Truck fires

Having just seen the latest pics from the A1 crash, Thanks Contraflow, Can somebody explain why trucks catch fire so easily these days?

I have been driving trucks, 7.5T up to 44T, for the last 44 years. :open_mouth: :unamused: :open_mouth:
We used to light fires under the fuel tank so that the derv would flow! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Now, it seems that a sometimes small accident, I am not saying that this is a small accident, will cause the truck to burst into flames.

All i am asking is

WHY?

A source of fuel
Oxygen
Heat

You spray an oil, any oil, derv, hydraulic, engine, around a heated surface, like an exhaust, it will catch fire.

They were around 44 years ago. Trucks did not catch fire as easily then as they do now

Cheap components, corner cutting ?

It won’t be the first time i’ve had to slosh a bit of spare fuel i had in a can into a tin lid and chuck a match in to find out if it was petrol or Diesel in the can, not only do they smell similar these days but there was a time it was almost impossible to light Diesel unless it was heated, that’s no longer the case, it doesn’t vapourise like petrol does and ignite instantly but neither is it like it used to be that you could extinguish lighted matches in it all day long.
I wonder if thats had influence.

Modern vehicle’s stuffed with electronics too…remember when you connected a battery years ago you wouldn’t have a clue if the battery was charged or not, now you touch the connection and its like arc welding and yet there’s nothing actually switched on.

I’ve noticed that when I go up to disconnect the susies on my Euro 6 Merc after its been on a long run, the heat coming from the engine area and exhaust is phenomenal. Not sure if this extreme heat could contribute to a fire in the event of an accident.

Beat me to it damoq…nowdays with EGR & SCR the temperature is extremely high so much so you generally will have a warning stamped in to the catalk if factory fitted,well on DAF anyway :smiley: :smiley: …Also I dare say with the amount of electrics now on a vehicle,and the main cables for the cab electrics generally going up the front of the cab ,there is a greater chance of a short in an accident

norb:
Beat me to it damoq…nowdays with EGR & SCR the temperature is extremely high so much so you generally will have a warning stamped in to the catalk if factory fitted,well on DAF anyway :smiley: :smiley: …Also I dare say with the amount of electrics now on a vehicle,and the main cables for the cab electrics generally going up the front of the cab ,there is a greater chance of a short in an accident

How will they get round having a Euro 6 truck with pet regs? Does the engine not need to be covered for these? I’d imagine that enclosing the engine can’t be done for Euro 6.

I am probably being thick here, but what are “pet regs”?

fuel tankers

SWEDISH BLUE:

Petroleum Regulations. Basically a fuel tanker. They need a cowling on the back of the cab to cover the engine, but with the heat produced by Euro 6, I wouldn’t have thought this was possible.

SWEDISH BLUE:

Petrol regulations.

I parked up the other night not long after the engine had started a DPF regeneration and I swear that for about an hour after switching the engine off I could’ve fried eggs on the exhaust! Phenomenal amount of heat coming off it.

damoq:

norb:

How will they get round having a Euro 6 truck with pet regs? Does the engine not need to be covered for these? I’d imagine that enclosing the engine can’t be done for Euro 6.

Good question ,it’s not the engine as such as I see being the problem it is the exhaust system…They will probably add a huge heatshield …but they will manage it …Will be fun to see what happens if a petrol tanker ever needs a static regeneration,as it won,t ever happen with a tanker on it ,as for a rigid time will tell …will need to ask these question on my next course

The Ladbroke grove rail crash in October 1999 probably brought it to wider attention just how dangerous diesel fuel can be in a collision. The fuel tank of the power car was ruptured in the collision spraying fuel almost in a cloud everywhere, this then ignited in a fireball with horrific results.

Very rare for derv to just ignite, must be a lot of compressed air about

norb:
t’s not the engine as such as I see being the problem it is the exhaust system…They will probably add a huge heatshield …but they will manage it …

+1, I think they already have, I’m sure I’ve seen some new E6 CFs being run by Watson…

norb:

how much will all the plastic ducting and other gubbins to do with emisions and filters and streamlining be a factor what used to be made of tin is now made of plastic which is a lot more flammable plus all the plastic bumpers etc which in the event of a collision fractures and shatters again a flammable source

SWEDISH BLUE:
Having just seen the latest pics from the A1 crash, Thanks Contraflow, Can somebody explain why trucks catch fire so easily these days?

I have been driving trucks, 7.5T up to 44T, for the last 44 years. :open_mouth: :unamused: :open_mouth:
We used to light fires under the fuel tank so that the derv would flow! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Now, it seems that a sometimes small accident, I am not saying that this is a small accident, will cause the truck to burst into flames.

All i am asking is

WHY?

May have had a few gas canisters rupture on impact, or even a calor gas bottle.

Given the extreme heat that is now generated from Euro 5/6 engines and high powered fuel injected diesel pumps, I think this contributes to the new phenomena of diesel igniting in a similar way to petrol. Just a guess :confused:

Regards
Dave Penn;