Transport managers CPC?

Hi all,

Just wanted to know your thoughts on the Transport managers cpc course/exam I have no knowledge of running a fleet etc I am owner operator of one wagon but I am looking to do the exam so I can upgrade from restricted to standard national O license.

In a nut shell what is the best way to go some have said the David Lowe book is very good ■■ also how hard are the exam modules etc ? and how frequent are the exams is it 4 times a year or can you book one whenever.
Any advice gratefully received :unamused: :unamused:

Hi Bigeasy,
There are 2 ways to do the CPC - home study or classroom based. You say you’re an owner operator so I can only assume that you don’t have the time to spend in a classroom for days on end, home study may be the best option.

I did mine as a home study throught the RHA. The study pack was £160 and the exams were about £100 each, so it was a far cheaper option. I also bought a copy of a David Lowe book off ebay and my boss gave me an FTA yearbook as well. If you choose this option, you need to be disciplined and ensure you make time to work through each module methodically.

If you do a classroom based course they will teach you the best way to pass the exams and what to concentrate on, with home study you are on your own, although the modules that always come up on the case study exam are driver scheduling, vehicle costing and operator licensing.

The multi choice is fairly straightforward, you need 42/60 to pass. The case study is a lot harder, the best advice I can think of is to READ THE QUESTIONS. It sounds obvious but take the time to understand what they are looking for, does the question say list, describe etc etc.

Finally, the exams take place in March, June, September and December. I took mine last December and luckily passed both exams :smiley:

If you need any more info feel free to ask :smiley:

Adam

So you can own a lorry/company without the TM CPC?? I though you needed it to become an operator?

Irish_Lee:
So you can own a lorry/company without the TM CPC?? I though you needed it to become an operator?

You have to nominate a CPC holder on your Operator’s Licence, but it doesn’t have to be you, you can pay somebody else to do it (although I wouldn’t recommend doing that).

Irish_Lee:

You need a CPC holder if you have a standard Licence. You do not need a CPC holder if you have a restricted licence, ie you only carry your own goods, and don’t operate for hire and reward