Transx

Hi to all

Does anyone know anythig about transx as they have been recruiting in the uk.

Thanks for any info

Chris

What would you like to know?
What do you expect?
They are a carrier in Canada that runs all North America.
If you come to Canada; no matter who you work for you must be prepared to be on the road, away from home for weeks, maybe months.
You will be hired to drive.
You will likely spend a great deal of time in the USA.
You will have to drive in the mountains between Calgary and Vancouver in bad weather.
you will have to drive across the Canadian Shield through northern Ontario in minus 40 weather with blizzards off Lake Superior.
You will end up waiting for loads in truck stops far from home.
Trucking in North America isn’t like trucking in Europe.
check this link for some pictures of what can happen when trucking North America:
Western Mountains:

hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t … /ho_02.jpg

They might give you a Peterbilt to drive: Highway 17 in Northern Ontario

hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t … g_0452.jpg

hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t … g_0444.jpg

Note that it is a TransX rig.

Sorry my friend I know all youve said
I was meaning are they reputable and do they treat you right.
fair days pay for a fair days work and all that and not rip you off. :blush:

chrish:
Sorry my friend I know all youve said
I was meaning are they reputable and do they treat you right.
fair days pay for a fair days work and all that and not rip you off. :blush:

Well Chris; you are asking TWO questions.
Are they reputable? They are one of the top carriers in Canada. I have never heard or read anything that they are not. They run Mack and Volvo tractors as company equipment.
Any trucking company that works with these programmes must be prepared to have their books audited by HRDC to ensure that they are not paying imported drivers less than they pay Canadians.
But…it all depends on what you consider a “fair” day’s pay. I know that many feel importing off shore immigrant drivers is a way of holding wages down. I have seen it many times that there isn’t a shortage of drivers only a shortage of people who will drive for the wages these companies are paying.
These companies who are in the general freight business must stay competitive. You in England have your “Willi Betz” companies; in Canada the trucking companies must compete with the US mega carriers.
Take Schneider National as an example. Their Canadian subsidiary is one of the top twenty carriers in Canada with 515 tractors. That though is a mere bagatelle when compared with their US operations of thousands.
Who then will set the rates?

#4 TransX
Winnipeg, MB 4698 38 903 3757 509 1844

By the way, TransX is the fourth biggest carrier in Canada.
903 tractors
3757 trailers
509 owner- ops.

Source: Today’s Trucking

Chrish,

Some time ago I asked (on Trucknet.ca) “if gross was Can$60,000, what would net pay be?” as we had given thought to emigrating in a year or two.

Flippin’ eck!!! Talk about ‘shot down in flames’; I was told by an irate poster that it was people like me that would be the ruin of Canadian truckers because they wouldn’t work for a cent less than Can$70,000 per year. The point I think I failed to get across was the ‘cost of living’ issue i.e. on Can$60k I would still be better off over there than here, on house prices alone, let alone the cost of general living!

I know there are some ‘East European-phobics’ on here but it was just as bad for ‘Brit-phobics’ over there!!!

Having said all that, there are still plenty of Ex-pats that are over there and are lovin’ it!! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Marcundy says that housing is cheaper in Canada.
BJF says - well maybe in some parts of Canada it could very well be. Saskatoon for example; or Winnipeg are areas with lower housing costs.
Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton are expensive. There is an excellent reason too; very few people want to live in 'Toon or The Peg.
There are more people in Mississauga Ontario than in the entire province of SK.
Alrighty; how much can you expect to earn?
These are advertised rates for company drivers in March 2006

Celadon Canada 42cents per mile 1 week vacation per
45 cents including safety bonus 30K miles run

Kee (agency) .38 to .40 within Canada
.43 to .46 in USA nothing is published

Deluxe Freight .40 to .47 per mile out of province medical
paid for extra picks and
drops
dedicated tractor

Travelers .40 to start RRSP

• .02 -US Family Benefit Package
    .02- certain states
    .05- over 10k miles per month

Laidlaw Carriers - Van .41 cents / mile dedicated Peterbilts
14.00 per hour
AFTER 1 hour waiting

Besner Ontario .43 cents per mile benefits 50% paid

Morrice 45.5 cents per mile benefits 75% paid

H&R .42 cents benefits after 3mos.
paid waiting time etc

How many miles can you run per month or per year?
10,000 to 12,000
So you do the math.
Yes, we pay taxes here in Canada.
Say 25 to 35 % off the top.
Living expenses on the road…100.00 per week? maybe more?
These are some figures you can actually use for calculations.
These are in drivers wanted ads in Truck News march 2006.

I’m not posting this thread to be discouraging; merely realistic.
Cheers!

A Big thank you to Mark and Blue for good sensible replies.
Ive been in this Industry for 30+ yrs and have done most things in that time.
Uk work,European Been away for 5-6weeks at a time and I have worked for some very dubious employers. Also some very Good ones.
When we in the UK see these adverts in the press it starts the old grey matter working and you think would I be better off? How about starting a new life?
I’m also old enough to ask what is the down side?There is no land with milk and honey. Transport seems to be the same the world over as in there are good employers and bad. This is when we start to dig and who better to ask than you boys in Canada WHO actually do the job.
Your Tax regime seems to be similar to the UK and as we know very liitle about the companies in Canada thats why we ask the stupid questions.
We in the Uk are getting overrun with Eastern block drivers at the moment… and this in turn triggers the thought ,is it time to move? Well at least you speak the same language.
You also ask is there risistence to brit drivers in Canada(over here nicking our jobs).
There must be some plus point though or why do you stay so come on lets here the good side as well as the bad.

Thank for reading my rant I sound like a GRUMPY old man.I know the age limit is 55 but i’m just in at 54 and in good health. :laughing:

In Canada there are lots of drivers with the surname of Singh. There are lots of trucks with a Polish Eagle decal on the side too. :unamused:
Canada is not a “WASP” country any longer; there are some 140 languages recognised in Toronto alone. (Maybe it’s 120…I forget the exact figures)
In 10 years immigrants will outnumber native borns in our major cities. That was from Stats Canada. Most of we native borns feel outnumbered already. :unamused:
A large part of the trucker back lash is from people who think that the trucking associations could be doing more to increase the skills and make trucking more of a trade. They feel that the companies are going overseas to tap a supply of cheaper drivers.
Anyways here are some typical TransX rigs and Yanke rigs.
Volvos are not a premium tractor in North America; that is the Peterbilt or Kenworth. Fleets order Volvos in part because they get a decent price. Freightliners are another common fleet spec tractor.

TransX
hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t … c_8257.jpg

Yanke
hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t … c_8230.jpg

H&R
hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t … c_8216.jpg

These pictures are courtesy of Hank Suderman taken last Tuesday April 4 on the Trans Canada Highway just east of Vancouver BC. They illustrate what these carriers use.
See lots of Canadian trucking scene pictures at
www.hankstruckpictures.com
in the BC Trucking Pictures; Lunchtime at the Overpass collections.

bjf a question ive looked at the pics and saw quite a few 6 axle rigs what weight do these run at and do they venture into the states much

Carl:
bjf a question ive looked at the pics and saw quite a few 6 axle rigs what weight do these run at and do they venture into the states much

BJF,
I was going to ask the same thing, does a trucking company use a “tri-axle” trailer in order to do away with those nasty sliding tandams and does the front axle on the trailer lift when running light/empty?

Sorry not to respond till now but it has been a busy week.
Good Friday is a Public Holiday here in Canada.
Is it a holiday in England as well?
Easter Monday is a holiday for those lucky enough to work for the government; teachers etc. It is a normal day for the rest of us peons though.
The USA does not get Good Friday as a public holiday.

Now, on to “Tridems”:

The “defacto” set up is based on what is legal on the USA Federal Road system.
80,000 gross pounds on 5 axles. The trailer can be a maximum length of 53 feet and I believe entire rig can stretch 80 feet.
(Note…the Yanks still measure in pounds, feet, gallons, miles, acres and degrees fairenheit . None of that “foreign” metric stuff for them)
Most tractor trailers that work in long distance freight are set up to those standards.
Canadians, because most of our trucking goes to and from The States, are usually set up to those standards.
Individual states can have their own size and weight regulations on thei own roads. Many western USA states allow a heavier weight but it is on more axles. Thus the tridem. A “tridem” is three axles spaced closely together. In eastern Canada and some eastern US states TRIAXLES are often seen.

This is a Quad set up, but it is one extra axle on a triaxle trailer.
These are being phased out in Ontario and Quebec.

Each province in Canada sets it’s own size and weight regulations.
Closely spaced tridems are most often found in BC, Alberta, Washington and Oregon states
as these jurisdictions will have negoitated agreements to allow truckers to travel with these setups.
Size and weight and axle groupings in North America are very complex and anything of a non-standard set up is legal in a limited number of provinces and states.
I hope this serves to briefly explain the topic and not further confuse the issue.

chrish:
Hi to all

Does anyone know anythig about transx as they have been recruiting in the uk.

Thanks for any info

Chris

Hi Chris, In answer to your post , Transx is big company that was started by Louis Tolaini ( hope I spelled his name right} back in the sixties and has grown to be one of Canadas largest Reefer and dry van carrier as well as having a large inter-modal fleet. The drivers that Ive talked with speak very well about Transx and the way management handles things. They have the usual grumbles about things but i`ve never heard any one complain about not being treated well and fairly… Their is a member on truckscan and I think he calls himself Bookworm, he used to work for Transx as an owner operator, and he can probably tell you all you need to know about them.

My thanks to all for the info
I have sent my C V to them and we will see if I get a reply.
Probably too old at 54

We in the Uk are getting overrun with Eastern block drivers at the moment.

So your answer is go to Canada and screw things up.

It’s about time we raised @#@ with the government to get laws changed to keep foreigners out.

You people don’t even have any experience.
Just wheelholders.