Truck Head lights

Is it just me or do other people find that truck headlights arnt very good i was thinking of getting a extra lighting looked at the kelsa light bars buit there quiert expensive concidering the trucks not mine, any cheap alternatives out there that any one nos of

get the light bars off Ebay, usually second hand bars are cheaper and come with the lamps, just make sure you get the fitting kit with them though

Quote… ‘’ Is it just me or do other people find that truck headlights arnt very good’’

Most of em look OK to me, especially coming the other way and dazzle me while driving a car.

i think the ones on volvos are crap to be honest,rest of wagons i’ve driven the headlights seem fine.
on some volvos,i end up driving with the high beam on with that dipped mode they have,just seems only way to get some decent light on the road to see whats on it & where your going

bjd:
Is it just me or do other people find that truck headlights arnt very good i was thinking of getting a extra lighting looked at the kelsa light bars buit there quiert expensive concidering the trucks not mine, any cheap alternatives out there that any one nos of

Go to Specsavers ? (other opticians are available)

jrl driver:
i think the ones on volvos are crap to be honest,rest of wagons i’ve driven the headlights seem fine.
on some volvos,i end up driving with the high beam on with that dipped mode they have,just seems only way to get some decent light on the road to see whats on it & where your going

I think maybe you’re blind :wink: I drive Volvo’s and I think they’re some of the best lights around…DAF’s lights are still the same from the 80’s, and Scanias lights are from when time began.

Adam_Mc:

jrl driver:

I think maybe you’re blind :wink: I drive Volvo’s and I think they’re some of the best lights around…DAF’s lights are still the same from the 80’s, and Scanias lights are from when time began.

The lights on my Alpha are good I rarely have to use full beam. The old Fodens I’ve driven weren’t great on dipped but I’ve read Yank trucks are even worse…

Muckaway:

Adam_Mc:

jrl driver:

The lights on my Alpha are good I rarely have to use full beam. The old Fodens I’ve driven weren’t great on dipped but I’ve read Yank trucks are even worse…

Yeah but yank trucks are worse in every way except space to sleep. But so many trucks nowadays, and brand new ones still use halogen bulbs instead of Bi-Xenon. As a little test…next time people drive at night, people should roughly count on how many trucks they see with blown headlight bulbs…bet you the vast majority are DAF’s and Scanias with their crap halogen bulbs.

I think one big problem is the fact very few trucks have adjustable lights so you can change the angle of the beam…I think they should be made standard.

Mine’s got adjustable beam and it’s 6 years old…

i drive a daf are there better bulb options that might improve night driving ?

Muckaway:

Yeah but I bet it wasn’t a standard fit. Some of the volvo’s I used to drive (54 plate) at Keystone/McDonalds had adjustable beams…some didn’t. It’s always an option, but something I feel should be standard…just like remote central locking too…I can understand truck technology lagging behind cars a bit, but I think it lags behind far to much.

Adam_Mc:

Muckaway:

Yeah but I bet it wasn’t a standard fit. Some of the volvo’s I used to drive (54 plate) at Keystone/McDonalds had adjustable beams…some didn’t. It’s always an option, but something I feel should be standard…just like remote central locking too…I can understand truck technology lagging behind cars a bit, but I think it lags behind far to much.

Pretty sure it was as the only optional extras we used to get back then was fake wood effect dash covering that shows all the dust when the firm was too tight to fit air con. Re central locking our only ones with that are the Daf CFs not even the Volvo FEs have that.

Muckaway:

Adam_Mc:

Muckaway:

Pretty sure it was as the only optional extras we used to get back then was fake wood effect dash covering that shows all the dust when the firm was too tight to fit air con. Re central locking our only ones with that are the Daf CFs not even the Volvo FEs have that.

Maybe it was standard spec for your company, but not standard fit? My '98 Volvo S40 T4 has adjustable range lights. What are MAN’s like for kit? They top level ones look great and I know they’re very expensive…wonder if they’ve got the kit to back up their price tag though.

bjd:

BJD!! Why bother? You can just place your laptop on the dashboard of your Truck and open the Trucknet homepage!! And there you have Instant daylight!!!

Volvo lights are crap drive with mine on full beam and nobody notices !!! Sorted the interior lights out tho I have put trl lights in instead of the little crap bulbs, you have to take the clear plastic cover off to make them fit…but its like Blackpool in here now :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Adam_Mc:
I think one big problem is the fact very few trucks have adjustable lights so you can change the angle of the beam…I think they should be made standard.

On Merc Actros, its automatic & has been for quite some years now.
If you get a bounce on, on a rough road, you can see them moving up & down.

Adam_Mc:

jrl driver:

Maybe neither of you is blind :wink: “Old” Volvo’s (FH’s before 2002) had great H4 halogen headlights in dipped mode but “new” Volvo’s (from 2002 onwards) headlights have mixed performance in dipped mode. With H7 halogen bulbs they are mostly crap, especially when it’s dark and wet. On the other hand, with xenon headlight bulbs they illuminate road in a very, very nice fashion, even when it’s wet and dirt begins to cover headlights.

What kind of roads are we talking about op? If you’re a timber terrorist going down some dodgy roads then yes a lightbar would be beneficial but if you’re just cutting about the doors on A/B roads then whats wrong with full beam?

Adam_Mc:

im pretty sure any truck with rear air suspension has automatic or in cab manual adjusting headlights

Eat more carrots I hear they help you see better in the dark, cheaper than a lightbar :smiley: