Transshipping of loads using a lorry loader crane

Hi all
I’m looking for some answers to a problem I have.
Does anybody know the law as regards transferring your load from a drag to the prime mover using the HIAB when your in a lay-by or on the public highway. This is mainly to do with construction materials (bricks/blocks) the company I work for expect you to do this regardless and they are a large company. :exclamation:

the normal stuff applies be careful and considerate
pref where theres not a lot of “traffic”
and you have permission to be

You say they want you to do this regardless… regardless of what? I often pull up and rearrange my load in a layby, why should it be a problem?

I was talking to a wagon & drag driver I know who got told by the police he shouldn’t be doing it,this was about a month ago .

And make sure you get paid extra for doing it :smiley:

As others have said, park somewhere not causing an obstruction and with as little traffic as possible - an industrial estate or a separated layby are ideal, and crack on with it, I don’t see the problem? If you were delivering at that place, you’d get on with it surely?

If you are set to break I could see why you might think it was naughty, leave it on other work till you’re good… then set to break.

Done it for years with cabins, containers and general cargo and never had a problem with the law, as the other guys have said just don’t be stupid with it ie don’t be swinging the jib over the inside lane. I transhipped a 20ft container from drag to truck a few weeks ago on the A75 with plod sitting at the other end of the layby and they never batted an eye lid. That said I do prefer to tranship somewhere with a bit more room but sometimes needs must.

Trainshipped many a load in laybys, industrial estates and side roads and never had any problems as long as your careful and not swinging it over the road when cars are passing.

The only thing I’ve heard is in regards to a safety issue of not having the crane stabilizing legs fully extended while doing it, this was from a driver from another company who happened to be transhipping in the layby next to VOSA at Leatherhead and was spoken to by a VOSA official, but no action was taken.

Common practice on our company with no problems. Also do it using Moffet. As others have said, choose a sensible place to do it.

He means the public access aspect I suppose while you’re working but it’s no different from parking outside someone’s house & craning bricks over the pavement & fence in to someone’s manor.

Know a lad who did it at a weigh bridge with VOSA there.
He was weighed and a bit over on the axles so rearranged the load with his own CALM.
Once he was sorted he was on his way.