Travelling To Germany

Hi all new to this only been driving since end of July.

I have got to take an Arctic to Germany in January. Will probably be going down to Calais and across from there. Any tips/advice please. Am fully ok with the regs in the uk but no idea about abroad. From what I can tell I just need to change the end/begin country accordingly. No idea about not driving on certain days etc. Will be taking an exhibition stand over. Do I need to pay on any roads?

why am I thinking,baptism by fire here…sits back awaiting the replies with eager anticipation… :astonished:

Hi there, you will require the last 28 days of tachograph records, if not , an attestation activity letter is needed by law.
Your employer will sort it online, by printing one for you.
No handwriting on the letter apart from signatures.
If the load needs securing it must be strapped.If not , the driver, consignee and consignor gets a large fine and they pay for it to be offloaded at a depot.
The German Dvsa are called BAG, they enforce commercial vehicles all day and night.
Tolls are payable by self service machines by entering start and end point on the motorway, if you do use a part of the journey , you get a refund.
Toilets are not free but you get a voucher to buy food or drinks.
Truckstops are Autohofs,very clean.
You will find the locals frindly and helpful, beware of early closing times of factories and some warehouses.
The food is excellent, on the motorway , you eat like a King, five star food, you can use the free national roads and park in towns or villages with no problems and find a taverna for beer served in two litre glasses.
Pork schitznel is pork fried with breadcrumbs, the size of a steering wheel.
The scenery is amazing around the Rhine river area of Koblenz.Beware of motorway traffic that grinds to halt in seconds at busy times, have all the original vehicle documemts, no photocopies.
Fire extinguisher for the cab and trailer and it must tested and in date.
Spare light bulbs, and breakdown and tyre call out phone numbers are advisable.
First aid kit, and a shovel for the snow or ice,bag of salt or grit in case you get stuck.
GGoogle holiday driving bans, they park trucks on the night before the holiday and you drive on the night the ban ends.
Truckstops fill up early afternoon, you may see trucks from the Middle East, Turkey and Russia.Take winter clothing, a high Tog factor duvet and check the night heater is working, the inside of the cab freezes up.
If stopped by the Police , remain calm and polite, they shout, but that is just they way they talk.
The women are very good looking too.
Auf Wiedersein.

Where are you going to in Germany,if you are delivering to a trade fair(Messe) some you have to pay a deposit(100€) to get into to tip

Plan your route WELL. Don’t rely on a SAT-NAV but use an up to date ‘TRUCK-NAV’.

#NB#

CMR Documents or Commercial Invoices, stamped with full address, the purpose of the goods (eg=temporary export only not for resale).
Road Tax (Vignette) for Belgium and Luxembourg, purchase online or at the border. Credit/Fuel Card or cash (Euro’s)
Toll Collect (Road Tax) for Germany, know your entry point into the German motorway system and your exit point/junction off the motorway “Autobahn”. If you can, book your RETURN journey. Book online or at the border,(Fuel/Credit Card accepted).The Toll Collect Must cover the days you use the motorway system!!

#NB= You must not deviate from the route you have booked on the Toll Collect System# (Unless you are familiar with the Toll Collect System…)

Keep to the SPEED LIMITS for trucks in Germany…they are different to the UK!!!..keep your DISTANCE when driving.

This is very basic info about driving in Germany and YOU will learn a great deal on your first trip and it is OPEN to interpretation from other drivers!!

Most of all, chill out n relax…

Koxy.

Germany■■? Where do u start , get yourself a good road map , I used 'AA road atlas Germany ’ , it has many junction names that you ll need for your toll collect , this will be a great help to you if you don’t have access to ‘maut’ map . There is a good instructional video on you tube of how to pay ur tax , which I found a god send . Ask about , if ur on the boat , don’t be afraid of asking somebody’s advice or help . Most can will accommodate . Research your routes , don’t go to work blind on a Monday morning , knowing only that your Germany bound … Keep an eye on speeds and distances . And take your time , Germany is a stunning country so enjoy it …And whatever you do , try at all times to stay on the route specified on ur toll collect receipt , I find the printing a struggle at times , but take as long as u like to just cross reference it with the map in your hand . Mistakes can be costly … Enjoy it !

dieseldog999:
why am I thinking,baptism by fire here…sits back awaiting the replies with eager anticipation… :astonished:

Not wrong with this. Off to Frankfurt exhibition centre, beginning of Jan. Scared is not the word, just really want to get it right with paying all the taxes etc. Was really hoping to go over with another driver who has done it loads but this is not looking likely as he is off to Düsseldorf a few days before I am supposed to be going.

Appreciate advice so far.

im not knocking you,just waiting to see what your replies are…would it not be prudent to take your employers advice regarding routes and tolls seeing as they’ve been running there before?..on a lighter note,then …once your there,and at a loose end as to what to do to pass away those idle off duty hours,then just mooch around the perimeter of the central railway station.and take a spare Elastoplast with you. :wink:

toby1234abc:
If the load needs securing it must be strapped.If not , the driver, consignee and consignor gets a large fine and they pay for it to be offloaded at a depot.

not really, securing is the job of the driver (unless they insist on it at the consignee) and if you get stopped with unsecured cargo, you will simply stay parked there until you have the cargo secured. only with severe overweight or very unstable load will you be reloading at a depot.

A phrase book will make life easier, if it helps to learn a few basics. Signs such as one way, goods in office, shut at 16.00, or ordering food and so on.
The Germans speak very good English and you may well be suprised how much knowledge they have of England and our odd habits.
Relax and enjoy the journey.
Ask any driver how to use the toll machine, even if they can not speak English , they will show you, it is confusing at first but you get used to getting the ticket.
The machine is in many languages, scroll through the menu on the touch screen.
Staff in the shop will help.
One time I saw a huge chemical or fuel refinery factory at night, and it must have been three miles long in size as I drove past.
It was like a town.
Take cash in case the bank cards decide not to work.
The locals I met all had a wicked sense of humour.
Check the % abv on the beer, one pint may make you legless and forget where the truck was parked.

When it comes to Germany, I’d always ask the boss for a route plan. We can all decide which way to go and find our way but the German toll system is expensive so I wouldn’t make the final call.

For Frankfurt I used to go Antwerp, round cologne along the 4 and all the ways down the 3.
Some drivers go Brussels, to me it’s six of one and I just preferred Antwerp.

Cheers for all the advice feel I will leave it to them to tell me which way to go. Put the ball in there court.

Remember don’t wind your clock forward…Unless your running late.

My first trip to Germany was to Frankfurt and its a nice easy run.

One little tip though - When you put in Frankfurt on the toll collect it will route you through Koln as you will be crossing the border at Aachen. Check the route before you pay your money. The reason is because you simply want to follow the A4 onto the A3 for Frankfurt. The toll collect will try and send you down a shorter route when you get to Koln rather than staying on the main route. Simply go into your route and change it to stay on the main route.

This may seem a bit confusing but when you see it on the machine its pretty obvious - good luck with your run

Make sure you pick the right Frankfurt on your satnav.
There’s a bar in front of the festhalle accessed by stairs from the street. If it’s still there try it, they do a great selection of jello shots :blush: :grimacing:

Have not read all the posts, but just be aware that you cannot overtake in Belgium on dual carriageways only after 1900 hrs. Have a good trip im sure you will enjoy it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

frenchflyer:
Have not read all the posts, but just be aware that you cannot overtake in Belgium on dual carriageways only after 1900 hrs. Have a good trip im sure you will enjoy it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

unless your from belgium

hanson:

frenchflyer:

unless your from belgium

how true :laughing: :laughing:

hanson:

frenchflyer:

unless your from belgium

Not really…you can… you only have to look for the signs…if there is a blue sign
this here than it´s allowed.
When there´s no time under the sign overtaking is allowed all times…it Ends with this sign : … when it´s raining in Belgium than overtaking is forbidden for more than 7,5t.