Traveling with rear doors open

Long story short hit the rear doors coming out of the worlds tightest bay today pulled it off the bottom 3 hinges.

Trailor is a box trailor.

Door won’t close fully so have opened it right up run a ratchet strap over the top if the trailor to hold it firmly in place. It’s not moving anywhere the other door is closed and secure with th handles + a few seals to make sure it dosnt spring open.

Once back to the yard our guys can rendo The hinges and it will be fixed

Are there any laws on driving like this? The load is all 500kg+ Pallets of machine parts so won’t go anywhere, Even so I have strapped the rear one to the walls

Anything else I can do? To avoid a ticking off (apart from it not hitting
In the first place)

you could always strap the handle to somewhere forward on the trailer chassis so it cant blow out…crack on drive and get the job done. :slight_smile:

Surely you’d ring your boss/workshop? They they tell you to either bring it back or send someone out to you. Worst thing you can do is run with it without getting the nod.

I have the ok to run back

Just wondering best way to do it

You say you’ve “opened it right up”? So it’s now flat against the outside of the trailer?
One (top) hinge and one strap taking the weight of the door?
If so is it absolutely flat against side wall or can the wind get in there?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

If that’s the way it is I’d be tempted to rip it right off, and stow it somewhere safer. If 3 of the 4 hinges are ripped off it’ll likely be more than a couple of self tappers with fresh rawlplugs needed anyways.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Yes, flat as I can Get it

And there are 3 straps on it.

It’s only a wooden framed door and. It a huge container type one. It’s still pretty heavy but not like a fridge door would weigh

The door has needed to be replaced for sometim now anyway as it’s been hit before and always requires a lift to get it into the catch

Every cloud I suppose

Are the hinges taking the weight of the door?If only one hinge is doing the work of four then the door could fall off,resulting in points.I often see lorries going about with one door open if they are carting something to long to allow the doorto shut.

Back safe and sound with no issues

:sunglasses:

good man…job done.sometimes theres an option not to be a h&s plobber jobsworth bean counter and just get on with things… :slight_smile:

Amazing how 3 straps can hold a door and today I used two straps on each double stacked timber packs. Drove over 250 miles and they were still there too. Straps, they are the future.