Truck firms hit with record €3bn EU fine for price fixing

bbc.co.uk/news/business-36832521
commercialmotor.com/news/fiv … uck-cartel

I’m struggling to find a reason for firms not to past on the cost of ever more stricter emissions controls. Do Governments honestly expect vehicle manufacturers to spend money to achieve these targets and then merely “take the hit” rather than increasing the cost of their product.

Or am I misunderstanding the article?

As I understand it, its not that they passed on the costs but arranged to fix the charges amongst them all rather than let natural market forces come into play or at least that’s how I read this bit

they co-ordinated truck pricing and colluded on passing on the costs of compliance with emissions rules between 1997 and 2011.

the maoster:
I’m struggling to find a reason for firms not to past on the cost of ever more stricter emissions controls. Do Governments honestly expect vehicle manufacturers to spend money to achieve these targets and then merely “take the hit” rather than increasing the cost of their product.

Or am I misunderstanding the article?

I think you are misunderstanding. The problem is not that they increased their prices to cover the emissions stuff, rather that they got together to agree pricing between themselves, thus defeating the idea of a free market.

Point taken gents, ta.

crooks the lot of them.

I thought some of the AD BLUE parts were a bit expensive and were not fit for the job but what can you

The whole emission thing is a bloody big con, yes we can’t go around spewing poison from our exhausts, but the big picture here is that lorries are now obsolete in 3yrs and with all the junk nailed on them they’re forever needing work done on them, work that can only be done within the manufacturer’s service network as they need plugging in to software that only they possess.

It’s a bloody scandal, we’re being ripped off from ■■■■■■■■ to breakfast and the manufacturers are raking it in.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The pollution caused in making a new truck massively outweighs any emissions benefit. Let trucks wear out and die not be artificially culled in the pretence we’re making the planet cleaner!
As for the pollution caused making Li battery packs…

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

I agree with newmercman. There’s supposedly not enough oil left to destroy the planet anyway so why waste it injecting 6 times per cycle to bring emissions down. We should be focused on conserving it rather than the futile goal of clean fossil fuel consumption

Add blue is far more “green”

You just have to carry 50 litres of water more or less round plus the tackle to inject it then you got the cat and now we got the DPF.
You got to mine the Iridium or platinum from somewhere you just bombed, then you got to build the factories to produce this crap and the infrastructure to distribute it.

Cant really see why folk this “green technology” is a con can you?

Bking:
Add blue is far more “green”

You just have to carry 50 litres of water more or less round plus the tackle to inject it then you got the cat and now we got the DPF.
You got to mine the Iridium or platinum from somewhere you just bombed, then you got to build the factories to produce this crap and the infrastructure to distribute it.

Cant really see why folk this “green technology” is a con can you?

Now your talking sense for once