Truck driving and DVT's?

bigvern1:

dar1976:

Immigrant:
Pics looks as an infection to me

RTF title

I think he FWD but reckons it looks like an infection. :unamused:

I know 2 who lost a Leg.
In that both case were also a Bite of an Insect looking already that way after a few day as they had Diabetes and it healed not anymore properly.
Just ask around by People with Diabetes how wounds need much longer with much more Care to heal.

The DVT socks are more than a tenner,more like £40 plus at Boots.

Amazon is doing a pair of “flight socks” £5!
Ordered two pairs , Free P&P (3-5days)

Immigrant:

bigvern1:

dar1976:

Immigrant:
Pics looks as an infection to me

RTF title

I think he FWD but reckons it looks like an infection. :unamused:

I know 2 who lost a Leg.
In that both case were also a Bite of an Insect looking already that way after a few day as they had Diabetes and it healed not anymore properly.
Just ask around by People with Diabetes how wounds need much longer with much more Care to heal.

what has that got to do with DVT?

A girl close to us had been at work all day, and came home and knelt on the floor with the dog, she fell asleep and when she was found later that evening she was in a coma, taken to hospital and had both her legs amputated. That was DVT caused by bad circulation while she was on the floor.

DVT is quite severe, an Aneurysm will kill you.

How is it brought on Wheel Nut

Fallmonk:
Had to go to the hosp sunday night after having really sore legs all weekend Drs recon i have DVT’s(Deep vein thrombosis) probably cause was my 15hr shift from Glasgow-Mac Duff and back in one day (10hr drive) been off since as foot still agony.Got to take jags and get a scan tomorow.
Has anyone else suffered this ? I know its a lot to do with my weight (on the larger side) gave me and the mrs a bit of a fright ,just was wondering if its common■■?

I’ve had 2, :open_mouth: 1st one was from an accident at work which resulted in it turning into a PE which went to my lung and i nearly died from it.
Spent some time in hospital for that one!! On wafarin for a while with a fortnightly visit to the INR clinic to moniter your blood thickness.
You will have to do the INR thingy.
If you have one,your more than prone to getting another which is what happened to me now on wafarin for life and being away from home does take a strain on getting your blood tested by the INR clinic in fact its a major ball ache.

Best of luck to you fella,its treatable so i wouldnt worry to much about it. :wink:

mickyblue:
How is it brought on Wheel Nut

By a lack of circulation, mine started almost immediately after having a hip operation which failed, although it didn’t help that I needed a stent in my kidney so bloodflow was restricted.

I wouldn’t wish it on you, it is so bloody painful, even in bed.

I was told on a long run to raise the bottom up and down while driving,just for a few seconds to get the blood flowing,when driving you just try to stand up to take the weight off for a bit.

I had a DVT a few years ago. Put me in hospital for a week. Fortunatley I only had to take warfarin for 6 months but now have to wear support stockings. If you need support stockings then go to your doctor and ask for a perscription for made to measure ones. They cost around £26 per pair so it makes sense to buy a pre-paid perscription card from NHS direct. Ideally your should get new ones every 6 months. My doctor advised me that when on a long drive to stop and have a walk around every couple of hours.

4.30 hours driving in one go is too long,but it is legal.

Or live in wales and get your prescriptions for eff all… :wink: :smiley:

I think it is mostly fat people who suffer from all this.
Generally fat people are less healthy, so more prone. It may affect the odd skinny bod, but more often than not, it is the fat people.
Just need to exercise more and eat less, it aint exactly rocket science is it?
Take some responsibility for your own well being and get thin again FFS :unamused:

att:
Generally fat people are less healthy, so more prone. It may affect the odd skinny bod, but more often than not, it is the fat people.
Take some responsibility for your own well being and get thin again FFS :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pmsl

att:

I have seen more fat on a chip, not all the people in the ultrasound clinic were fat, some were like Amy Winehouse :stuck_out_tongue:

This lad is 18 and suffers from it.

Wheel Nut:

att:

I have seen more fat on a chip, not all the people in the ultrasound clinic were fat, some were like Amy Winehouse :stuck_out_tongue:

This lad is 18 and suffers from it.

