Transport operators+ Hgv drivers ignorance legal requirement

In the uk many drivers knowingly and unknowingly break the law everyday.

The transport operators allow this and claim ignorance.
The implications can be catastrophic
Large blue chip companies are also involved as they benefit from cheap drivers and hence cheap rates and high percentage profits

Drive safely and remember its not all about you.

thelorrylawyer.com/for-manag … r-fatigue/
Please see above link to understand fatigue and its link to long hours at work like hanging arround like you have no place better to be.

A breach of working time is a criminal offence,

Have you not posted this sort of stuff before ? :confused: :unamused:

Yes that’s right.
However whilst surfing the web I noticed another post from other drivers refering to the subject of long hours and low wages and that little gem ( P O A )
Did you know there is a difference in Standby or on call and periods of availability.
There is supposed to be a shortage of HGV drivers in the industry so what we need is something that appeals to wannabe drivers like good wages and a work life ballance.
It might be a case that hgv drivers are totally unaware that there use of the tachograph or Digital tachograph is incorrect and some dont give a ■■■■, but at the end of the day its considered a criminal offence if the purpose is to evade.
In reality most drivers bang it on P O A and leave it on rest whilst working or whilst on standby for the purpose of working more.
It appears the industry ignores compliance but at a cost.
Major and minor accidents are a daily occurrence most put down to a mistake or accident.
There are loads of statistics on fatigue and accidents.
No professional hgv driver wants to make a mistake and were not all robots but long hours and busy roads are not a good mix.
I know lots of drivers who all agree that P O A is a loop hole fiddle that was once a grey area but its now black and white.
All the best

Oh God, he’s back :cry: Here we go again…

Oh you make me sound like swatzernigger The Terminated.
Do you comply punk.

Nope - you make you sound like a PITA.

I say if you cant sensibly comment on what’s a ongoing issue may I suggest you find yourself a secluded lay bye and do what your best at.
Mind you don’t park close to the road as wouldn’t want your truck to cause problems for other road users.

I’m giving up on U K truckers as there’s no point giving advice.
Youve had your warnings on the correct use of working time and choose to ignore it.
Drivers will crash and have accidents from overwork and tiredness.
I actually lose lots of money by working less hours but hey that’s the law.
Good luck and safe driving and please stop using your phones whist driving, ,tailgating, and throwing urine out of your windows. (For starters)

Ross v stobart:
I say if you cant sensibly comment on what’s a ongoing issue may I suggest you find yourself a secluded lay bye and do what your best at.
Mind you don’t park close to the road as wouldn’t want your truck to cause problems for other road users.

Do you know why drivers are tired? They are tired of increasing legislation, VOSA ■■■■■■■■ and overuse of company policies that does away with any common sense.

If you lock a prisoner in a dingy cell with only a chair and a table, they will fall asleep, it makes the time pass quicker. When you sit a driver in a plastic chair with 3 others who are all trying to tell the greatest story ever told, the sensible driver will close his eyes, but he is not sleeping, he is just sick of the monotonous droning. After making a driver wait in this room for up to 6 hours, he is suddenly supposed to be able to wake up like a machine and work for a further 4 hours without a proper meal or refreshment. On top of that the cab phone is ringing constantly chasing the drivers progress even though he is stood still on the M25 because someone jumped off a bridge, maybe another driver who had endured the 6 hour waiting room punishment. Refreshment is more than food and drink, it is something you can do to relax, chill out, have a shower or go for a stroll, none of which you can do in an RDC

It is the monotonous droning that makes drivers unsafe.

My last truck had a tracking device on it, the girl in the office would ring us if we stopped. Why have you stopped? Where are you? when she clearly knows where I am.

I was asked this one morning when i had pulled into a rest area about an hour after coming off the train. I replied, have you had a crap this morning love? “Yes of course I have” Well I haven’t so zb off and stop bothering me!

Its not a case of giving up but you are assuming that we need to know

If an official report comes out that states and proves that loads of LGV drivers are crashing due to lack of proper rest/sleep then that would deserve a wake up call = intersting use of a phrase yes?

Oh for god’s sake belt up.

Have you got a lorry licence? Drive much? r do you just sit there finding ways to get up my nose?

I know I’m new on the forum but I’m fed up of people bashing HGV drivers for something to do.

Get out there and have a word with yourself.

Ross v stobart:

Pot, kettle? :unamused:
And I think you will find my opinion is in a majority around here when it comes to your pointless drivel. I am aware of the WTD, I find that obeying it to the letter does not make me any less tired, and if it interferes with my getting the job done in the most suitable way (whether that is for me or my gaffer) - I will quietly ignore it.
I also agree with every post on here - apart from yours which I find condescending at best, and ■■■■■■■ annoying at worst.
Thank you, I’m off for a pint.

Oh, and trust me -the only time I am EVER likely to throw ■■■■ out of my window is if I see your sanctimonious mug!

Thanks for the feedback.
I admit you drivers have a good point with respect to getting the job done.
The regulations are a hindrance.
The spirit of the regulations were well intended but they dont fit in with running of the industry.
My problem is my interpretation of the regulations is different from most drivers and employers but I am also told that I’m right.
Id say that drivers of HGV trucks have a big responsibility to drive with full attention and unfortunately some are distracted by having symptoms of fatigue from the ammount of time they are working/duty/on call.
I’m not saying everyone works 80 hours driving and unloading but a hell of a lot do.
To cut a long story short the requirements of the regulations aren’t followed and should be scrapped.
Apologies for any offence and none is intended.

Drive safe.
Slow down , save fuel and maintain a safe distance.

Ross v stobart:
Thanks for the feedback.
I admit you drivers have a good point with respect to getting the job done.
The regulations are a hindrance.
The spirit of the regulations were well intended but they dont fit in with running of the industry.
My problem is my interpretation of the regulations is different from most drivers and employers but I am also told that I’m right.
Id say that drivers of HGV trucks have a big responsibility to drive with full attention and unfortunately some are distracted by having symptoms of fatigue from the ammount of time they are working/duty/on call.
I’m not saying everyone works 80 hours driving and unloading but a hell of a lot do.
To cut a long story short the requirements of the regulations aren’t followed and should be scrapped.
Apologies for any offence and none is intended.

Drive safe.
Slow down , save fuel and maintain a safe distance.

Having read through some of your posts, that strikes me as the most sensible thing you’ve said in a long while
(just the red bits)

Well being colour I cant see red.
But thanks for your view. :smiley:

Ross v stobart:
I’m giving up on U K truckers as there’s no point giving advice.
Youve had your warnings on the correct use of working time and choose to ignore it.
Drivers will crash and have accidents from overwork and tiredness.
I actually lose lots of money by working less hours but hey that’s the law.
Good luck and safe driving and please stop using your phones whist driving, ,tailgating, and throwing urine out of your windows. (For starters)

Thats the point, you’re not giving advice. When you’re not telling everyone what POA is or is not you’re asking them what they think of it now you’re giving up on them.
Another fact is , if you really are Mr.Ross of Ross v Stobart fame then you yourself did not know about the ramifications of POA or you wouldn’t have been in work when you had exceeded your working hours. As it was you where. Them facts are recorded in the judgement. Now you’re more clued up you appear to have a bee in your bonnet about POA. You’ve never answered the question, what happened after your judgement , how did you go on? You got dismissed for your attitude not POA regs. You appear to have an attitude here too, no matter what anyone says you ramble on and infact you come out with some incoherent stuff too.
If you want to periodically regenerate the same discussion it might be better for you to search out one of your older threads and add to it rather than starting new threads on the same topic, that way people can be more informed of who they are dealing with and what its about.

I actually was here before posting details of a public judgement.
The details you refer are from that judgement.
One of the points of the judgement was to find that on call and standby is working time.
I had a mixed reaction from members and didnt want to press the issue.
However recently I stumbled upon another thread on this site which is really what this is about.
My argument or issue is not a lone voice as other drivers recognise something is not right.
The hours drvers work are excessive and do not comply with the regulations.
Ive tried to show that the judgment helps drivers by clarification of whats deemed a grey area.
Concerning the outcome of the old case I can say that with reference to working time complaints , well that’s tricky issue indeed.
On drivers interpretation of P O A , I think drivers know the answer to that.

Daily rest calls
All the best.
Oh and if its foggy
Slow down