Trapped in Greece, how can I get my van out?

Hi, my van broke down in Greece and I couldn’t afford to repair it so I parked it on a friends private land and flew back to the UK to save up.

I didn’t realise a non Greek vehicle could only be in the country for 6 months, so now I don’t know how to get it out again without being impounded at the border.

Apparently the fines are extortionate for overstaying. I have read on forums that they don’t check road tax on the ferry to Italy, but if they are wrong I’ve lost my van (and home).

I’m exploring the idea now of having a Bulgarian tow truck drive over and carry me out, as that way I wouldn’t be on the road.

Does anyone here have any ideas, besides planning better?

Thanks,
Andy

Just thinking out loud here but I imagine a UK registered vehicle leaving on the back of a recovery truck would arouse some interest at the border as technically it is still “leaving” regardless of whether or not it’s under its own steam.

You don’t say whether or not it’s now fixed? If it is then I’d be tempted to put some made up UK plates on it for the purpose of crossing the border, and then immediately putting the right ones back on.

If that goes horribly wrong then I’m sure that there’s a good film to rival “Midnight Express” there! :wink:

I’ll be over in a couple of wks, dropping Athens & currently empty back, but searching Italy for stuff back, enclosed car transporter not sure I’d have the height for anything but a small van, what is it?

you can go to customs of the area you have the car parked and give them the licence and number plates off the car. so the six months time stop clocking, when you are ready to fix it you can take it back and of you go!

Job done, I am sending Ronnie Pickering down, meet him in his Citroen, but like the war, do not mention the word moped, he is not called one drop Ron for nothing. :smiley: