Trip to portugal after 10 years

so a load of hanging lambs down to portugal and of we go
a few eye openers on the way a lot of new roads and the amout of eastern european
trucks is unbelievable on the n10 down to bordeuax every single truck stop is rammed with up to 200+truks prked up at some,mega roadworks in the trees from bordeuax down to irun and was causing hugetraffic delays on saturday you still get good value in the spanish restaurants 9/10 euro for a 3 course meal with a beer or wine or water which was my option by the way.then on to the dreaded ip5 wow its motorway all the way to the a1 yes its still up and down but no where near as bad as it once was.i went past loads of overhead sensors with signs saying how much it costs to use but no where to pay so i couldnt work that out.you dont see many english lads once past rouen think i seen about 10 the whole trip all in all i enjoyed and think im of again nxt week.

Sounds like a lovely run I’m jealous, now next time do a diary in more detail and take lots of pictures and post them on here I think that’ll go down well.

You have to buy a box for the tolls if you are in a non-portugese vehicle or pay for 3 days upfront i think. It was the same around Faro this year, just all the people are using the Nationals that runs parallel which are not fit for it as they stopped repairing them when they built the motorways…

You pay for it in advance… You can either do this online or do it in a garage but only certain garages or you can do it online…

hi glad you enjoyd i have done that run many of times that first one in porto where you back in on blind side if you go in at top gate and you got a full load go very stedy as one of ours had it nearly over as it cambers down to our offside if you not sure you can go past drop and there is a road on your right you can back down so you comeing in from other end . did you find it ok another one of ours went into the village instead of going round he had to back out all the way .some off them lamb drops in portugal are only for the experianced nice picts as well .

didler:
hi glad you enjoyd i have done that run many of times that first one in porto where you back in on blind side if you go in at top gate and you got a full load go very stedy as one of ours had it nearly over as it cambers down to our offside if you not sure you can go past drop and there is a road on your right you can back down so you comeing in from other end . did you find it ok another one of ours went into the village instead of going round he had to back out all the way .some off them lamb drops in portugal are only for the experianced nice picts as well .

i was lucky i had a drop at porto and the driver there gave me the gps i would have gone thru the village but the local police had closed the road for a festival,your right about the turn in i thought it was going over you get very close to the edge there

yea you got to be carefull you sound like a well experianced driver just watch out for the one cant remember where it is but you have to go up a realy steep cobbled road to your left if its wet dont try it as they go like ice when they wet one of our irish subys tryd it he didnt get any ware near the top he had to back down and they came out with there vans chucked em into the back and ferried them up there like that .there is some realy tricky drops but most are doable and realy nice people.is the agent still nunu he is a realy nice guy he was in partnership with a lady very tasty she is .any way have fun if you going next week

not sure on the agents name typical thou he wasnt to happy first drop was due at 7.30 sunday morning i got there about 12 i only left thursday afternoon

yep sounds about right they all like that they want then about two days after being slaughterd and some of the timed bookins just arnt possable ,if you gona be doing a lot of portugal ask the agent for a map of the drops there was one kicking about and it gives you writen instructions how to get to each drop ,i think its one nunu did himself but i found it ok takes a bit to grasp it as its a portugease trying to explain something in english ,but it dus work its worth keeping on the right side of nunu as if you realy stuck he will come out on his big motorbike and show you where to go .he loves that bike he bought it from england and one of our drivers took it out for him in the trailor with a load of lambs then he got it from one of the drops .best route with that job is portsmouth santander dont know the costings but we used it regular as you get some time off and it gives you a bit of a chance depending where you going ,only thing is if your last of the boat in santander it can take them a good hour to unload you and thats an hour lost .

its got to be the same agent he was on a motorbike and came out to one of the drops and took me to the last one when i mentioned if they aint of sunday they wont be tipped till tuesday due to a 24hr he was there to meet me lol i was going to go on that boat but as i hadnt done it for a while thought i could make it. cost of boat £800ish so not cheap.
if you got away early enough you could do portsmouth caen castets first night villa formoso second or near there then drop int porto on the third shift would that be possible you think.

yea if you get a good run only trouble is the road works on the forest road was 18 months since i was down there sounds like they still on going pain in the arse they are .depends where you loading out of for me was either anglysea or preston both are a pain in the arse preston aint to bad cause you can drop trailor and they will load it anglysea you gota waite with it .yea 800 quid is a lot i take it your owner driver the only other way is double man it see you had wife with ya put her through test lol.na its hard to get them there on time to be onest i didnt bother that much did me bit as best i cud but if ya late ya late nowt ya can do about it .yea sounds like nunu hes ok better than most if you get that french get pasquel hes a ■■■■ dont give a toss about the drivers long as he gets his lambs there.thing was with either abatwars it was allways late evening when we got away so ya on the wrong end of the day to start with,and if your a one man band you cant do a trailor change with any body .are you going out this week think it used to be back end of week when we loaded .back load was pigs out of spain see you did fruit thats better .

Nice one, make sure you do a few more diaries :smiley:

Nice…I’ve always been curious about Portugal as a country having never been there before…

Did you try a “tango”,it is a beer with red fruit syrup that they add,very nice too,and no Bacalou,that is their cod dishes,about a 1000 recipes for that.
A Franchesina,a half foot high mega sandwhich with everything left over,topped with hot spicy gravy or piquante,the cabbage soup is nice,some times with meat in it.
Custard tarts,that used or still are made by Nuns,and various pastry nick nacks.Boa viage and a la proxima,boa fin de semana.

didler:
yea if you get a good run only trouble is the road works on the forest road was 18 months since i was down there sounds like they still on going pain in the arse they are .depends where you loading out of for me was either anglysea or preston both are a pain in the arse preston aint to bad cause you can drop trailor and they will load it anglysea you gota waite with it .yea 800 quid is a lot i take it your owner driver the only other way is double man it see you had wife with ya put her through test lol.na its hard to get them there on time to be onest i didnt bother that much did me bit as best i cud but if ya late ya late nowt ya can do about it .yea sounds like nunu hes ok better than most if you get that french get pasquel hes a [zb] dont give a toss about the drivers long as he gets his lambs there.thing was with either abatwars it was allways late evening when we got away so ya on the wrong end of the day to start with,and if your a one man band you cant do a trailor change with any body .are you going out this week think it used to be back end of week when we loaded .back load was pigs out of spain see you did fruit thats better .

As Didier said watch the Forest road, 80kph from Bordeaux to Heyndaye and heavily policed. the Santander boat is expensive but worth it for getting a break in, just watch the state of your liver lol :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The restaurants that are off the side roads of the Forrest road,no longer let the trailer box eaters in for free,you have to have a meal,buy a coffee,have a shower if you want to park there,the one i went to has a barrier,and fills up with the logger drivers very early in the afternoon,the lady wears a high viz vest and monitor the parkers.

toby1234abc:
The restaurants that are off the side roads of the Forrest road,no longer let the trailer box eaters in for free.

typically french - demand that their guests have to have a meal to park but start serving at 7pm. I’m usually asleep by then.

milodon:

toby1234abc:
The restaurants that are off the side roads of the Forrest road,no longer let the trailer box eaters in for free.

typically french - demand that their guests have to have a meal to park but start serving at 7pm. I’m usually asleep by then.

I’d suggest that if you are not eating a meal you are not a guest, you’re a freeloader.
Try working more sociable hours :smiley:

gladly, I prefer to leave the socializing to the people who like to whine about the 80kph limits and overtaking bans.

milodon:
gladly, I prefer to leave the socializing to the people who like to whine about the 80kph limits and overtaking bans.

I know what you mean, however, rather unfortunately I only speak very poor English. So the poor hard-done-by unfortunates give up whining at me very quickly :open_mouth: :smiley: