Truck mag article by Lucy Radley

In a mag,Lucy wrote about Irish companies and drivers earning £1000 per week,but now only £700 to £800 per week.And a journey from Southern Spain to Ireland that took 17 hours of driving.And blank tachos without the dates put on,that get filled in later.Did anyone see the article,and what are your comments,on how the Irish used to run bent.If one driver did Calais to Malaga in one hit,all the rest were expected to do the same.If he can do it,why cant you attitude from TM`s.The customers are no better,expect drivers to run a Sunday from Naples,Italy,on a 7 th day of working.
One driver from 1991,would run from Dieppe to Lisbon in one hit,stopping only for bodily functions and the odd 20 minute shut eye.On the wire/fuse.Guys doing it legally were late,and got rid off.
Ghost tachos,putting Mickey Mouse names on the charts,and mysterious fires,where the shed caught fire when the Ministry of Transport inspector was due for a visit to the yard,to check past tacho records.The dog ate them,was in cited in one transport tribunal for offences.

wounder if they want any drivers :grimacing:

globby 480:
wounder if they want any drivers :grimacing:

MMTM that many irish drivers are recording songs and taking a shot at the top spot on the top 40 because they seem very good a ONE HIT WONDERS :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

yeah yeah

coat,hat, TAXI :exclamation: :exclamation:

Waltons run legal,home every 2 weeks,good pay,clean work.Did they have the Panasonic work,and Dell computers work.■■? :sunglasses:

Ahh!! Those happy days of yesteryear. Thanks for reminding me of them Toby :laughing: :laughing: When we were all so busy grafting that we did not spend long hours, like drivers do now , on TNUK, tapping away on those keyboards, grumbling about " The Wages-The Waggon-The Boss- and of course Eddie Stobart". :unamused: :unamused: Nostalgia. Its not like it used to be. :smiley: :smiley:

Buycrider:
Ahh!! Those happy days of yesteryear. Thanks for reminding me of them Toby :laughing: :laughing: When we were all so busy grafting that we did not spend long hours, like drivers do now , on TNUK, tapping away on those keyboards, grumbling about " The Wages-The Waggon-The Boss- and of course Eddie Stobart". :unamused: :unamused: Nostalgia. Its not like it used to be. :smiley: :smiley:

its the 21st century man, get with it. :grimacing: :grimacing: we multi task nowadays, drive while typing :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Cruise Control:

Buycrider:

its the 21st century man, get with it. :grimacing: :grimacing: we multi task nowadays, drive while typing :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

But plodding along at 53 mph you can afford to type and drive whereas Padddy would have found it a lot more difficult to type while driving a V8 Scanny at 80 mph+ and he needed one hand to change gear and the other to throw tacho charts out the window like frizzbies.Anyway wish I was running international for an Irish firm instead of uk night trunking for a British one in 1991 and anyway she should have been at home looking after the kids instead of typing away grumbling about what the Paddys might have been doing in '91.

Enough of the Paddy whackerylads. If drivers run bent according to this forum, theyre either Polish or Irish. Try looking a bit nearer home instead of taking pot shots at either. Less of the im holier than thou attitude, im sure youve all done something naughty in the past.

I,m with you on this one busyboy. I,m Scouse. :grimacing: :grimacing: “Something Naughty”■■ Something downright Criminal more like. I,ve still got some Tacho and Speed-limiter fuses in a frame on the mantlepiece, as memoes of times gone by. :laughing: :laughing:

toby1234abc:
And a journey from Southern Spain to Ireland that took 17 hours of driving.

Bottom of Spain to Ireland in 17 hours :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Zb me it’s got to be about 2000k’s to Roscoff for boat to Ireland, your be telling me they went Calais and through England next :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

2000k’s in 17 hours in 1991 bloody 'ell i never used to hang about but come on :unamused: :unamused:

Perhaps its just me eh.

Aw come on Joe., you can,t have been trying. Whoever it was had only averaged 72Mph. (and about 4 miles per gallon).That allows a bit of time for a couple of slashes en route, and a good kip on the ferry. :wink: :wink: Anyway. Rog must be asleep, so in his absence. Welcome to the Funny Farm. You don,t have to be mad :angry: :angry: to do well on here, but it does help if you are :laughing: :laughing: .

country.joe:

toby1234abc:

Bottom of Spain to Ireland in 17 hours :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Zb me it’s got to be about 2000k’s to Roscoff for boat to Ireland, your be telling me they went Calais and through England next :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

2000k’s in 17 hours in 1991 bloody 'ell i never used to hang about but come on :unamused: :unamused:

Perhaps its just me eh.

busyboy:
Enough of the Paddy whackerylads. If drivers run bent according to this forum, theyre either Polish or Irish. Try looking a bit nearer home instead of taking pot shots at either. Less of the im holier than thou attitude, im sure youve all done something naughty in the past.

out of interest then:

if a polish and irish lorry driver both had a load each to go to the south of spain and they both left ireland at 4am monday morning who’d get there first :question: :question: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

groovy greg:

country.joe:

toby1234abc:

Zb me it’s got to be about 2000k’s to Roscoff for boat to Ireland, your be telling me they went Calais and through England next :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :l

busyboy:
Enough of the Paddy whackerylads. If drivers run bent according to this forum, they`re either Polish or Irish. Try looking a bit nearer home instead of taking pot shots at either.

out of interest then:

if a polish and irish lorry driver both had a load each to go to the south of spain and they both left ireland at 4am monday morning who’d get there first :question: :question: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

The Paddy would win because the Pole would be too Pished and punch the wrong adress in his satnav :grimacing:

busyboy:

Exactly lad, its all a bit of a fascination with the Irish. The beanos are the worst id say but seem to get away with it. Why didnt LUCY do a write up on one hit wonder UK hauliers?? Why Irish??

