Truck sat nav

robroy:
Tbf mate it’s 12 to 14 yr old tech in your cars, maybe the newer ones are better.

That’s true enough… :blush:

You can contact Tom Tom and request a discount via email.
I just had another lifetime 6250 with case for £292.00 delivered .
You need a tom tom account before you enquire :wink:

Beetlejuice:
You can contact Tom Tom and request a discount via email.
I just had another lifetime 6250 with case for £292.00 delivered .
You need a tom tom account before you enquire :wink:

■■■■■■■■!!
I paid £360 off Amazon for mine :open_mouth:

I’ve tried all kinds of Sat navs provided in various trucks and thought the other brands were rather cartoonish, but some like the style.

The TomTom 6000 is a bit laggy and tends to crash, so would recommend against it. Think the processor is very slow.

TomTom 6200 or 6250 are so much faster and will last longer in terms of updates. My 6250 has lifetime maps which is the expensive bit. Just have to pay for traffic and cameras. I use traffic a huge amount at night.

Quite a few of the agency people who come to our place esp on nights use phone apps on the dash (usually blocking the speedo), but then have to ask if there’s any low bridges. Guessing they don’t find the apps too reliable or they use Google maps.

One thing I always want to know about apps is where they get the data. Unless its licenced Tomtom or Here Maps, then its likely to be nicked and out of date Chinese crap.

Re getting a discount, it works on some sites but doubt Tomtom system is that advanced. Sometimes works on Amazon if you go look a few times at stuff esp on a weekend, but not to 90 quid.

Rob Roy, think your wife has hacked your account and is trying to wreck your rep! Its very unsettling not being told we’re daft as brushes…please tell her to stop. :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

my garmin is ancient and never updated but works ok if you can decipher turn right at the cross roads while looking at a brand new roundabout coming up ahead.

i used a chinky crapnav one built into my mega head unit last year to go to sweden and it was perfect the entire way from northern ireland as well as running the google one on my phone which was going to take me a couple of long roads for short cuts and wouldnt register at all for the time i went through germany ,( im well accustomed with the routes without them,but it was just to see where they wanted to take me.) as soon as it left german service it also worked well ( who won twice anyway?) although it wasnt taking the proper routes a cpl times.
id go for the throwaway option if i was buying one though so long as the old garmin works when im somewhere strange abroad then itl do just fine along with the phone.

best as said before,just couple it up with an eyeball and a brain.( obviously if your part of the Black Looting Mob then this requirement may somewhat be outwith your remit.) :slight_smile:

"trevHCS/:
Rob Roy, think your wife has hacked your account and is trying to wreck your rep! Its very unsettling not being told we’re daft as brushes…please tell her to stop. :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

I’m glad you said that, Rob does seem to be getting a bit softer lately :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DAF95XF:

"trevHCS/:

I’m glad you said that, Rob does seem to be getting a bit softer lately :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i think his brain is on overload as to when weatherspoons are opening again… :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:

DAF95XF:

"trevHCS/:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i think his brain is on overload as to when weatherspoons are opening again… :slight_smile:
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I must say I hate having to try to figure out which roads to take before a trip especially if you’re not familiar with the area. Worse still when I nearly took the roof of one of those dining bus trailer things they use on movie sets on the embankment north of Battersea its too easy to forget about low bridges on roads that you might only occasionally use, and if you manage to miss a sign somewhere and are presented with said bridge with limited turning around options it can make for a rather interesting day. I having realised that reversing across the previous junction (blind basically) wasn’t a practical option needed to use a bit of both pavements to spin round (without hurting any nuns or kittens) but do understand why these threads seem to come up on here so often.
I do think it would be nice to be able to follow the sat nav safe in the knowledge that it was highly unlikely that it would attempt to suggest using a route with a low bridge. Also these councils that insist in having 7.5t accept for access signs up do my nut also… very easy to use a prohibited piece of road assuming you must use it to get somewhere only to realise that you end up passing through the restriction prior to getting to the collection point a further 500 yards away… on one such occasion the suggested route was an easy option straight over 3 roundabouts as apposed to the correct route of turn left, turn right, turn left, turn right many of these being tight turns and half expecting to meet a width restriction meaning that I’d have to make my way back to the main road and travel a further 3 miles to come in from the other direction…
I would be nice if local authorities were required to publish all of these restrictions in an easy to import format and Sat nav companies were obliged to use the data, and drivers could not be penalised for such annoyances if the council failed to do so in a similar way to if they failed to put up the road signs concerning them.

Something else I’m curious about, do any of these HGV sat navs suggest taking the (n+1)th exit on a roundabout when for instance pulling a long trailer? I’ve seen a few with the suggested route for long vehicles thing and wondered if it would suggest approaching in the right lane to go around the roundabout in order to take tha 1st exit?
Had a weird one back in the day of using an old nokia phone with gps and near Goodwood suggested the 6th exit for some reason when there were only 5 available (and this was not a HGV app either, nokia maps)

At the end of my 3 month retirement trial period I thought I’d better update the maps on my tomtom 6000. Free for lifetime! That and traffic updates, which you do have to pay for annually, is the best thing about the 6000. Took about 8 hours! Anybody else got crappy WiFi? ;-(