Travel to Portugal

welshboyinspain:

MisterStrood:
I am not Portuguese myself but I just came back from 10 days holiday in Sao Martinho do Porto and absolutely loved it. It was first time I have been to Portugal. Hard job there to be a lorry driver. Respect for them hard grafters.

you’ll find that most of the portugese drivers are in spain working as the vast majority of portugese trucks aren’t driven by them any more, but with the low powered trucks and the age of them it is a hard job :laughing: :laughing:

It’s not exactly like that,but i know that there are hundreds of portuguese drivers in spain!!i Don’t blame them,if they can get double the money they get in any portuguese company travelling all over Europe in a crap truck!!
I think Patinter employ most of the foreigns,but again i don’t blame them for looking for a better life (i mean the drivers),i have done the same!!
Do you know of any companies doing Spain and Portugal only??

Binas:

welshboyinspain:

MisterStrood:
I am not Portuguese myself but I just came back from 10 days holiday in Sao Martinho do Porto and absolutely loved it. It was first time I have been to Portugal. Hard job there to be a lorry driver. Respect for them hard grafters.

you’ll find that most of the portugese drivers are in spain working as the vast majority of portugese trucks aren’t driven by them any more, but with the low powered trucks and the age of them it is a hard job :laughing: :laughing:

It’s not exactly like that,but i know that there are hundreds of portuguese drivers in spain!!i Don’t blame them,if they can get double the money they get in any portuguese company travelling all over Europe in a crap truck!!
I think Patinter employ most of the foreigns,but again i don’t blame them for looking for a better life (i mean the drivers),i have done the same!!

I don’t blame them at all but I don’t understand the mentality of working for less than the locals, if a spanish driver earns 2500 a month why shouldn’t any other? why do the companies like patinter pay bulgarians 1200 meaning the portugese have to move to find work, and who should be blamed? the bosses or the drivers for agreeing to work for such ■■■■ money?

welshboyinspain:

Binas:

welshboyinspain:

MisterStrood:

I don’t blame them at all but I don’t understand the mentality of working for less than the locals, if a spanish driver earns 2500 a month why shouldn’t any other? why do the companies like patinter pay bulgarians 1200 meaning the portugese have to move to find work, and who should be blamed? the bosses or the drivers for agreeing to work for such [zb] money?

Why ? - Simply because of greed. Imagine yourself having company of so many trucks and paying to the foreign ( cheap ) driver half of normal rate. Just give them 30% less and count. Based on 500 drivers it is 375.000 a month and 4.500.000 profit a year and now say if you was a boss you would not have that thoughts trying to be a reality ?
Look at ES in the UK paying drivers 7.50 ph or so. That is how they grew big and that is why so many people hate them.
As who is to blame - both, but probably the driver is still happy as in his home country he earns far less.

I blame both, employer and driver!! i’ve been in the Uk nearly 8 years and i have never worked for a penny less than all the other drivers!! There was a company i applied for a job and they had a go on me,saying i would be doing a diffrent job from the other drivers,therefore 6£ an hour would be a good rate for me!! i should have,but i wasn’t rude and just left,without punching him! Boy,and if i needed a job at the time…no experience as a HGV driver, looking for the first job,21 years old…but NO THANKS!!!

Me either, and I do blame both too but the thing is always what would you do if it is your business ?
It is difficult to discuss as we are on one end but there is and the other.

Bienvendos senor camionista,TIR,used to load out of Soporcel a large american owned paper and wood mill,heavy loads,the smell was bad from the factory and give you a headache,by Figuera de Foz.
The best parts of Portugal is the Transmontana area of Braganza,Guimaraes,Braga,Viseu,Coimbra,for pennies in a rural area,with not many tourists,you can eat steak the size of a steering wheel.
Dont know why most brits flock to the Algarve,yes nice beaches,but rip off food and drinks.
I used to live off Rua da Boavista,by the big roundabout with about ten exits on it,Matosinhos used to be a smelly dump in the 1990`s,now it is yuppified,new tram system like Porto has,Matosinhos was famous for its fresh fish.
For 20 pence the firemen let British International drivers use the shower in the fire station at Leca de Palmeria,the big docks.
Any food poisoning was cured with strong expresso with Pegas liquer,it will flush the system of any bugs in the stomach.
Tango,beer with red syrup,bifanas,beef sarnies,franchesinas,a foot high mega mega sandwich with piquante,a spicy hot gravy,and dont forget the cod,or bacalou,there are 1000 ways to cook that.

MisterStrood:
Me either, and I do blame both too but the thing is always what would you do if it is your business ?
It is difficult to discuss as we are on one end but there is and the other.

If it was my business i wouldn’t want someone who works cheaper,i’d want someone who works harder!!
What’s the point for all those eastern european, portuguese… hauliers working for peanuts??Is that the way to reach the level of the richest countries in Europe??for me they are destroying themselves,the small hauliers,and if the law allow them to come and stay,they will be living months on their trucks,doing all the national work in here,drowning the big companies as well!! But it’s not the poor driver who is getting richer,or the haulier,it’s the same ones, the big ones who are already rich, and greedy,and they want more and more!!That’s just my opinion on what life have taught me so far,but i may be wrong…

There are many Brazilian,Columbian,Peruvian,Equadorian,Argentinian,Ukrainian drivers working all over the EU,how do they get round the work permits and visa`s?

Fundos or cacarados,as they say,and filo de putas. :smiley:

bullitt:
…Next time he is let out by the medics to get near a computer im sure he will log on and embrace you in his own inimitable style!! :laughing: :laughing:

Told ya!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: