Transporting Foodstuffs

I’ve just had a mate ask me this question " Have you heard anything about all foodstuffs to be carried in Boxvan or Fridge trailers"
Seemingly a large company down Peterboro area are not replacing trailers till they find out for sure what the powers at B are going to announce.
IMyself havent heard anything…Anyone any ideas !!!

what foodstuffs are talking about - because what you say if it is all foodstuffs -is impossible 80% of our trailer fleet is curtainsider , that goes for eddie stobart too and just take tesco as another example probably half their trailer’s are curtainsiders.

I’d like to see how you carry bulk flour, sugar, edible oils etc in a box van

so im led to believe weve ordered loads of new fridges and tautliners with fridges [ know the tautliner bits true as one parked in one of our other yards

The only reason I can see for this would be to make the items totally ‘pest’ free whilst being transported.
With the increase of rats and other pests due to mild winters and stupid waste controls implemented by local authorities recentl this would not surprise me.
I only got out of the food industry in July and had heard nothing then.

I do know that big supermarkets hire marquees at christmas time though to keep extra food stock in, and they are obviously outside :confused:

Going slightly off topic here but supermarket deliveries and pest control is a joke.

Say I’ve got 2 drops for X supermarket, go to first drop, tip 30 cages leaving 20 cages for second drop, before I leave first drop I load 15 cages of rubbish (mainly cardboard which is normally stored outside) next to foodstuffs for second drop.

God only knows what has crawled inside the rubbish cages, which is right next to foodstuffs so I’m now driving half bin waggon and half foodstuffs

Bizarre totally bizarre

As far as I was told its general palletised grocery foodstuffs, normally run in tautliners.

As for supermarket trailers. 1 company in the central belt should get a award for having the filthiest tautliner and fridges…breading ground for anything

att:
The only reason I can see for this would be to make the items totally ‘pest’ free whilst being transported.
With the increase of rats and other pests due to mild winters and stupid waste controls implemented by local authorities recentl this would not surprise me.
I only got out of the food industry in July and had heard nothing then.

I do know that big supermarkets hire marquees at christmas time though to keep extra food stock in, and they are obviously outside :confused:

Good call on the pest , that will be the reason if there is one.
The certain supermarkets you refer to only store things like,bottled/canned drinks in these marquees, nothing a rat would be interested in. (mind you it would be chrismas and a rat is entitled to a drink as much as the next man at this time of year)

The problem with rat infestations is not what they eat into.
It’s the fact that rats (like TM’s :laughing: ) are incontinent.
I always shudder when I see people drinking from cans and bottles that MAY have had rats peeing all over them. YEUCH!!

bedgar047:
As for supermarket trailers. 1 company in the central belt should get a award for having the filthiest tautliner and fridges…breading ground for anything

agreed, in fact in put me off shopping at their shops when i saw and smelt the inside of one - its disgusting in fact how they get away with it is behond me :open_mouth: