Transport manager

Hi guys,
After just passing my class 2 and only being 19 I have been told by a friend that I might be better off doing a transport managers job for a couple of years first before going into driving so was just looking for some help and advice, I’v had a quick look on here and on the Internet and found that I need to do “cpc freight national & international” is there any other courses I need to do or is that it, and if anyone has any links to places where I could read more about this would be much appreciated and if you know of places in north Wales where they do this course.

You would be better off finding a driving job being a transport manager is not same as being a driver

JJ192:
You would be better off finding a driving job being a transport manager is not same as being a driver

Yeah I would be better off finding a driving job but the person who told me to go for the transport manager said that with me being 19 most companies wouldn’t employ me because of the no experience and insurance so being a transport manager would give me experience working around trucks and in industry and making me more employable as a driver in year or two’s time than a newly qualified driver who has no experience in the industry which I’m now, and with being a transport manager I could try go out on the odd day with drivers and maybe doing a bit of driving (if I’v got the appropriate licences and cpc) getting bit of driving experience.

MGR1610:
I need to do “cpc freight national & international”

You’d only need the international if the company you worked for went outside the UK. Having said that they’re both fairly intensive courses and whether spending time as a TM would help you get a driving job is very debatable IMO.

MGR1610:
Hi guys,
After just passing my class 2 and only being 19 I have been told by a friend that I might be better off doing a transport managers job for a couple of years first before going into driving so was just looking for some help and advice, I’v had a quick look on here and on the Internet and found that I need to do “cpc freight national & international” is there any other courses I need to do or is that it, and if anyone has any links to places where I could read more about this would be much appreciated and if you know of places in north Wales where they do this course.

You have more chance of getting a C+E job than a TM job many transport managers know sod all about driving a truck but don’t be fooled they are very cleaver and there won’t be much they haven’t seen, also I don’t know any TM’s that have gone out and done their CPC and walked straight into the top job you usually have to work your way up showing you are a competent person at every level starting off at PLEB I mean transport clerk.

I did 5 years of PLEB and got turned down for 2 transport supervisor jobs because of lack of experience. By all means go for it but you will be very lucky to be a TM by the time you are 30 never mind 20.

It might also be worth taking note of all the comments from drivers on this forum about the transport office crew not having a clue.

If you can get your lucky break now you can have your driving career whilst fit and healthy. The transport office is an option if you become tired of a drivers life. You will then have you driving experience to use, to hopefully become a fair TM.

since when did the transport manager need a CPC :open_mouth:

Thanks for the replys, I got the impression that after doing the course I could just walk into a job the next day but wasn’t sure about that so glad I asked here first, so it looks like forgetting about the tm and focusing on getting my c+e and looking for a job is the best option then?

nick2008:

They don’t on a restricted licence.

In honesty, TM is a BIG job with BIG responsibilities.

Not something for a 19 year old. If you think the theory and driving test is hard the TM test is a lot harder.

TM at my place gets woken every hour of every day and with only 11 vehicles really can’t handle the workload.

Not something for someone so new anyway as it’s more of an experience needed type thing.

stagedriver:
In honesty, TM is a BIG job with BIG responsibilities.

Not something for a 19 year old. If you think the theory and driving test is hard the TM test is a lot harder.

TM at my place gets woken every hour of every day and with only 11 vehicles really can’t handle the workload.

Not something for someone so new anyway as it’s more of an experience needed type thing.

I didnt know really too much about what the job involved before I posted this here and didn’t realise how big of a job it actually was but this has defo shown me that it’s probably not something I could do at the moment. Just out of curiosity what are the actual roles of a TM, I know some of the stuf they do but not everything.
Thanks,

nick2008:

Since 1968 when they brought in operator licensing, any company carrying goods for hire and reward needs a nominated transport manager with a CPC

mrpj:

MGR1610:

You’d only need the international if the company you worked for went outside the UK. Having said that they’re both fairly intensive courses and whether spending time as a TM would help you get a driving job is very debatable IMO.

There is only one exam now since it was dumbed down. Harry Monk was probably the last person from here to do the old dual exams.

MGR1610:
Thanks for the replys, I got the impression that after doing the course I could just walk into a job the next day but wasn’t sure about that so glad I asked here first, so it looks like forgetting about the tm and focusing on getting my c+e and looking for a job is the best option then?

To be fair, a transport manager at 19 is not going to instil much confidence in his troops, and will probably struggle to get much work done without being led up the garden path a few times

Wheel Nut:

mrpj:

MGR1610:

There is only one exam now since it was dumbed down. Harry Monk was probably the last person from here to do the old dual exams.

Yes, there’s no such thing as the “CPC National” any more, the new CPC covers both national and international transport.