■■■■■■ me off when people keep going on about the Irish, ■■■■■■ me off when I go to RDC’s and you get ■■■■■ from Reed & Boardall coming up to me asking if al be hitting it home in a one’r…

Saying this, in the near 3 years ive been driving. ive been stopped 3 times by VOSA, twice were in a UK reg lorry pulling for Coulthards and once in my Manfreight wagon with Norfolkline trailer at Castle Kennedy. I infact drove by just this week Stafford, with Vosa man running alongside me, for him to drive ahead and pull an ENGLISHMAN instead of me, so surely weaint that bad…

I think people just like to hear tales of what the Irish supopsedly do, makes them moist and wet, gives them a story to tell further down teh line or at there next stop…

scottishcruiser:

busyboy:

Exactly lad, its all a bit of a fascination with the Irish. The beanos are the worst id say but seem to get away with it. Why didnt LUCY do a write up on one hit wonder UK hauliers?? Why Irish??

■■■■■■ me off when people keep going on about the Irish, ■■■■■■ me off when I go to RDC’s and you get [zb] from Reed & Boardall coming up to me asking if al be hitting it home in a one’r…

Saying this, in the near 3 years ive been driving. ive been stopped 3 times by VOSA, twice were in a UK reg lorry pulling for Coulthards and once in my Manfreight wagon with Norfolkline trailer at Castle Kennedy. I infact drove by just this week Stafford, with Vosa man running alongside me, for him to drive ahead and pull an ENGLISHMAN instead of me, so surely weaint that bad…

I think people just like to hear tales of what the Irish supopsedly do, makes them moist and wet, gives them a story to tell further down teh line or at there next stop…

because the brits didnt have time to stop and give a quote for a magazine story, were as the paddy looked at his watch and saw how far ahead of schedule he was he had plenty of time to give a quote :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing:

coat hat taxi.

When i worked on the containners out of felixstowe in the 90s for a british firm 90% of drivers employed by them had a wire fitted to there f12 the limiter only worked when you wanted it to we could do felixstowe to manchester in 5 hours non stop we would get to our drop the night before and the daliy hours were about 18 to 20 hours. we would sleep while being tipped so could get 3 to 4 hours during the day and 6 at nite. They were not the good old days But my wallet was never empty allways had money But i am very good now :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: From a English Driver.there are plenty of bent ones out there

country.joe:

toby1234abc:

Perhaps its just me eh.

back in 1991 when we had 141 scanias,there was no problem.
the truck would do 120 mph and thats with a load of oranges from valencia and maybe 22tonne of steel under it from barcelona all neatly loaded in the fridge…
17hrs,the lazy ■■■■■■■■
could do it in one shift. :smiley: :smiley:

this is another case of british tabloid crap,the mags will print anything to sell.
they are no better than the daily mirror.star/sun.
remember paper never refuses ink.
the people who read these articles and believe them are getting great value for their money.

For the record, I chose that subject precisely because I was sick of the blarney about the Irish and wanted to find out the truth. All 3 people interviewed were members here who volunteered to help me. Any of those who object could easily have answered the plea themselves. And if you actually bothered to read it you’d see that it couldn’t have been more balanced, and made it clear that it’s unfair to paint the Irish black these days.

Lucy:
For the record, I chose that subject precisely because I was sick of the blarney about the Irish and wanted to find out the truth. All 3 people interviewed were members here who volunteered to help me. Any of those who object could easily have answered the plea themselves. And if you actually bothered to read it you’d see that it couldn’t have been more balanced, and made it clear that it’s unfair to paint the Irish black these days.

“And if you actually bothered to read it you’d see that it couldn’t have been more balanced, and made it clear that it’s unfair to paint the Irish black these days”
Even in them days it is unfair to tarnish the Irish…We were ALL as bad as one an another
“Blarney…Truth”
Why anyone would want to read or believe the Jackanory stories !!!. No wonder sales of magazine are going downhill FAST.

I wasn’t talking about anyone else though, was I? That wasn’t the brief. :unamused:

However, it would be interesting to expand this area into UK people who have run bent in the past but don’t any more, and what made them change - or not, as the case may be. If anyone’s up for being interviewed on the subject, do drop me a PM. I’ll do it under the same conditions as I did for the guys who helped with the Irish piece, in that so long as I[/i] know your real name and who you were on for, no-one else needs to. :bulb:
Ps. T&D’s sales aren’t actually going down, by the way. :wink: