Truck Inverters

A couple of questions about inverters if I may.

My last inverter was 15 months old then it stopped working, is this normal or was I just unlucky?

And what is the better choice, a 12v inverter or a 24v inverter? My shaky knowledge of electricity tells me that a 24v inverter will draw less current as it won’t also be heating the inbuilt voltage dropper, have I got this right?

Finally, isn’t it time that truck manufacturers fitted a mains socket as standard, as well as fitting more 12v and 24v outlets? This has always seemed to be a major shortcoming with trucks, and although the world moves on, the truck design world doesn’t seem to :wink:

a 24v for a truck is the best in my opinion.
that way you can wire it straight to the batteries.
if you go through a dropper with a 12v one, you are asking for trouble. too much load on those thin wires.
if you go to ribble auto electrics at preston (redscar i think). they will fit it for you.
they are also a lot cheaper than truckstops etc. and if you have any problems, just go in and they will take it out and put another in straight away.
you could try maplin. but you won’t get the right cables and fitting. and they won’t fit it.

Depends on how hard you were working it IMO. I’ve had an inverter in my cab for 2 years & no problems. I drive a TGA so take advantage of the 12 volt outlet, saying that I do have it wired via the socket inside the dash rather than using a Hella plug.

I’ve got a 150w 24v inverter , I’ve had it about 5 or 6 years and it’s still works fine.

hi there i just fitted some 1500 watt inverters in to 2 trucks on our fleet straight into the main feed under te dash 24 volt a must i think,ardent in leeds very good :sunglasses:

gonzdaf:
hi there i just fitted some 1500 watt inverters in to 2 trucks on our fleet straight into the main feed under te dash 24 volt a must i think,ardent in leeds very good :sunglasses:

Welcome to the board fella!

Which unit are you talking about?