Transporting thermite

Guys.

Just a quick question. Do you need to be a holder of ADR to transport Thermite? As its highley flamable I would have thought it be covered as dangerous goods. But thats guessing.

Reason I ask is I had 6 pallets of the stuff on a curtain yesterday.

I wouldn’t describe Thermite as ‘highly flammable’, as it needs a red hot poker, blow torch, or other source of intense heat just to ignite the mixture!

The mixture is powdered aluminium and rust essentially. Works best out of an earthenware flowerpot to get that fast-flowing lava-like molten iron flow!

Thermite isn’t explosive either.

I reckon you could list it under “Oxidising Agent” though, as it is presumably coming ‘ready-mixed’? :unamused:

i thought termites would be classed as live animal transport.

limeyphil:

Trust you… lol.

Cheers for the sensible info.

isnt it what versurvius transport about.

limeyphil:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

I would say if you’re unsure, ask a qualified DGSA but my gut feeling is yes

■■■, imagine how many speed cameras you could do with six pallets worth :smiley:

Paul Gloria Meadows:
Do you need to be a holder of ADR to transport Thermite?

HI PGM,

No mate, thermite isn’t classified as a dangerous substance, so there’s no need for an ADR licence or any other ADR regulatory considerations when transporting it.

It might seem strange when you consider that thermite gets hot enough to weld railway lines, but ADR only gets interested when the ‘stuff’ meets certain criteria. Tests have been carried out on thermite, and it doesn’t count as ‘dangerous.’

The mixture is powdered aluminium and rust essentially.

You mean like driving a land rover?

I’ve used thermite, and it’s suprisingly difficult to light.
When it is lit, it isn’t explosive, just burns with a fierce heat.

If the truck was in a fire, I can’t see the thermite causing a huge headache.
When we recover burnt out artics, they’ve always been hot enough to melt all the ally, copper cable, only leaves the steel behind.
Thermite on board wouldn’t make that much difference, just it would melt some steel as well.

K5Project:

The mixture is powdered aluminium and rust essentially.

You mean like driving a land rover?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers for that guys. Nice and clear answers. I’ll stop worrying now then. :smiley:

dieseldave:
gets hot enough to weld railway lines,

We used it to rough cut some 100mm plate. The gas axe could have cut it, but it’d have been hard work.
So the choices were thermite or thermal lance, and the magnesium rods for the thermal lance aren’t cheap.

cieranc:

dieseldave:
gets hot enough to weld railway lines,

We used it to rough cut some 100mm plate. The gas axe could have cut it, but it’d have been hard work.
So the choices were thermite or thermal lance, and the magnesium rods for the thermal lance aren’t cheap.

We were using these in the 1970’s. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=fbr-tLdTNbA

dieseldave:

Paul Gloria Meadows:
Do you need to be a holder of ADR to transport Thermite?

HI PGM,

No mate, thermite isn’t classified as a dangerous substance, ADR only gets interested when the ‘stuff’ meets certain criteria. Tests have been carried out on thermite, and it doesn’t count as ‘dangerous.’

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shut … Propellant

Something like this then maybe. :open_mouth: :laughing:

My plasma is just a toy one, will only cut upto about 16mm :smiley: