Transporting live ammunition

I have had strange experiences over here transporting live ammo.
Being a green card holder prevents me from entering military establishments and nuclear power stations etc. One morning when I drove for St Ann’s transport I was sent along with another guy to load in an Army depot, I expected to be turned away but I wasn’t even asked for ID even though it was obvious I was not American, they loaded both of us with cases of ammo for the armory in Watervliet NY and off we set, padlocked and sealed with heavy bolts.
On arrival at the destination then came the scrutiny ! “Can’t come in, you are not a US citizen, you could be planning to take ammunition or other stuff, we could get in trouble” was the reaction.
I pointed out that if I was planning to steal ammo the load wouldn’t be here. After some talking to officers, they realised they had screwed up and I was unloaded.

i picked up a load of groupage out of West Turrock for Germany one day, on the load was some exploding bolts for the airbus factory outside Hamburg. Didn’t need adr for that because of limited quantity, was interesting when I got to dover docks and booked in. had to park separate to the other trucks and was the last to be loaded, had to drive on with headlights on and hazards, talk about over the top for limited quantities :open_mouth: :confused: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

unclegargameld:
years ago the BRS used to take bombs from Barry docks to U.S. airbases , they came in on lighters cos the ship anchored outside the dock , the bombs were put on cradles on the flat trailer , all you needed was hazard lights & off you went usually in a convoy of six , h you had an ■■■■■■ with you , usually someone off the dole offered a days work , be different now methinks

My old man used to do it.

wildfire:
i picked up a load of groupage out of West Turrock for Germany one day, on the load was some exploding bolts for the airbus factory outside Hamburg. Didn’t need adr for that because of limited quantity, was interesting when I got to dover docks and booked in. had to park separate to the other trucks and was the last to be loaded, had to drive on with headlights on and hazards, talk about over the top for limited quantities :open_mouth: :confused: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Hi wildfire,

It’s not over the top mate, because the Regs for the carriage of dangerous goods by road (ADR) are different in many respects to the Regs for the carriage of dangerous goods by sea (IMDG.)

Your exploding aircraft bolts were probably 1.4S, which ADR says has no limit that triggers full ADR into effect. Once you know that, you’re good to go as far as the roads are concerned.

Once you arrived at the docks/port, the shipping line is only interested in the rules for carriage by sea (IMDG) which doesn’t allow the same exemptions as ADR does.

:bulb: Captain Bird’s Eye isn’t very generous when it comes to exemptions. :wink: :grimacing:

Race Trucker:
If it was powder with UN rating of 1.4C you could move 333kg before your in trouble, but as finished cartridges they will be 1.4S. There is no restriction on 1.4S as I understand.

Hi Race Trucker,

If folks look up the table of ‘freebies’ in ADR, they’ll see the 333kg that you mentioned.
Many people forget that ADR regulates INTERNATIONAL journeys, and leaves each of the member countries freely able to make their own domestic legislation for the carriage of dangerous goods.

So, if it’s a UK domestic transport job, the limit for 1.4C is 500kg NEQ.

BTW, the document you linked to is a little out of date. (By getting on for 10 years. :open_mouth: )
The document you linked to mentions The Carriage of Explosives by Road Regulations (CER 1996) which were completely revoked in May of 2004.

You’re spot-on about 1.4S though. :smiley: