Trick or thick

Went for an interview yesterday with a large national logistics company at Trafford Park.

One of the Tacho/RT(WT)R/highway code questions did not have the correct answer.

Q) A large logistics company has two drivers per vehicle, what must be their minimum rest period be? (n.b. this has been abbreviated from the actual question)
A) minimum 10 hours rest in 27 hours.
B) minimum 8 hours rest in 27 hours.
C) minimum 10 hours rest in 30 hours.
D) minimum 8 hours rest in 30 hours.

I wrote the correct answer underneath, as it said on the cover sheet, show workings out etc. on the paper.

Was it a trick question (to see if I knew non of the answers were correct) or does this company/managers not read the rule books.

Has anyone else encountered anything similar?

Admittedly I looked this up so won’t put the answer in just in case others are testing their knowledge like i tried to do before ehhh looking it up.

The options are all related to double manning so there can’t be any confusion with single manning in which case I would go for ‘trick’ as they maybe looking for that special driver who gets this one right. I would antipate you are offered the job quite soon.

Work Shy:
Went for an interview yesterday with a large national logistics company at Trafford Park.

One of the Tacho/RT(WT)R/highway code questions did not have the correct answer.

Q) A large logistics company has two drivers per vehicle, what must be their minimum rest period be? (n.b. this has been abbreviated from the actual question)

I wrote the correct answer underneath, as it said on the cover sheet, show workings out etc. on the paper.

Was it a trick question (to see if I knew non of the answers were correct) or does this company/managers not read the rule books.

Surely the answer is D.

9 hours rest in 30 minus one hour rest for allowable interruption = 8 hours rest in 30.

Dipper_Dave:
I would antipate you are offered the job quite soon.

Holy [zb]

■■■■ - I wanted that job.

Work Shy:

Assuming the question is about multi-manning the correct answer would be minimum 9 hours rest within 30 hours.

Obviously the drivers would need breaks but a break is not a rest period, so it’s 9 hours rest in 30 hours.

Rest can be reduced to 8 hours where ferries are involved.

The OP has abbreviated the question - he’s probably
deleted the most important factor, where I work - the ferry docks.
The answer is D.

"Surely the answer is D.

9 hours rest in 30 minus one hour rest for allowable interruption = 8 hours rest in 30."
What allowable interruption? If you are getting confused with interrupting daily rest to embark/disembark ferry/train the minimum interrupted rest must be 11 hours in total.

“Rest can be reduced to 8 hours where ferries are involved”

Not heard of any daily rest being reduced to minimum 8 hours for quite a few years? Am I wrong? Regardless of whether ferries/ports are involved or not??

Well the question doesn’t mention ferries so I see not reason to think that a ferry trip is involved.

But it doesn’t matter anyway, when a driver is taking a daily rest period on a ferry or train the daily rest period can be interrupted twice, the total interruptions must amount to no more than 1 hour.

The regular daily rest period still has to be taken, it cannot be reduced because of the interruptions.

So the correct answer is still minimum 9 hours rest within 30 hours :wink:

edit: For confirmation that a daily rest period cannot be reduced due to interruptions read here

^^^^^ This +1

AETR drivers’ hours rules on multi-manning and ferry or train journeys

If your vehicle is being driven by more than one driver, or your journey involves ferry or train transport, the European Agreement Concerning the Work of Crews of Vehicles Engaged in International Road Transport (AETR) sets out specific rules on rest periods. The AETR rules are different to European Union (EU) drivers’ hours rules.
Multi-manning
If you are continuously operating a vehicle with another driver, you must both take a daily rest period of at least eight consecutive hours. You must do this within the 30-hour period that begins at the end of the last rest period.

Source:
findlaw.co.uk/law/small_busi … /7702.html

Surprised aswell :open_mouth:

Zanfta:
Surprised aswell ? :open_mouth:

No - Why should I be ? - I’m a Professional Driver.

Unless AETR countries were mentioned in the question, or unless the job involves regular trips to AETR countries I see no reason to think they’re involved :confused:

AETR rules only cover NON-EU member states AND are now totally aligned with EU 561/2006, so this link would only apply to journeys crossing into non-EU states & must be out of date too (haven’t looked yet!!! Apologies).

tachograph:
Unless AETR countries were mentioned in the question . . . I see no reason to think they’re involved :confused:

Daz1970:
(haven’t looked yet!!! Apologies).

Let us know when you have.

Here are the AETR regulations, see article 8, no mention of an 8 hour rest period for multi-manned vehicles.

Taken from VOSA guide pg 24/25
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/208091/rules-on-drivers-hours-and-tachographs-goods-vehicles-in-gb-and-europe.pdf

From September 2010, the AETR rules have been amended to recognise the digital tachograph and align closely with Council Regulation (EC) 561/2006. The changes include:
- defining the maximum weekly driving limit as 56 hours
- removing the compensation for reduced daily rest
- raising the minimum length of daily rest from 8 to 9 hours
- allowing the daily rest to be taken in two periods (instead of three as previously)
- permitting a regular daily rest period to be interrupted no more than twice for ferry journeys (rather
than once as previously)[/b]

Dieseldoforme:

Daz1970:
(haven’t looked yet!!! Apologies).

Let us know when you have.

I have looked now Dieseldoforme & I think info. on the web-link is out of date (even though recent dates are cited) and/or the question the OP describes is focussing on the old (pre-September 2010) rules. I have also looked at uptodate AETR link from Tachograph’s post. He’s correct, as is my VOSA link & Tachograph’s AETR link.

8 hours rest gone forever…good riddance!!!

Dieseldoforme:

tachograph:
Unless AETR countries were mentioned in the question . . . I see no reason to think they’re involved :confused:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I stick to what I said, applying for a job in this country “Unless AETR countries were mentioned in the question, or unless the job involves trips to AETR countries I see no reason to think they’re involved” in the question.

Not that it really matter now anyway :smiley: :wink:

^^^ Game, set & match!!!