Truck Sat-Nav S/Ware

Greetings Everypeeps! Just gained Cat C after 24yrs as an on-site joiner (fancied a radical change). Obviously a bit cautious & twitchy about the many compromising situations im bound to encounter on our over-subscribed roads, so my defensive armoury so far includes a Tom Tom Go! Live 825 and a Philips Navigator truckers atlas. Random surfing last night, I stumbled across the proCAB+ software from HGVSOLUTIONS.COM, offering low bridge, height & weight route avoidance goodies. I know that a lot of supposed truck-friendly software is at best disappointing, so I was wondering if any brethren out there could shed any light as to whether this product is worth investing in? It looks promising but Ill always trust a users viewpoint over the developer`s blurb!! Into battle with C+E in mind for some time in the new Year!

I’ll get in before this turns into a debate on the need for a satnav.

I bought a (relatively) cheap HGV satnav 18 months ago, and it sort of ‘did the job’ right up to trying to lead me under a 10’6" bridge.

I recently bought a TomTom truck satnav and cannot believe the difference. Much more accurate, clearer to follow, super quick to respond and recalculate routes, live traffic information, I could go on and on. It was the best £320 i have spent in years. I use it in conjunction with my Phillips truck atlas and my eyeballs.

My thinking (now at least) is this: When you were a joiner did you buy those lovely chisel sets sold at pound shops? They do hammers and spirit levels as well you know.

I consider a satnav to be a ‘tool of my trade’ so I bought a good one.

Right - the debate about whether you need one or not can now begin… :smiley:

Hi Alan - Thanks for taking the time to respond & for the bonus chuckle! I certainly take the point that you only ever get what you pay for. Id better buy a larger christmas stocking & start dropping the heavyweight hints! I can get by in the shorter term with HD Traffic included on my 825 but wouldnt object to a few early warnings on the restrictions front, so ill try to glean some reviews to see if this softwares worth the £50 download price until I can afford to go big league! Thanks again bruv!!

Have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=103676&p=1612128#p1612128

proCAB from HGVSolutions.com is nothing more than a set of POIs, you still have to work out the route yourself.

£50 is a lot to pay for POIs that are probably freely available on the Internet :frowning:

If you’re interested you should be able to turn your Tomtom 825 into a proper truck sat-nav without cost.

Google Navitotal.com or gpsunderground.com :wink:

Really appreciate the pointers, guys - will spend some time over the w/e trawling through this new cache of helpful info & see if I can latch onto something that vaguely resembles an informed choice! Lovin how u all offer your time & acquired knowledge to help us freshies get on the right track! If the rest of society adopted the same mindset, life would be a lot less challenging! Much respect to you. Ill be back!

Subsequent research has revealed that a large number of the new tomtom range (inc. my own Go!825) will simply not support any truck s/ware, so dont get caught out thinking you can add this stuff afterwards. This is all to do with tts microsoft/FAT32 spat & the resulting return to their own Linux format. If ya want truck capability, dig deeper & start looking at the 5150 and upwards (or get an older model).