Truck sat nav

I’ve just read the reviews on playstore for roadlords app. Not good…

trevorking1964:
I’ve just read the reviews on playstore for roadlords app. Not good…

If you consider a product still under development fase (beta), with a user rating of 4.3 out of 5 to be, not good, your expectations are way too high.
Reviews on apps are just feedback to the programing team on how to get it spot on.

Didn’t see the stars.
Read the actual reviews people had taken the time to write.
On the whole they were poor.
App isn’t fit for purpose yet.

Well I’ve ordered a TomTom 6250 and get it tomorrow so I’ll see how it compares to the 5150 I’ve got…

DAF95XF:
Well I’ve ordered a TomTom 6250 and get it tomorrow so I’ll see how it compares to the 5150 I’ve got…

I’ve got the 6250 does the job but as always you need to have some sort of savey to use it.
Mine still don’t pick up on the temp weight limit in bath so when going particular routes just go into the settings and put avoid into the Particular route. Most of the time once I’ve been there I don’t need the nav but good for knowing that hold up so to nip in the services for that 15 min wk time break.
On the + side you don’t need to connect it to your phone.
As for updates log on to your home or any free WiFi. I’ve sometimes done my updated in Tesco while tipping.

dozy:
I ordered a Tom Tom ( can’t remember model ) but sent it back , I tried it out & put in Grantham - rugby , for a reason I can’t understand it wanted to turn right in Waltham on the wolds ( which I think is a 7.5t limit , did it every time , why it just didn’t head to Melton Mowbray I don’t know
Got a snooper , & other than taking me up a bus route in Wolverhampton & it’s flat refusal to take you through the dart ford tunnels ( tries to re route you , and then shows a bloke on screen when you come out tunnels ( I’m guessing it thinks pedestrian ) it’s perfect , London , anywhere
Nb fine with all tunnels bar dart ford
Think it was £400 , mrs went on for months when found out price , £1000 s of pounds on tanning , nails , spa weekends , health clubs , hair etc ,clothes though is fine apparently !!!

So the TomTom makes one mistake and you send it back and the Snooper makes two and you call it ‘perfect’… living up to that reputation for not being the brightest button in the box I see :smiley:

Tomtom truck nav is the one to beat in my opinion.
As with any sat nav, use it with some common sense.
Very happy with mine overall.

biggriffin:
My tuppence…
TomTom 6520 professional wifi.

I’m guessing you meant 6250, if so then +1 for the recommendation, I’ve got this model too.
The lifetime traffic updates definitely worth the £40 more than the next model down (6200).

All satnavs are fallible and I wouldn’t say the 6520 is any different, plus it lacks some features that I really liked about earlier pro satnavs, but on the whole I don’t regret my purchase - the wifi updating facility is really convenient compared to earlier models.

nick2008:

DAF95XF:

I’ve got the 6250 does the job but as always you need to have some sort of savey to use it.
Mine still don’t pick up on the temp weight limit in bath so when going particular routes just go into the settings and put avoid into the Particular route. Most of the time once I’ve been there I don’t need the nav but good for knowing that hold up so to nip in the services for that 15 min wk time break.
On the + side you don’t need to connect it to your phone.
As for updates log on to your home or any free WiFi. I’ve sometimes done my updated in Tesco while tipping.

I know how to get around the bridge in Bath anyway being an ex coach driver based in Bath :wink:
I got the new satnav yesterday but I was on a night out last night so got to play with it when I got home today :sunglasses:
Was looking forward to using it tonight but Sod’s law says I’m going to places I’ve been to before… :unamused:

Anybody else tried messing around with the settings on the roadlords app to see what route it suggests? I tried a vehicle height of 6 metres and for the hell of it I also tried 10 metres and 100m. I was a bit concerned it still suggested using bits of the M25 known to have overbridges probably at 5.2 metres (or whatever) but I’ve yet to see any 100m trailers on any road!!!

In all seriousness however I had set a route into France and I was under the impression that 5 metre trailers weren’t allowed over there as the bridges are little ove 4m?

How confident can you be that this app wont get you into trouble somewhere??

