Transmed

One of the first lorries i drove over the water had an old sticker in the screen stating"This driver is covered by Transmed".
Seem too remember they were some kind of medical back up for drivers on Euro work?
Anybody on here unfortunate enough to have to use there services and if so what were they like?

Suedehead:
One of the first lorries i drove over the water had an old sticker in the screen stating"This driver is covered by Transmed".
Seem too remember they were some kind of medical back up for drivers on Euro work?
Anybody on here unfortunate enough to have to use there services and if so what were they like?

I’ve not needed their services, but I seem to remember an oblong (orange??) Transmed windscreen sticker in trucks that I drove on continental work in 1982ish.

It seems that Transmed are still going strong, although their website has some parts that are still under construction:

http://www.transmed.co.uk/

Suedehead:

I never had to use it for repatriation but they did cover some medical bills in Belgium after an accident.

The square stickers have disappeared and they now use something like a tax disc holder. I have a few somewhere. I shall try to find them. I think they used to use the number on the sticker but now they go off the registration number of the vehicle

read about an owner driver who got frost bite in russia,they flew a plane out to bring him back and covered sending someone out to collect his truck,think it was in T&D or trucking quite a few years ago

Cheers for the replies.
“Frostbite in Russia” . . ■■■■ that !! any idea how much the subscriptions cost?
(for Transmed not t+d) :slight_smile:

i phoned them the other day and they are still going strong i think it was less than £100 for a year

hanson:
i phoned them the other day and they are still going strong i think it was less than £100 for a year

That’s not bad actually. Might have a look at that.

in 1998 I was taken ill while on a trip to Baku. I was taken into an oil companies clinic.where i was checked over and diagnosed with pneumonia, they stabilised me and kept me in overnight. the next day I was taken to a local hospital for an Xray, which they were not to happy with.When they found out that I had Transmed insurance , they contacted them in the UK where transmed decided that I should be flown home in an air ambulance. This was all organised for the next day. I was taken by the clinics ex uk army land rover ambulance to Baku airport to meet the private jet plane which was crewed by two pilots a paramedic and an Anaesthetist, who looked after me on the return flight to Cardiff Airport, Via Prague to refuel. There was a private ambulance waiting at cardiff airport to take me to a local hospital.
after getting the all clear about a month later Transmed arranged a flight for me from Cardiff to Baku Via schipol with club class ticket to collect my truck which had been in the oil companies compound. All of this for an annual subscription of £132.00. I could not Praise them High enough. All this took place about a couple of months after they repatriated Alan Kendal from Moscow to Bristol with frostbite to his toes.
Regards Jamie.

transmed.co.uk/

I was in an accident in Spain. All my costs were met by the bosses travel insurance on the business visa card we were all given. It covered all the gear that got left behind in the truck as well as it was wrote off and I flew home with easyjet.

They also do UK coverage now.

Fantastic company I can’t praise them enough, I was in Piraeus in 1997 when I got a call My father was in a bad way within 12 hours I was back in Manchester Airport & got to see Him before He passed away. Transmed also paid for a Driver of My choice to drive the truck back for Me flights the whole shooting match, anyone undertaking work involving any overseas travel is mental not to have it.

Alan Kendal was the driver with frostbite in Moscow, Transmed got him back to Frenchay, lost 10 toes, the American hospital in moscow wanted to remove his legs just below the knees, he didn`t fancy that as he was a short arse with both legs whole !

I could be wrong but having done a short stint for Heritage in Dover i believe all their trucks have a Transmed sticker in the windscreen

In all the years i’ve been in this game, i’ve never heard of them.
I’m getting cover for me and the wife when i go back on european work.

This should be a sticky considering the very positive responses.

limeyphil:
In all the years i’ve been in this game, i’ve never heard of them.
I’m getting cover for me and the wife when i go back on european work.

This should be a sticky considering the very positive responses.

I’m seriously shocked that You’ve never heard of Transmed, I would’nt leave The UK without it.

You can see the Transmed sticker on this picture…

Thats a great pic fly sheet, proper old school long distance truck.

Out of interest how far did you take her??

I was only on middle distance Chap,

Farthest south was Malta, east was Istanbull/Moscow/Kiev north was St Petersburg,

I did a lot of Athens in it too, then up to Bulgaria to load home.

The stopping sealing belly tanks in Dover was the end for Her at 5.5mpg EU fuel wasnt an option & I swapped Her for a nice F10 Globetrotter on a G plate.

fly sheet:
I was only on middle distance Chap,

Farthest south was Malta, east was Istanbull/Moscow/Kiev north was St Petersburg,

I did a lot of Athens in it too, then up to Bulgaria to load home.

The stopping sealing belly tanks in Dover was the end for Her at 5.5mpg EU fuel wasnt an option & I swapped Her for a nice F10 Globetrotter on a G plate.

Good ol days.