Truck driving usa

Hi does any one have any info on driving trucks in usa ie age limits documents etc any info more than appreciated

cheers

Unless you are married to an American citizen or have a green card to work there, it is a non starter to drive the big rigs there.
The best route is working for a Canadian firm as they drive to and from America.

Go to the ex-pats forum for advice but be careful of immigration agencies.
Google H&R Transport Canada or Vrv Global.
Can you handle ice and snow on mountain passes.
Long hours.Long drives with a higher speed limit.
I used to live in Lansing Michigan then to Fort Lauderdale Florida.

You won’t even get a look in at H&R atm. Finding a company in Canada with an LMIA is pretty hard atm

Even if you can find a company with an LMIA, I’d be highly concerned that you wouldn’t get it renewed again in 12 months as they tighten up even further and if you’re in a province that requires 12 months continuous in one job before you can apply for PNP/PR you’d be well and truly shafted and on the plane home.

Every time I see these posts I worry about guys who think driving trucks here is some great thing, it isn’t, unless you are looking for a single life or have a very understanding family that don’t mind not seeing you for weeks at a time this is no great adventure. I know the guys who went to Canada seem to have things better but down here in the good old US of A things are tough, very poor pay and conditions, you can be laid off or fired at a minutes notice without explanation, you will be paid a pittance per mile and nothing when the truck is not moving (which is most of the time), no real health care, virtually no holiday pay, no sick pay and no rights.
You can’t just come here and get a driving job, truck driving here is classed as ordinary labour and not under any circumstances a skill, not anything that can get you transferred across the ocean on a visa provided by a company. All the ads you see offering driving jobs here that are advertised in UK mags are scams, they will take your money to check on your immigration eligibility then tell you ‘Sorry but you do not qualify’ and keep the funds you paid them.
There was a post on Facebook yesterday about Norbert Dingle Dangle buying out an Iowa company and some guys talking about getting transferred with them, sorry to disappoint you guys but it will never happen, no trucking company can sponser a driver to come over here, they can sponser management however but only temporary. I hate to see you guys build up your hopes and dreams over something that will not happen.
AGAIN … the only way to become a truck driver in the USA is to get a green card.

How do you get a green card

Trucker Rick:

uscis.gov/greencard

W.

Is it easy to swap uk for us licence or do you have to do the complete driving school thing I’ve read about. Seems lots of companies wanting fresh drivers. Just curious I like reading all the ex pat stuff.

LASHHGV:
Is it easy to swap uk for us licence or do you have to do the complete driving school thing I’ve read about. Seems lots of companies wanting fresh drivers. Just curious I like reading all the ex pat stuff.

Got to redo ya class 1 at a driving school along with air brake practical and theory tests

Trucker Rick:

you get online sweet talk some 25stone woman into marrying you then hey presto you have green card and a perfect excuse for being away weeks on end! :open_mouth:

I got the american wife with an American passport already :grimacing:
Unfortunately I don’t do nights out. Me and wife both have family out there.
I love to read the diarys and visiting Florida but I don’t think I’d get a 4 bed villa with a pool on a gates estate.

war1974:

Trucker Rick:

you get online sweet talk some 25stone woman into marrying you then hey presto you have green card and a perfect excuse for being away weeks on end! :open_mouth:

That would be a lucky man :wink: :wink:

I remember my first winter driving fuel tankers (manteis transport Calgary) in western Canada and NW united states many times the conditions were horrible I ve never been so cold in my life it wasn’t every day but quite a bit of the time for about 5 months a year. I m sure some of my british mates at westcan bulk transport could tell you the same