I hate my tomtom 6000 I think it is. It’s a laggy, crashy pile of ■■■ that doesn’t understand how weight limits work. Also doesn’t show low bridges and weight limits on the map like my old snooper did. The only good thing I can say about it is the live traffic (which I have to pay for yearly) is very good.
When this years has expired I’m binning it.

After reading various reviews on the TomTom 6250 and after speaking to a mate who’s almost a professional blagger I’ve decided that my very old Snooper has to go. It still shows all the roundabouts on the A1 and tries to send me the “wrong” side of Ferrybrdge power station.

Anyhoo I digress; following my mates advice I clicked on the Tom Tom but didn’t press buy, (I refuse to pay £350 for a bloody sat nav) instead I added it to my basket. He reckons that their algorithms or whatever will see that and keep discounting it. He reckons I’ll eventually get it for around £90. I think it’s ■■■■■■■■, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

the maoster:
After reading various reviews on the TomTom 6250 and after speaking to a mate who’s almost a professional blagger I’ve decided that my very old Snooper has to go. It still shows all the roundabouts on the A1 and tries to send me the “wrong” side of Ferrybrdge power station.

Anyhoo I digress; following my mates advice I clicked on the Tom Tom but didn’t press buy, (I refuse to pay £350 for a bloody sat nav) instead I added it to my basket. He reckons that their algorithms or whatever will see that and keep discounting it. He reckons I’ll eventually get it for around £90. I think it’s ■■■■■■■■, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Shop around, get the WiFi model, mine cost £240 from Argo’s, lifetime everything, uses data from ya phone.

Still too rich for my tastes my friend. Sub £100 is what I’m prepared to pay for something in reality that I could do without.

the maoster:
Still too rich for my tastes my friend. Sub £100 is what I’m prepared to pay for something in reality that I could do without.

I still can’t believe standard car ones are still expensive, given that most new cars come with them now and have done for last few years.

Btw…Take note Reef, this is the first sat nav thread I’ve contributed to, where I’ve resisted taking the ■■■■ out of those daft enough to fork out 3 to 4 hundred quid for one. :sunglasses:
I’m deffo improving. :smiley:

Go on ebay and pay about forty quid. They do the job and even tell you what bra size to wear.

the maoster:

Me too. Only satnav I have found good for routing is Here Maps. A truck satnav is a mixed blessing - I had to go to Bakkavor-Harlow last week. The factory is huge next to a housing estate and the only way to get there is using common sense… you have to take the 7.5T (except for access) road. Any satnav is only an aid and route planning is a must. If you can’t update maps every month try something else.

ytrehodluap:
How confident can you be that this app wont get you into trouble somewhere??

Think anything under 4m has to be signed. Plus max running height is 4m.

On the quoted point. The same can be said for anything from a free app to a expensive Tom Tom/Garmin/whatever. They all act as guidance not instruction and will absolve themselves of blame somehwere in the T&Cs.

As ever, the mark one eyeball comes into play. That being that if you look at something and don’t like it, don’t do it.

robroy:
I still can’t believe standard car ones are still expensive, given that most new cars come with them now and have done for last few years.

My 58 plate Audi has a satnav built in but it’s ■■■■!!
My other half’s 56 plate Toyota Avensis has a very basic built in one but we’ve not used it yet…
Much rather use google maps in the car tbh…

DAF95XF:

robroy:

My 58 plate Audi has a satnav built in but it’s [zb]!!
My other half’s 56 plate Toyota Avensis has a very basic built in one but we’ve not used it yet…
Much rather use google maps in the car tbh…

Tbf mate it’s 12 to 14 yr old tech in your cars, maybe the newer ones are better.
It’s a half decent sat nav in the wife’s Mondeo, although that too is now 6 years old, but it’s only used on last leg of a journey to find a certain street, hotel etc, so I suppose any would do for what we use it for.
The one in my Navara I’ve used once just to try it, seems ok also for what I want.

In truck 5 yr old Tom Tom car one, which I update if I find myself to be appearing to be driving through a field when I look at it :smiley: , so it’s fine for me, …although as I said they still seem to be a bit expensive if ever I needed to replace it.