Truck bans in the UK

As you know,in Europe you have to park up on the eve of a publuc holuday or religous festival and can only drive again on the eve when the ban is over.Some can last a few days.So park up in a decent place with hot food and a shower.
Would truck bans work in the UK ?The driver gets a good rest,family time and so on.
Perishable goods and milk tankers allowed on ban days,the rest have to park up or go home.
One ban i only found out when it was too late.The gantry lights flashing warnings of a ban for about four days and borders shut to Lgv traffic.I parked at Bordeaux airport and flew home.As i owned the truck i informed my freight forwarder and he was not amused and surprised to hear me ringing in on a UK phone.It was cheaper to go home i thought.Even though i could have cooked in the cab.

Lol imagine the panic buying once people discovered that there were to be no deliveries for the four day period of Easter, would make us even more popular with the Daily Mail, " killer juggernaut drivers cause food shortage by wanting time with their families"

I was parked up over Easter at Aosta Italy.It turned out ok by going up the mountain on the cable car.Watching the world go by and the snow activities.

I remember when we didn’t really have 7 day deliveries. Bread was delivered on Saturday, and there was no more until Monday. We have become victims of the supermarkets.

We should have a weekend ban like they do in Europe, and we would have to adjust accordingly when doing our weekly shop, like we used to.

Ken.

With European bans,they have national bans and local bans.If you are lucky enough to be in the area,you could join in with the party.The bull running at Pamplona to the tomato throwing fiesta.

These bans should be banned. Stopping drivers from getting home must be against the human rights act. most things are.

A ban at weekends from midday sat to 22.00 Sunday in the uk may be a good thing so would closing shops on a Sunday

Limeyphil has a valid point there.A law says we have to stop driving but other traffic can continue their journey and be with their family.
A lot of drivers ran on bans with empty fridge trailers and never got stopped as they ran the motor in the fridge.
With reference to the young lady killed on the M25,did she expect there to be no lorries on the road at very early this morning but there was one of which a collision occured with fatal results.

senior50:
A ban at weekends from midday sat to 22.00 Sunday in the uk may be a good thing so would closing shops on a Sunday

Definitely agree with this. In a previous job I delivered a yacht from kiel in Germany. Arrived at 4pm Saturday with no stores open to stock up. So we all wandered to the bars in town. Didn’t need them to open on Sunday either. It’s actually quite nice to not be able to shop 24-7

The law says we can only drive for six shifts so the ban would stop certain countries that use UK roads from driving seven shifts with no breaks.

toby1234abc:
The law says we can only drive for six shifts

NO Toby, it doesn’t say that at all.

That is using the sixth tacho card but you can use a seventh card.?Good memories of weekends at Irun TIR park.Sun tanning on the beach on the border town.

Yes please! We want to be like the rest of Europe so let’s do it. The Spanish cope very well when Carrefour/Mercado is shut on a Sunday, we can too.

I wouldn’t want a weekend ban, if you have an 8am Dundee on a Monday and you cannot leave until 10pm on Sunday. The only alternative is that you are week ended in the ■■■■■■■■

Wheel Nut:
I wouldn’t want a weekend ban, if you have an 8am Dundee on a Monday and you cannot leave until 10pm on Sunday. The only alternative is that you are week ended in the [zb]

Exactly. A weekend ban may benefit some but I don’t think it benefits the average driver. In Germany for example, a place where many use as a shining example of truck free motorways on Sundays and even Saturdays these days the job lot of a driver isn’t as fine an dandy as it seems. Well, not unless you think trying to force yourself to sleep most of Sunday for your midnight start so you can drive 650km for an 8 or 9am delivery on the other side of the country is a good thing.
I wouldn’t welcome it. In the event all we’d see is drivers working nights the first half of the week or having to run out on a Friday or Saturday to be in situ for a Monday AM delivery. If British drivers wont agree to it, which many wont, there will be thousands of foreigners who will, so be careful what you wish for.

Wheel Nut:
I wouldn’t want a weekend ban, if you have an 8am Dundee on a Monday and you cannot leave until 10pm on Sunday. The only alternative is that you are week ended in the [zb]

You make a good point WN, but I think that if the haulage industry grew a pair and said to customer x in Dundee “actually because of the weekend ban your booking slot isn’t viable, we’ll have your load to you at 2pm” . After all, the customer ordered the stuff, they want it, so they’d have to accept legal limitations on transport operations. A bonus would maybe be a return to “normal” shift patterns for drivers instead of ridiculous starts at stupid o clock in the morning.

If you got to Bordeaux at 22.00 to park up for the ban from 22.00 Saturday to Sunday 22.00,some drivers would then do a 9 or 10 hour drive from 22.00.
I prefered to start at 3am or later so not to be working nights all week and trying to sleep in a hot cab in day time was not possible in the Summer.
I noticed some starting at 21.30 or earlier on Sunday night and wondered if stopped it would show on the tacho or would they have to catch you in the act and not fine you on tacho evidence.

I doubt we’d ever get a Sunday ban, despite regular comments from car drivers who’ve ventured into the rest of Europe and think its a great idea to be able to go shopping on a Sunday without nasty big trucks on the road. They really can’t put 2+2 together. :confused:

However if we did there’d be so many exemptions to appease the supermarket and retail goods distribution industry that you’d probably not notice the difference, but it would be yet another set of regulations, more paperwork and administration costs.

many years ago while weekended in Germany we got talking to a couple of German police men at Giselwind and they were all for letting the trucks move on a Sunday as it would slow the lunatics in their cars down some what ,but the ADAC were dead against it

toby1234abc:
If you got to Bordeaux at 22.00 to park up for the ban from 22.00 Saturday to Sunday 22.00,some drivers would then do a 9 or 10 hour drive from 22.00.
I prefered to start at 3am or later so not to be working nights all week and trying to sleep in a hot cab in day time was not possible in the Summer.
I noticed some starting at 21.30 or earlier on Sunday night and wondered if stopped it would show on the tacho or would they have to catch you in the act and not fine you on tacho evidence.

99.9% of British drivers would not be in Bordeaux, they would be starting at midnight and onwards from their yards all across the country to be at their destinations within the UK for opening time, this is the hard reality in every country where this happens.