transport managers

dieseldave:

Big Joe:
So, the 4/50 rule is an EU job creation scheme, and no doubt the UK will implement it to the letter :unamused:

Hi Big Joe,

Under Article 30 above, the UK has no choice but to comply with it because it’s already been implemented by the EU.

An EU Regulation isn’t the same as an EU Directive, because a Directive is aimed at governments and sets out a framework and a timescale, then the governments of the EU Member States each pass their own national law to comply with the instructions a Directive contains. There’s usually more lattitude in a Directive than there is in a Regulation.

Thats as may be Dave, but surely someones good repute goes on results, not how much time they’re expected to spend with each operator, 8 hours a week per operator even for one truck WTF, so an hour to check a weeks tachos (and make a brew, check the racing, horoscopes, start at the crossword), quick look at the wall planner to check for the next safety inspection, a look around the vehicle if its in the yard, 2 hours max, with another 6 hours left he’d be able to drive the thing as well into the bargain :grimacing:
Where do these civil servants dream up these rules…oh yes I’ve just remembered, from behind a desk :unamused:

LEVEL OF AUTHORITY
The suggested amounts of time offer a broad guideline as to what traffic commissioners might expect in terms of hours worked;
Starting point The guidelines below indicate the starting point in terms of weekly hours of work to be specified by a transport manager. The level of hours required for any other employment or activities in which the proposed transport manager is engaged may restrict his/her ability to devote sufficient time to the duties of a transport manager on any operator’s licence.
Delegated Authority Applications where the starting point is met and there is no other relevant adverse information (see ‘Determining Factors’ below) may be determined under delegated authority in accordance with existing delegations. Proposals which do not meet the guidelines must be referred to the relevant traffic commissioner for a decision.
Motor Vehicles -------- Proposed Hours (per week)
2 or less ----------------- 8 Hours
3 to 5 ------------------ 15 Hours
6 to 10 --------------- 20 Hours
11 to 14--------------------- 25 Hours
15 to 29 ------------------- Full time
30 and above------------- (Full Time) Additional assistance required
Additional hours may be required for trailers.

Dave the Renegade:
LEVEL OF AUTHORITY

It’s clear see how civil servants work compared to how us in ‘the real world’ have to manage. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m manager for a friends car body body shops two vehicles, one in Manchester & one in Liverpool & I don’t need to put in 8 hrs a month to fully take care of all requirements. Obviously, if asked, I might not give that answer to an official!! (not that I’d lie!!! :unamused: )

Ross.

bigr250:

Dave the Renegade:
LEVEL OF AUTHORITY

It’s clear see how civil servants work compared to how us in ‘the real world’ have to manage. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m manager for a friends car body body shops two vehicles, one in Manchester & one in Liverpool & I don’t need to put in 8 hrs a month to fully take care of all requirements. Obviously, if asked, I might not give that answer to an official!! (not that I’d lie!!! :unamused: )

Ross.

Thats about all you can do Ross.Vosa won’t accept you as a TM unless you state that you are doing the hours as per on the chart.I quite agree,what can you find to do for eight hours a week for an owner with one lorry.Also very few could afford to pay you for eight hours.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:
Thats about all you can do Ross.Vosa won’t accept you as a TM unless you state that you are doing the hours as per on the chart.I quite agree,what can you find to do for eight hours a week for an owner with one lorry.Also very few could afford to pay you for eight hours.
Cheers Dave.

Nice to see someone agrees with me Dave, I only took over as TM as he runs two recovery trucks but as we all know, under the recovery rules you cant deliver a hire car or re-deliver the repaird car without an O licence. He got caught out by VOSA and was given 1 month to apply for a restricted or full licence, he asked me for advice and as he occasionally collects hire cars he doesn’t own when he drops repaired cars I reconed he required a ‘full’ O licence.

I stepped in as a temporarry measure 7 years ago, I must negotiate some remuneration!!! :smiling_imp: He doesn’t know it yet but he will be painting my F16 when it’s ready for painting. :wink:

Ross.

Having a freight national and international I had considered looking into being a freelance TM, but have never really got it past the thinking about it stage. And if you end up working for some dodgy boss you are putting your good repute on the line. My CPC is as clean as a whistle and I want to keep it that way.

Malc44:
Having a freight national and international I had considered looking into being a freelance TM, but have never really got it past the thinking about it stage. And if you end up working for some dodgy boss you are putting your good repute on the line. My CPC is as clean as a whistle and I want to keep it that way.

I wouldn’t worry too much about your repute, if you find the company utilising your TM services aren’t running to the letter of the law just bin them off & report them to the TC. Simples.

Ross.

Malc44:

I have withdrawn my CPC off two different operators in the past who haven’t been up to standard.My advice is go for it,but keep an eye on everything and if they won’t listen when you pull them up about something withdraw your services.Write to the TC also put it in writing to the operator concerned and keep your repute.

Thanks for the heads up, fellas.
I might just look into it. What is the going rate for a freelance TM these days■■?

Malc44:
What is the going rate for a freelance TM these days■■?

Well as you have to allocate 8 hours to an operator, what are you prepared to work an hourly rate for. Minimum wage is nearly £6 per hour - so at least £48 per week, if you are prepared to work for the minimum!

Smart Mart:

Malc44:

Well as you have to allocate 8 hours to an operator, what are you prepared to work an hourly rate for. Minimum wage is nearly £6 per hour - so at least £48 per week, if you are prepared to work for the minimum!

If anyone asked me to be their transport manager for the national minimum wage they wouldn’t have to wait long for an answer, it would be short and not too sweet!!!

Ross.

bigr250:

Smart Mart:

Malc44:

If anyone asked me to be their transport manager for the national minimum wage they wouldn’t have to wait long for an answer, it would be short and not too sweet!!!

Ross.

Nor me. I could get £48 all day long, but I wont, it cost more than that for my duplicate certificate :open_mouth: