Truck drivers guide to Cafes and Truckstops

Was given this by my dad when I was a young lad
Tho I’ll dig it out

The front

Inside

Would love to know if any of the cafesare still open.
and do they still do this guide?
Did anyone else use one?

Brought back some memories there, I have still got a Crane Freuhof truckstop guide from 1974, red plastic cover just can’t remember where it is at present (old age). It was at the time when Little Chef were having a concerted efort to buy up as many existing transpot cafes as possible and in the guide there are some recent Little Chief takeovers that say transport drivers welcome but I don’t think the welcome was extended for very long. The prices are a bit of an eyeopener by todays standards, tea 4p and breakfast from 28p, no wonder my waist expnded!

Airport cafe parking £5 :slight_smile: and the drawings what made it good I think this one is 1998, use to look thru it all the time when I was young trying to remember where cafes and Truckstops are

URTU had one that was distributed to it’s members FREE!
Beat that for a bargain. :smiley:

I drove tipper’s, what’s a cafe? :laughing:

Pete.

you weren’t doing it right pete , we always found time for brews and brekkies on tipper work , especially making time up in an afternoon . there were 5 cafes between buxton and hazel grove , and they were always busy , cheers , dave

rigsby:
you weren’t doing it right pete , we always found time for brews and brekkies on tipper work , especially making time up in an afternoon . there were 5 cafes between buxton and hazel grove , and they were always busy , cheers , dave

I wish Dave, when were paid on hours the tacho charts were checked for any unneccessary breaks, and when I was on earnings I got the job done and got off home pronto!! :wink: A few salaried drivers used to use them though but I always took sarnies and a flask.

Pete.

You must of been on dry stuff with your tipper Dave.There was no way we could stop with blackstuff on this way,about three would get in front of you at the machine,and some of those drove for the same firm.We did get in a cafe in the afternoon sometimes if there was nothing else on.
Cheers Dave.

Legend_Scania:
Was given this by my dad when I was a young lad
Tho I’ll dig it out

The front

Inside

Would love to know if any of the cafesare still open.

and do they still do this guide?
Did anyone else use one?

hi,
the airport cafe on the a20 near folkestone racecourse ( bottom right in the book) is still open,i called in last summer.a cracking place :sunglasses: .
regards andrew.

Probably wrong(again) but i think Chris"s cafe at High Wycombe is still going.

CHRIS’S CAFE still going strong last week! Now Chris’s Diner a fifties type place but still catering for drivers.

beanie:
CHRIS’S CAFE still going strong last week! Now Chris’s Diner a fifties type place but still catering for drivers.

Back in my day there must have been a cafe every five miles between High Wycombe & Gloucester.

Retired now for a while, but I remember the Guide to Cafes, though I never bought one. Have used all 3 in the picture with a few nights at Thurrock and Chris’s with the Airport too close to home for more than a bite to eat and a cuppa.
Thurrock I wasn’t keen on. A bit C–p I thought, so I’ll leave it there.
Chris’s had good grub at good prices and was a quiet night in the cab with a book listening to the radio.
The Airport is now VERY well used by families, car & scooter clubs VW’s etc.especially at weekends. Bloody good breakfast on a Sunday at a reasonable cost and no washing up. Just like the Old Days Transport Cafe but cleaner. Worth the diversion off the M20 on to the A20 if you’re on your way across the channel, and NO, I AM NOT anything to do with the cafe, just a satisfied customer.