Trip to Poland

Trip to Poland

This September I will drive to Poland with my girlfriend by car.

I will catch the ferry (Norfolkline) from Dover to Dunkerque - Wednesday early morning ,

Our destination is Brodnica (Kujawsko Pomorokie) near Torun, there will be about 18 hours driving journey from Uxbridge (West London Nr Heathrow) so I will stop somewhere for overnight at Germany maybe stop between Bad Oeynhausen and Magdeburg? Anyone know there are any good cheap hotel along on A2, could be Rasthof or Autohof or MSA something like that? I will drive for 9hours per day plus stop for rest- additional time,

I am plan to drive from Uxbridge - Dover - Dunkerque - Gent - Antwerpen - Venlo - Dortmund - Hannover - Berlin - Pozan - Torun - Brodnica
Is that route ok? or
shall i drive from Anterwpen to Hannover via Tilburg - Arnhem - Enschede - Osnabruck?

Also how many hours driving from Warsaw to Frankfurt Oder Borders? 6hrs? also heard some tolls on this route E30■■ is that right

Anyone can help the info or anything else

Many thanks
Ben. :slight_smile:

Just off the A2 at Magdeburg is a truck stop with a hotel. I have no idea what the hotel is like. I also cannot remember which junction it is off but it is to the left of the Autobahn as you head toward Berlin and is well signposted. I will be passing it on Wednesday so will check the junction and post back here later. If I have time I will pull in and see if I can get you any details regarding prices.

try looking through this LINK TRY STOPPING say

HERE
THESE 2 places shown are recommend by the autohöf Ursleben

Betz:
I am plan to drive from Uxbridge - Dover - Dunkerque - Gent - Antwerpen - Venlo - Dortmund - Hannover - Berlin - Pozan - Torun - Brodnica
Is that route ok? or
shall i drive from Anterwpen to Hannover via Tilburg - Arnhem - Enschede - Osnabruck?

I once tried the alternative one and it’s not worth it. Go via Venlo.

Also how many hours driving from Warsaw to Frankfurt Oder Borders? 6hrs?

You never know - this is Poland. I was reading recently a thread in one Polish forum and the times varied from 4,5 hrs to 11 :slight_smile:

also heard some tolls on this route E30■■ is that right

Yes, be prepared to pay 33 zÅ‚ (IFRC). This is about 6+ pounds. You stop on the barriers on the motorway and pay there. Better have some Polish money, as they weren’t accepting cards when I was there last time (and it was about last Christmas).

What else: I can reccomend you a decent truck stop to stop and eat something good: on DK 2 (between German border and 2 motorway) there is a village called Mostki. On the right, in the village itself you will see a truck stop called Las Vegas for some reason - it will be huge for you used to British standards, but very small compared to other truck stop in this area. There is a restaurant, open 24 hrs, very wide choice of food (mostly Polish kitchen), good, lot and cheap.

Also if you are interested in sitght seeing on the way, it’s worth to take a wee detour and visit beautiful town of Łagów in this area.

Thanks Coffeholic & Britpete - good links :wink:

orys:

Betz:
Is that route ok? or

I once tried the alternative one and it’s not worth it. Go via Venlo. Ok I will stick with Venlo route

Also how many hours driving from Warsaw to Frankfurt Oder Borders? 6hrs?

You never know - this is Poland. I was reading recently a thread in one Polish forum and the times varied from 4,5 hrs to 11 :slight_smile: Ah! unpredict - nieprzewidywalne :unamused: :smiley:

also heard some tolls on this route E30■■ is that right

Yes, be prepared to pay 33 zÅ‚ (IFRC). This is about 6+ pounds. You stop on the barriers on the motorway and pay there. Better have some Polish money, as they weren’t accepting cards when I was there last time (and it was about last Christmas). Ok no problem

What else: I can reccomend you a decent truck stop to stop and eat something good: on DK 2 (between German border and 2 motorway) there is a village called Mostki. On the right, in the village itself you will see a truck stop called Las Vegas for some reason - it will be huge for you used to British standards, but very small compared to other truck stop in this area. There is a restaurant, open 24 hrs, very wide choice of food (mostly Polish kitchen), good, lot and cheap. Yes I did remember that you did mention about huge truckstop recent, My girlfriend told me she had been visit there in years ago but there seem has a big change improvement - port2000.pl/dzial/home/239/

Also if you are interested in sitght seeing on the way, it’s worth to take a wee detour and visit beautiful town of Łagów in this area.

I will try thanks Orys :wink:

if when you get to the border crossing at venlo its getting late and you need to find a hotel come off at the first exit in germany “straelens” head towards the town and there’s a little hotel on the left what would be called a B&B in the UK

welshboyinspain:
if when you get to the border crossing at venlo its getting late and you need to find a hotel come off at the first exit in germany “straelens” head towards the town and there’s a little hotel on the left what would be called a B&B in the UK

thanks mate, i will put in my notebook - just in case, let hope not french fisherman strike on this day :sunglasses: !

Coffeeholic:
Just off the A2 at Magdeburg is a truck stop with a hotel. I have no idea what the hotel is like. I also cannot remember which junction it is off but it is to the left of the Autobahn as you head toward Berlin and is well signposted. I will be passing it on Wednesday so will check the junction and post back here later. If I have time I will pull in and see if I can get you any details regarding prices.

Am assuming you mean the LOMO autohof at Magdeburg, if so it would be the one with the swimming pool and crazy golf course.
If the rooms are half as good as the food and half as clean as everywhere else in the building it will be a good choice.

I would have thought it would be around 40euro a room.

Ben9:

Coffeeholic:

Am assuming you mean the LOMO autohof at Magdeburg, if so it would be the one with the swimming pool and crazy golf course.
If the rooms are half as good as the food and half as clean as everywhere else in the building it will be a good choice.

I would have thought it would be around 40euro a room.

That’s the one, I just can’t remember which junction it is.

Coffeeholic is this the one you meanHERE NEED TO CHECK the contact address as
I believe LOMO is Bankrupt but the TRUCKSTOP is still running

Betz:
Yes I did remember that you did mention about huge truckstop recent, My girlfriend told me she had been visit there in years ago but there seem has a big change improvement - port2000.pl/dzial/home/239/

The one I was thinking about is this one: lasvegascenter.pl/, I think it’s about 1 km after port 2000, in the centre of the village, on the right.

There is also a hotel, as I can see, so you can stop there.

When I drive from Scotland, I am usually tired somewhere about half way between Madgeburg and Berlin, so you can reach that place if you come from London…

When planning your route consider that driving in Poland (apart from the motorways, which are quite normal except that in most cases they have two lanes only) is much more streesing and you need to be concentrated all the time, so every mile in Poland count twice or triple for your tiredeness… And I know it’s sounds weird, but it’s true.

So consider to take your stop rather closer to Poland than in Venlo…

brit pete:
Coffeeholic is this the one you meanHERE

Yes, that’s the one Pete.

Forgive my memory but im going back over 10yrs.There was a autohoff i used regular when i did poland once a month,it was just off the a2 think it was an arol called zeice[or something like that].Cant remember if there was any accomodation but the grub was good and reasonable price and the showers excellent.
regards dave.

I came back from Warsaw Yesterday…New A2 from Lodz to Poznan…Lovely road, plenty of Fuel stations, Mcdonalds too! There are 3 toll booths, they take Euro-shell and credit cards. Cost 12.00 whatevers in a little Sprinter, didn’t know how much for bigger stuff sorry! Crossed from Berlin, enjoy! :sunglasses:

bigvern1:
I came back from Warsaw Yesterday…New A2 from Lodz to Poznan…Lovely road, plenty of Fuel stations, Mcdonalds too! There are 3 toll booths, they take Euro-shell and credit cards. Cost 12.00 whatevers in a little Sprinter, didn’t know how much for bigger stuff sorry! Crossed from Berlin, enjoy! :sunglasses:

bigvern is right, 3 tool booths to pass through on the A2, I paid somewhere around a tenner in car. I have stopped at the MacDonalds, but really eat before or after the motorway, the food is fantastic and cheap at any of the transport restaurants. I word of caution… you will see a lot of cameras on the first part of Poland to the motorway, don’t think because you have a non Polish plate that you will get away with it. Most of the time these cameras are used as remotes and the police are waiting a few clicks down the road having watched you break the limit a few mins earlier. The first 100km to the motorway is fast and furious, do as the locals do and all will be well or at least exciting. Have a great trip Ben.

But it’s 12 zÅ‚oty at EACH gate, remember…

Remember to change your Euro at " Kantor. " Millions of them along the roadside, all displaying the rate, about 4 01 zloty per euro, and a coffee costs 5 of those! Mc donalds around 12.00 for a meal. Fit girls there too…(Not the ones from out of the woods though!) :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Update - Just to let you know,

I have done booked the hotel at Madgeburg Sud near Airport , Formula 1 Hotel cost me £20 per night - Good price! :sunglasses:

I got a electric 12V cooler box from Aldi so is ok to use cooler all time in my car? If I switch off the car engine then cooler box will be continue running but will be affect on my car battery? :confused: Shall i buy a special box - Adapter something to protect the battery?

Also I will buy a Sat Nav so can you tell me which one is best to coverage Poland map include shown many of polish tiny villages! :smiley:

Also I have change the route plan, I will catch the ferry from Dover to Dunkerque and drive to Madgeburg for stay hotel overnight. Next day will drive to Łask(nr Lodz) to see our friends and stay their place for overnight then drive to Warsaw to see others friends for a long weekend, Afterward heading to Brodnica (nr Torun) to see my girlfriend’s family.

I am so looking forward it…won’t be long! :sunglasses:

Cheers Ben

@Ben , take the plug out mate as you little cool box will drain
the Bty mate, as for Sat Nav the TOM tom is a good one mate
if you have time stop at the old border crossing and vist the
museum they have there now as regards the old border crossing,
Also be careful on the road as its full of surprises, Like traffic jams
nice police & custom controls,etc ,

Betz:
I got a electric 12V cooler box from Aldi so is ok to use cooler all time in my car? If I switch off the car engine then cooler box will be continue running but will be affect on my car battery?

No, the coller box only take electricity when engine is running. When you switch it off, the cooler box switches automagically to the cosmic beams :unamused:

:? Shall i buy a special box - Adapter something to protect the battery?

Yeah, it might be a good option. I would suggest a box called “another battery”. Disclaimer: second battery won’t also run forever, but at least you’ll protect the first one :smiley:

On the more serious grounds: if you switch your cooler box overnight and hide it in boot or somewhere cold, it should keep the cold overnight.

Also I will buy a Sat Nav so can you tell me which one is best to coverage Poland map include shown many of polish tiny villages! :smiley:

From the ones you can easily buy in UK, Garmin has the best maps (or what I was told). But the best map for Poland is Polish automapa.

Also I have change the route plan, I will catch the ferry from Dover to Dunkerque and drive to Madgeburg for stay hotel overnight. Next day will drive to Łask(nr Lodz) to see our friends and stay their place for overnight then drive to Warsaw to see others friends for a long weekend, Afterward heading to Brodnica (nr Torun) to see my girlfriend’s family.

This is a good plan.

Stop in Las Vegas truckstop in Mostki for a good meal and remember that Warszawa is second worst congested city in Europe.

I am so looking forward it…won’t be long! :sunglasses:

Enjoy!

And please, one thing. Take the correction stickers if your car is British registered and use them. This might be not so important on Western European motorways, but most Polish roads are single carriageways and you’ll otherwise dazzling all oncoming drivers.

It’s a good advice also for your own comfort, as many of them will flash you with their main beam as they will be thinking that you forgot to dip your headlights. When no reaction, they will flash more, more and more and, finally, they will put their main beam on as well :wink: