Truck mounted crane (Hiab) age

Hello,

I just wondered what your views were on working life span/age of truck mounted cranes?

I know its very hard to give any sort of opinion with so many variables that could affect the answer! but, in general, Do you trade in after ‘X’ number of years to save issues or for safety reasons?

Reason being is I’ve seen a 2001 Fassi I’m interested in. Its in good overall condition, nice and smooth, clean etc… apparently had new pins and an overhaul in 2013 but its still a 15 year old crane and from what i can gather the crane manufactures work on a 15-20 year working life by simulating a working life on a test bench until something snaps.

Its a big crane (80tm) so If it is near the end of its life its going to be a big bill.

Any help/opinions much appreciated

Don’t bother as my firm has a 16 year old crane on a 2008 Iveco and its knackered and needs 20k spent just to keep it working

I bought a 14 t/m palfinger a yr 2000 for £3450 , ive done nothing more than I expected ,all new pipes £1000 ,had 1 new leg made and 1 new rod £900, various other small bits ,also a 50 t/m copma which was £15000 now stands at £25000 new remote gear new pipes ,new king post bushes ect ect,lookin back the palfinger is ok but perhaps the copma should of had new Chinese bs Acb .as for the age / condition if you were looking at old bonfig or the cheep likes I’d say forget it but genuine hiab ect should still be in good structural shape if not been abused .

Some companies crane trucks tend to use the crane very seldom, which with regular servicing/lack of abuse are good for a long, long time as they are generally very well made solid structures. whereas if a crane has been lifting near its capacity constantly for its life its going to a bit tired. easy enough to tell if one has been looked after or not. if unsure probably best to get someone who is experienced in that field to have a god look/play about with the crane.

Hi All,

Many thanks for your quick responses, you’ve all made some very valid points. Ive had the crane and truck inspected by a friend and although it is in good condition its working life has a few question marks hence my concern for fatigue and big bills.

Still can’t get my head around Chinese stuff! I know they build some amazing stuff out there and have done for years but i just can’t stop thinking its cheap for a reason! Maybe i should ask around a bit more.

Thanks Again

Hi
I have a 6x2 Iveco stralis 07 with 08 Palfinger 42t/m for sale. Crane totally overhauled a year ago with brand new remote by TMC in Stoke.