Trial Day.

An agency is sending me for trial day with a potential employer.

Its going to be an unpaid day. They mentioned that I would be going out as a drivers mate to learn the ropes as it were. Not sure if im doing any driving.

If im not doing driving would i have to put my digi card in slot 2 for the duration of the day?

Cheers

Personally, if I was doing an unpaid day then I’d be doing nothing more than sitting there watching the world go by.

truckerturner:
An agency is sending me for trial day with a potential employer.

Its going to be an unpaid day. They mentioned that I would be going out as a drivers mate to learn the ropes as it were. Not sure if im doing any driving.

If im not doing driving would i have to put my digi card in slot 2 for the duration of the day?

Cheers

If you are working then its in with the digi card, its a complete p@@s take to make you do that for no money though, Typical of todays p@@s taking companies. As if you work elsewhere it may screw up your week/s or let you present employer find out you have been elsewhere.
But if it gets you what you want then biting the bullet is your choice.

I know its not great not getting paid. It will be my first ever driving job after passing my class 2, if i get it. Also i have to drive there in my own car and pay for the severn bridge toll!! Both of which i cant claim back. Just looking at it from the experience point of view which is so hard to get when you first start out in this industry.

Know exactly what you mean. I did one of those once, and had a lucky break when a driver went home ill and I got to drive for the afternoon. All for no money, but the company phoned the agency and asked for me the following day.
Being seen to be willing to do this (i.e. bit of give and take in working relationship) could work out for you. Best of luck with it.

truckerturner:
I know its not great not getting paid. It will be my first ever driving job after passing my class 2, if i get it. Also i have to drive there in my own car and pay for the severn bridge toll!! Both of which i cant claim back. Just looking at it from the experience point of view which is so hard to get when you first start out in this industry.

Get receipts for bridge and record of milage, and claim against tax man as legitimate expense of looking for work, especially if you are on dole.
Good luck…try to impress.

Thanks bit apprehensive but its all new so to be expected i suppose.

truckerturner:

Seriously - any employer that asks you to do this is not worth bothering with

How can they be an employer if they don’t actually pay you and reimburse your expenses

There’s better out there mate just keep looking and don’t ever sell yourself short - Good luck

In the non-driving world you don’t get paid to go to an interview or (usually) get expenses paid for travelling there. Not totally unreasonable for a company to want to check out a brand new driver a little bit before he gets sent out in one of their vehicles.

At least he gets a day observing someone else doing the job he wants to do which will be experience for when he goes out on his own (for any company). I’d turn up and see what happens, better than waiting for the phone to ring.

Cheers th2013 my sentiments exactly. Ive been looking for driving work for a month now and this is the best offer ive had so far. Most companies dont even consider you if youve got zilch xp like me so cant complain. Ive nothing to lose apart from a few quid.

I had an unpaid assessment which was a whole day on the truck with driver. Done some driving during the day, and assisted driver during unloading (no handball), and 2 days later was offered a full time job… I think it is always worth to try… Best of luck and enjoy a day out:)

When I first had my licence did the same thing , went out for the day , driver said I would have no probs and would tell the boss that , empty promises from them , then when passed class 1 did the same with a smaller company and after that work reg for them on artic , think its a case of finding the right company that actually wants drivers , not someone who is gonna take advantage of a free days work lol , as someone has said this way of gaining experience is a bit hit and miss , but go for it , as long as your not doing a day taking work from someone else who will be paid for the day its a great way of learning the ropes so to speak as you have someone you can pick up tips from :bulb:

Thanks for all the positive comments. ill let you know how i get on.

Best of luck like someone else commented you wouldn’t get reimbursed for the cost of a new suit and everything else you might buy for any other type of interview so to do 1 days work for free if it gets you a permanent job to me is a no brainer.

Well all went ok on my unpaid trial day. Drove a 26T DAF for the first time since passing my test in Feb 2013. Delivered to bargain booze shops in towns around the breckon beacons. Some quite tricky driving for a first time out. Did myself proud though. Got back in one piece and ive been given more work driving tomorrow, this time paid. Also getting the results of an interview i had on monday with a palletways company tomorrow. So the balls in the newbies court for once,as it were. Cheers for all the advice it helped alot thanks.