Truck and Drag or Articulated unit

What is the best option for passing a truck and drag(used to a 18tonne) so it would just be a trailer on the back of that or is it better to change to a Articulated truck.

Ive 2 photos of the Tekno Models you can get online of O’Toole just for a reference to a Truck and drag and Artic.

If you have any preferance over one then the other please comment as Im at the booking lession stage and want to be makig the right move that makes me more employable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Are you foreign? Are you serious? Just stick an A frame trailer on the back! Easy till you try and back up. Needs a lot of practice. Artic on the other hand. Fairly straight forward after some practice.

But in the real world you would never use an A frame trailer to sit a test. A fixed axle trailer is even easier than an artic to back up but better off with the artic in my book.

Hope that helps. :wink:

The Wag & Drag in your pics is an “A” Frame trailer, I would not want to learn or take a test in that!!

Our local LGV training mob have a drawbar trailer which is much easier and has the advantage that they can use the same prime mover for both classes. They also have an Artic for anyone that needs Artic training.

The only advantage of getting an A frame wagon an drag down to a fine art when reversing means that you are a superior driver to the artic drivers who think they know it all … done that and still got the tee shirt … kneel down and pay homage you peasants :slight_smile:

jakethesnake:
Are you foreign? Are you serious? Just stick an A frame trailer on the back! Easy till you try and back up. Needs a lot of practice. Artic on the other hand. Fairly straight forward after some practice.

But in the real world you would never use an A frame trailer to sit a test. A fixed axle trailer is even easier than an artic to back up but better off with the artic in my book.

Which would you learn more, i dont want to get stucknin a rut and lobbed into the same pot as any other driver want to be more of an asset one day ill be able to drive an 18tonner the next day a combo.

Have been trying to weight up the two options. European drivers use the combos where irish and uk drivers use the artics.

Martin:
The Wag & Drag in your pics is an “A” Frame trailer, I would not want to learn or take a test in that!!

Our local LGV training mob have a drawbar trailer which is much easier and has the advantage that they can use the same prime mover for both classes. They also have an Artic for anyone that needs Artic training.

Same as the local truck school by me. The instructor used to get me to unhitch and hitch up the Actros I learnt in when I finished me lessions to get me the feel for a drawbar.

raymundo:
The only advantage of getting an A frame wagon an drag down to a fine art when reversing means that you are a superior driver to the artic drivers who think they know it all … done that and still got the tee shirt … kneel down and pay homage you peasants :slight_smile:

LOL, and now you drive a boat :unamused:

I should add that before my truck driving days I had been known to drive a boat with 10 or more trailers behind it (Known as “Tom Puddings” up north lol… Try reversing that lot!

Been told WD is easier but would personally do artic as there are a lot more of those in the UK and best learning how to drive the full length option.

About the only people I see doing WD are Wren Kitchens and Tuffnells although there are no doubt many others.

Maybe do WD as an extra afterwards. Always suspect the places training only WD are doing it for higher pass rates rather than in the future interests of the candidate.

brianchalkyshaw:

jakethesnake:

Which would you learn more, i dont want to get stucknin a rut and lobbed into the same pot as any other driver want to be more of an asset one day ill be able to drive an 18tonner the next day a combo.

Have been trying to weight up the two options. European drivers use the combos where irish and uk drivers use the artics.

I’ve seen more O’Toole artics around the ferry ports than I have w&d outfits. Lot of discussion on whether it’s easier/better to do training and test on different type of vehicle in Newbie forum.
A small w&d may be a quicker/cheaper easier way to get your ticket, followed by a day getting familiar with an artic?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Driven both,just do Artic gives you your licence then if you want you can go onto a drawbar.

bobbya:
Driven both,just do Artic gives you your licence then if you want you can go onto a drawbar.

Grand job that answers it so. [emoji106][emoji106]

Just a quick follow up the school Im doung me Cat C+E has a drawbar and it works out cheaper per hour (have to rent it for 2hrs at a go) then an Artic. [emoji2369][emoji23][emoji23]

Franglais:

brianchalkyshaw:

jakethesnake:

I’ve seen more O’Toole artics around the ferry ports than I have w&d outfits. Lot of discussion on whether it’s easier/better to do training and test on different type of vehicle in Newbie forum.
A small w&d may be a quicker/cheaper easier way to get your ticket, followed by a day getting familiar with an artic?

They don’t have that set up any more I know the guy who used to drive it and when he was off it didn’t move just to say that when he left there were a lot of K’s on the clock and not much wear in the mattress :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

brianchalkyshaw:

jakethesnake:

They don’t have that set up any more I know the guy who used to drive it and when he was off it didn’t move just to say that when he left there were a lot of K’s on the clock and not much wear in the mattress :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ah. The famous “microwave” bunk! Does a break in half the time. [emoji5]

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

brianchalkyshaw:

jakethesnake:

Ah. The famous “microwave” bunk! Does a break in half the time. [emoji5]

I reckon if Vosa pull me in and say whats your hours i can argue half the truck was left at the yard so drive time dont apply to me [emoji2369][emoji23][emoji23] or even try confuse him if 2 halfs make a full and theres 7 days in a week how many oranges can you juggle and just let him try work out if im gone mad [emoji23][emoji23]

Would love this kind of wagon [emoji1783]

Ok up here where we have the space but a pain in congested areas.Remember that at 25mtrs its also a lot more to load\unload.

hutpik:
Ok up here where we have the space but a pain in congested areas.Remember that at 25mtrs its also a lot more to load\unload.

How many pallets or cages would it take over a artic.

Beautiful trucks and well looked after. Takes a lot more skill to reverse than an artic. Drove them for about five years and when you go back to an artic it’s a doddle.
Mostly used in Europe which is kinda strange as some on here think any driver not from this country is of a poorer standard! Not the case, how often do you see trucks in the UK that have been looked after so well? :wink:

jakethesnake:
Beautiful trucks and well looked after. Takes a lot more skill to reverse than an artic. Drove them for about five years and when you go back to an artic it’s a doddle.
Mostly used in Europe which is kinda strange as some on here think any driver not from this country is of a poorer standard! Not the case, how often do you see trucks in the UK that have been looked after so well? :wink:

Very true same over this side some drivers look down to East Euros saying “did you get a lorry licence in the army” its still a E.U drivers licence, so the standard is the same across the board. I will agree that the European lorrys are always kept to a super stamdard. The Holland style/Dutch styled interior is very nice, wouldnt wearshoes tho id say its a nightmare if it gets dirty.