Well he needs to ‘man up’ then.

att:

From Wikipedia:

According to Virchow’s triad, described initially in 1856 by the German pathologist Rudolph Virchow, venous thrombosis occurs due to three factors: decreased flow rate of the blood (venous stasis), damage or activation of the blood vessel wall, and an increased tendency of the blood to clot (hypercoagulability). DVT formation typically begins in the calves, inside vein valves, where the blood is relatively oxygen deprived. Several medical conditions increase the risk for DVT, such as cancer, trauma, and antiphospholipid syndrome. Other risk factors include older age (the strongest), surgery, immobilization (as with bed-rest, orthopedic casts, or during long-haul flights), oral contraceptives and inborn tendencies to form clots known as thrombophilia (for example, in carriers of factor V Leiden). Women have an increased risk during pregnancy (due to altered blood protein levels) and in the postnatal period, partially due to substances released by the placenta. However, some of those who develop DVT have no recognized risk factors.

There we go a cure for your ignorance on this subject matter. Just need to read more and think before typing, it aint exactly rocket science is it? :unamused: :unamused:

Thetaff:
I’ve had 2, :open_mouth: 1st one was from an accident at work which resulted in it turning into a PE which went to my lung and i nearly died from it.
Spent some time in hospital for that one!! On wafarin for a while with a fortnightly visit to the INR clinic to moniter your blood thickness.
You will have to do the INR thingy.
If you have one,your more than prone to getting another which is what happened to me now on wafarin for life and being away from home does take a strain on getting your blood tested by the INR clinic in fact its a major ball ache.

Best of luck to you fella,its treatable so i wouldnt worry to much about it. :wink:

I’ve got a PE, have had it for a year, made an appearance after my bypass op. INR is a ballache, mine has been up and down since I started on Warfarin (did you stick to the diet advice re Warfarin? ie, not too much greens etc) think its only in the last month it seems to have settled down. I’ve got an appointment in August for consultant to to Ultrasound and see if it still there, when I started the Warfarin I was told it was for a 6 month period, so hoping the PE has done one by the time I have the Ultrasound.
Did your PE cause any other problems in the long term? At the last check up I had, they decided it was causing Pulmonary Hypertension, so on Ramipril for that as well.
Since I’ve had my PE I’ve been out of work, how did you get on with fitting the INR appointments around work? The way I see it with driving, you obviously cant guarantee you’re going to be back in time from wherever you’ve been that day, and the INR test is fairly important, and from my experience, if the INR result has fluctuated quite a bit, it leads to regular, sometimes weekly tests, and when its really played up, daily tests!

john_london:

att:

From Wikipedia:

According to Virchow’s triad, described initially in 1856 by the German pathologist Rudolph Virchow, venous thrombosis occurs due to three factors: decreased flow rate of the blood (venous stasis), damage or activation of the blood vessel wall, and an increased tendency of the blood to clot (hypercoagulability). DVT formation typically begins in the calves, inside vein valves, where the blood is relatively oxygen deprived. Several medical conditions increase the risk for DVT, such as cancer, trauma, and antiphospholipid syndrome. Other risk factors include older age (the strongest), surgery, immobilization (as with bed-rest, orthopedic casts, or during long-haul flights), oral contraceptives and inborn tendencies to form clots known as thrombophilia (for example, in carriers of factor V Leiden). Women have an increased risk during pregnancy (due to altered blood protein levels) and in the postnatal period, partially due to substances released by the placenta. However, some of those who develop DVT have no recognized risk factors.

There we go a cure for your ignorance on this subject matter. Just need to read more and think before typing, it aint exactly rocket science is it? :unamused: :unamused:

I love Wikipedia, only they can quote from a book written in 1856 and in the same paragraph mention oral contraceptives & long haul flights :laughing:

I dont know much about DVT , but if it’s to do with circulation issues - it could affect either fat or thin people or a lot of people in a sedatory kind of job for long hours.

:bulb: prevention being better than cure, has anyone tried a foot massager/vibration board (not a wet foot spar thingy) but a dry board of various speed & pulseation settings, you could use this for twenty minutes for instance while watching tv, or short break time haveing a cuppa, so it dosen’t intrude too much with your daily life, it’s a no fuss, plug in & away to go option (no water involved)just kick yer boots off, & put both feet on the board!! :smiley:

This would help with circulation , but dose say your to see your doctor if you have already got health issuse, example heart probs, diabetes or other issues. It is also not that expensive, aprox £30 to 70 ish as a guide or maybe cheaper off ebae :smiley: