transport manager

Hi I’m new on here and is my first ever post so a big hello to all my fellow driving buddies, I’ve been driving for nearly 26 years now and done my managers Cpc both in mid 90s ,I keep thinking about buying my own truck someday but never quite seem to make the move as I have pretty good job and when I finish my shift can go home and switch off.I just wondered if anybody could give me any advice on what to do and find work really,at present I am a part time transport manager for a friend who as a couple of grab lorries so I have bit of experience and he’s a good payer always on time so at least I’m using my Cpc.

I’m just wondering whether to forget the whole idea or will it eat me up first, I’m definitely not work shy and always try my best .I’m a clean license holder but have been to a public inquiry only once, I’ve been part time transport manager for 5 years now

good luck with your enterprise. Bear in mind that your 8 hours per week allocated to your TM job will have to be added to your driving-work hours. The working time directive total limit is 48 hours pw.

Why bother? You are only making a job for yourself but you’ll take on a huge liability in the vehicle which needs fuel, Road Tax and Insurance before you even turn a wheel, you’ll need your Operators Licence, liability insurance etc
Then you’ll have to find work and here’s the important bit, you HAVE TO get paid!
At present you finish your shifts and go home without a second thought free from worry about work, in my experience that is worth at least £10-15 thousand a year.
Then you’ll have to deal with HMRC who really don’t like small businesses, HMRC would rather you go and work on PAYE for Stobarts or DHL and save them the bothersome task of chasing all the independent operators, trust me you’ll get no favours from those people.
I ran my own business for twenty years, nothing to do with Road Haulage, in the end I was made bankrupt by HMRC and I nearly buckled under the pressure, made me ill with worry for what?
Stick with my friend, sounds like you’ve got a nice setup as you are.

Euro:
good luck with your enterprise. Bear in mind that your 8 hours per week allocated to your TM job will have to be added to your driving-work hours. The working time directive total limit is 48 hours pw.

Thanks for your reply , I no all about the working time directive,

bigdave789:
Why bother? You are only making a job for yourself but you’ll take on a huge liability in the vehicle which needs fuel, Road Tax and Insurance before you even turn a wheel, you’ll need your Operators Licence, liability insurance etc
Then you’ll have to find work and here’s the important bit, you HAVE TO get paid!
At present you finish your shifts and go home without a second thought free from worry about work, in my experience that is worth at least £10-15 thousand a year.
Then you’ll have to deal with HMRC who really don’t like small businesses, HMRC would rather you go and work on PAYE for Stobarts or DHL and save them the bothersome task of chasing all the independent operators, trust me you’ll get no favours from those people.
I ran my own business for twenty years, nothing to do with Road Haulage, in the end I was made bankrupt by HMRC and I nearly buckled under the pressure, made me ill with worry for what?
Stick with my friend, sounds like you’ve got a nice setup as you are.

Yes I quite agree with you but we all have a,goal in life but sometimes it’s best to stay where we are thanks anyway

Where abouts are you based Nigel?

Mattwoodtransport:
Where abouts are you based Nigel?

I’m based near Norwich unfortunately not the best place to get to but the roads are getting little better

Spend your money on a classic truck for weekend wheel spinning instead ,at least at the end of you will get the same money back .

Dan Punchard:
Spend your money on a classic truck for weekend wheel spinning instead ,at least at the end of you will get the same money back .

Haha what’s classic started on Scanias 142/143 early nineties good idea though