truck sat nav

looking @ a new sat nav and these popped up on ebay- ebay.co.uk/itm/New-7-inch-Tr … 3cc08d0f3b
just wondered if anybody had any info on them?

Just had a look but it would worry me that it doesn’t say what make it is,but then I’m always suspicious of things being too cheap.

DOLLY BLACK SHEEP:
looking @ a new sat nav and these popped up on ebay- ebay.co.uk/itm/New-7-inch-Tr … 3cc08d0f3b
just wondered if anybody had any info on them?

Seems really cheap compared to most truck variant or any other sat navs. Usually the criteria is if it seems too good to be true then it usually is! However they request Paypal payment only so there is some protection. No sreen mount - just on the air vent but other wise seems the biz. Let us know when you have used yours - I will save the seller!

cheers guys and yes i agree Roadhog but i dunna really wanna spend £300-£400 on a sat nav tbh and i was worried about how cheap it was and i suppose you get what you pay for :frowning:there is a screen mount :smiley: feedback seems to be good too

Map book blah blah blah blah :laughing:

i know its an old satnav but if you can get a garmin 660fm (about £50 off ebay) it has a basic truck setting on it IE you wont be able to put height/weight but it will keep you to the major routes (motorway/a roads) ive had one for 4yrs (have just updated it to 2012 maps for £40) and its never let me down, in fact i bought a snooper and sold it 1 week later as it took me a couple of stupid ways different to my garmin

steve

Google maps is FREE!!!

barge pole= 10 ft= Don’t touch. :wink:

bigvern1:

can i ask y? :smiley:

bigvern1:

I agree, it has no make and comes with a stylus and a free bag :laughing: :laughing:

Chinese Sat-navs are very cheap to buy (like this one above).
What costs the money is the software that goes on it, you’re paying for the maps.
It’s very easy to pirate TomTom navcore and software (which is written in Linux language) and hack it to run on a Windows CE device such as this one.
Likewise, there’s Igo 8 and Primo software, Garmin and Mio maps that you can easily put on the device.
I suspect this is just a generic Chinese device (hence no brand name) with pirated software installed. Should work OK, and if it doesn’t, it’s very easy to put right given the Windows operating system.

I take no shame in admitting I pirate sat navs for the lads at work (put the latest maps on old units), I know a fair bit about them and for what it costs, I think this one listed is good value for money.
A better buy would be to just buy the device with no maps, then you can put your own maps on it (I’ve done a NavMan for a lad with 3 different map sets on it).

EDIT: the same seller sells the same satnav but with just car maps for £55. Bargain, I’d just buy that one and put the truck maps on meself, saves £25 quid :slight_smile:

got a navman tourer for xmas.£119 from halfords.This has a truck mode on it where you can put in the height,weight and length of vehicle.This gives you a months trial of the software.If you still want it you can purchase it for £70 for life.Seems ok so far and it a lot cheaper than truck specific sat navs.Get a truckers atlas to go with it though.

cieranc:
Chinese Sat-navs are very cheap to buy (like this one above).
What costs the money is the software that goes on it, you’re paying for the maps.
It’s very easy to pirate TomTom navcore and software (which is written in Linux language) and hack it to run on a Windows CE device such as this one.
Likewise, there’s Igo 8 and Primo software, Garmin and Mio maps that you can easily put on the device.
I suspect this is just a generic Chinese device (hence no brand name) with pirated software installed. Should work OK, and if it doesn’t, it’s very easy to put right given the Windows operating system.

and put the truck maps on meself, saves £25 quid :slight_smile:

I was gonna write that, but couldn’t be bothered. :wink:

I’ve got one and 2 times took me to the low bridge even there was another road with no low bridge on beside this road,there is no low bridge warning no weak bridge warning and all the time when im driving my works yard message pops dimentions of this vehicle is not suitable for this area,thank you but i would like to see this message when im getting closer to low bridge…useless software but device itself is good built qualty…

pronav.co.uk/ProNav_PNN300_SatNav.html

This is what i’ev got, about £250 i think it was and its bloody brilliant, honestly you couldnt expect a satnav to do more. Also there customer service is the best you’ll ever come across, unlike the other truck satnav companies these are a small british firm in hertford and any problems they’ll sort them straight out for you.

Saaamon:
http://www.pronav.co.uk/ProNav_PNN300_SatNav.html

This is what i’ev got, about £250 i think it was and its bloody brilliant, honestly you couldnt expect a satnav to do more. Also there customer service is the best you’ll ever come across, unlike the other truck satnav companies these are a small british firm in hertford and any problems they’ll sort them straight out for you.

I will second that a good basic Sanav does the job

There are ways if you buy a cheap TomTom something like a 530 and and buy an 4gb SD card you can put the official TomTom Truck maps on for free :slight_smile:

And then you can update it when the new maps are released. Speed Cams and all that stuff on too.

Garmin 650 LT truck sat nav

pretty good, especially if you dont have much knowledge, but better to use your own head if you know where you going, sometimes takes you loopy :d