Truck lift

Hi guys
had a very strange delivery this week to a place near Monument tube station in the big smoke
had to drive my 18T Eurocargo into a lift that took me to the basement then onto a turntable to spin me so I could back onto a bay deliver 5 lockers than back to the lift and upto the surface.

What a strange loading area and a strange sensation. Never before have I used a lift this big. Felt very odd.

Any of you guys had similar oddball experiences. :question: :question: :question:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Get some photos next time JC , sounds a bit different from the norm.

I had to reverse a US registered exhibition trailer onto a huge Russian transport plane at the end of the Paris Airshow, It had to be back in the States for refurbing before being shipped back to Europe again.

Tried all sorts of ways to convince the Yanks it would be quicker if they flew me and the truck with it, and I would deliver it to Kansas but no joy :cry: :cry:

yeah very different

pity I didnt have a camera with me. Its also a M&S delivery point so maybe someone can get pics as I doubt I’ll go again.

Been on a few ferries that have lifts instead of ramps to take you to the upper decks. Also had a couple of turntable experiences a few years ago when delivering a computer system to an office building in Switzerland.

I have had two strange experiences, one with a lift, one with a turntable but at two different places.

The lift was on a ferry where you drive on, up to a block end, then it lowers you 3 decks and you reverse off, it was bloody tight and you have no mirrors, just a bloke who walks after you and you follow his fingers with the wheel. To get out, you stand on the lift to go up, before they send the next truck down.

The turntable was in a factory in Lincoln, it doubled as a railway turntable and was originally used for trams. I cant remember which company but I think it was one of the Ruston factories

Been on lots of turntables in Asda and the like down in London - limited space for yard = turntable.

Never been on a lift yet though, sounds like fun, can you hear the usual lift music or just Radio 2 in your cab?

waynedl:
Been on lots of turntables in Asda and the like down in London - limited space for yard = turntable.

Now you mention it I think I was on a turntable at an Asda store when I was working out of the Bedford CDC on the agency for a while. I can’t for the life of me remember which one though, I was thinking Southgate but I think that was just a really tight one that you accessed down an ‘S’ shaped ramp?

waynedl:
Never been on a lift yet though, sounds like fun, can you hear the usual lift music or just Radio 2 in your cab?

Being someone who is not a great lover of heights it wasn’t music you heard when I was in the truck on a lift, it was just the sound of my arse trying to grip the seat as much as possible. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

This is pretty different, cracking photo as well.

chester:
This is pretty different, cracking photo as well.

3…2…1…

Lift off!!!

chester:

VOSA just want more and more from the daily checks.

Coffeeholic:

waynedl:

Now you mention it I think I was on a turntable at an Asda store when I was working out of the Bedford CDC on the agency for a while. I can’t for the life of me remember which one though, I was thinking Southgate but I think that was just a really tight one that you accessed down an ‘S’ shaped ramp?

Denis F:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VktZ_MTraY

Denis, you beat me to my party trick :smiling_imp:

I had that one all lined up (forgive the pun :laughing: ) as I was reading the thread.

:arrow_right: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60626&start=30

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

chester:

VOSA just want more and more from the daily checks.

Quite an angle for the engine to be at

I’ve been delivering once some lighting to the Wolsztyn Steam Engine depot (the last one in Europe working in normal traffic, not for the tourist*) and they were doing some manuevres and gave me a ride, including the turntable.

Here you have (not mine, just random from google) the movie:

and pic

It’s the very same turntable and the same model of the engine (Pt 47, don’t know if the same one though).

That wasn’t part of my delivery, but I was there on business, is that counts? :wink:

*) well, off course it’s a huge attraction, and this is the reason why they keep it alive, so there are plenty of tourist, retro trains rides available and a biggest meeting of Steam Engines in Europe every long may weekend, but the idea is that the locomotives are pulling passenger trains (to PoznaÅ„), cargo trains and doing maneuvres on the station - so you can see how it works, and not only some engine fired up once in the months or something to pull overpriced retro train.
Worth to mention that when Polish State Railways were about to scrap the Steam Engine Depot, there was an rich English guy, who offered to pay difference between running Diesel and Steam engines just to see them running…
It wasn’t possible due to beaurocratic reason, but that prompted Railway management to change their decission and keep the Depota alive. Today profits from the tourists makes well the difference and allow some investition in historical vehicles…
If you speak with the security, they can even let you in the shed at night where two or three machines are under the steam - I did it once when I was driving past at 3am, they said “two shovels of coal to each one and you don’t need to pay” (but I am familiar with the railway, I used to be a big steam engine fan (I still love them) and had finished railway-orientated college.
So if you ever passing Wolsztyn in Western Poland, pop in it’s worth it (there is plenty of lorry parking space at night and it’s just off the national 32 road, actually if you go West-East you will see the station from the bridge, then just turn right and right again over level crossing. You can also spend a night in old train crew hostel.
Sorry for that off topic, but this is just one of my favourites places ever.

Have a look at this site, there are a couple of sites in London that have specced Lorry lifts.

lodige.co.uk/case-studies/default.aspx?id=5

Loedige are about the best manufacturer of these lifts