Trop a Trailer

Sah 2day the First Time that someone first opens the Fifth Wheel after putting Trailer on a Bay,before winding Legs down. :grimacing:

Someone pulled the pin before winding down the legs?

Pretty common and perfectly safe if on a bay. If the brakes are on plus itā€™s wedged up against the bay it aint going anywhere.

Drivers will pull the pin then pull airlines then finally wind the legs.

stagedriver:

Pretty common and perfectly safe if on a bay. If the brakes are on plus itā€™s wedged up against the bay it aint going anywhere.

I have never done it :confused: There is no benefit or time saving by pulling pin before legs down , it just gives the impression to anyone watching that the person is a novice :wink: IMHO :exclamation:

Suffolk ReeferBoy:

stagedriver:

I have never done it :confused: There is no benefit or time saving by pulling pin before legs down , it just gives the impression to anyone watching that the person is a novice :wink: IMHO :exclamation:

oops :blush:

Suffolk ReeferBoy:

stagedriver:

I have never done this either. IMHO It makes you look like a novice! :unamused:

Always best to have a routine that works wherever you are.

When dropping a trailer I jump out the cab go round and lower legs down.

When hooking upto a trailer I jump out the cab and put dog clip in.

Thatā€™s my first movements and never deviate from that .

yup BLACK works for me

Brakes
Legs
Air (suzies)
clip
Kingpin

not fogetting the numberplate :unamused:

stagedriver:

Ive always pulled the pin last, saw one of our drivers one day in one our customers yards the has a slope. drop the legs, pull the pin but not put the handbrake on, on a slope, the look on his face as he took the yellow line off was priceless, as the trailer rolled off down the hill with him trying to hold it back on the red airline :wink: luckily for him there was a set of steel barriers halfway down the yard to stop trailers going any further

Pull the pin before winding down the legs on your test, and thats an immeadiate fail. I suggest that it is probably not something a ā€œnoviceā€ would do because any good instructor would have drummed into them the order of coupling and uncoupling. More likely someone who has got into bad habits through driving too long!

Seen a lad jump out the lorry pull the pin and then walk around the back to get his number plate :open_mouth: very dangerous!

chicane:
yup BLACK works for me

Brakes
Legs
Air (suzies)
clip
Kingpin

not fogetting the numberplate :unamused:

Hiyaā€¦iā€™ve been blackā€¦ing for thirty five years and didā€™nt knowā€¦ and it always workedā€¦
John

I tend to pull the fifth wheel if the trailer is fully loaded because 9 times out of 10 it will be jammed if I pull the lines then I have to get in the cab and let the handbrake off or reverse a tad, which is a ā– ā– ā– ā–  on.

Just sounds like this is a bad habit this fella has picked up, you want a routine that has the least chance of any accidents if you pull the pin before the legs. One day its gonnae happen and that trailer is going drop or youā€™re going to burst lines.

i always pull the pin before legs, after ive pulled the airlines though, the reason i do this is that sometimes when you drop a loaded trailer and wind the legs down as much as you can, the pin wont pull because theres upward pressure on the jaws. obviously this wouldnt apply in the case of dropping an empty one, but like others here ive got my routine and i stick to it. none of our trailers have shunt buttons or any of that crap, when the airlines are off the trailers are not going to move, end of story, and im not stupid enough to not pull on the unit handbrake before getting out of the truck, so the unit rolling away after i pull the pin isnt going to be an issue.