Transeuropa Ferry to Oostende

Hi, I have a quick question, as I am looking for a ferry booking for my trip home for Christmas. I just found that this Ferry will cost me a quid more than Dover - Callais one, but it takes 4 hours to cross… This is handy, as I usually have to get some snooze in the car arround Antwerp, and I thought that it might be a good idea to use that ferry instead and take some sleep there in better conditions.

My question is: Do they have some conditions to get some sleep on that ferry? I found some old posts where someone was telling that you have actually a cabin - is that aplly also to car drivers on such a short crossing? Or if not, are they some places like quiet longue with reclining chairs etc?

Yes you get a cabin on that crossing , facilities are limited but sufficient , but not sure if it takes cars , thought it was a freight only ship !!!

young trucker:
Yes you get a cabin on that crossing , facilities are limited but sufficient , but not sure if it takes cars , thought it was a freight only ship !!!

That’s what I thought and never checked it before, but aferry.co.uk gave me that option.

According to their website:

In order to maintain our reputation for quality service and attention to the needs of our guests we only carry passengers traveling in vehicles. This means you can be sure of a comfortable seat in peaceful surroundings.

Take the time to relax and savour the beginning of your break during the unhurried crossing between our dedicated terminals.

Enjoy Belgian, English or Italian cuisine in the a la carte restaurant, or enjoy a light meal in the family areas.

Watch movies, taste wine or cognac from our unique range or just book a cabin for an even quieter crossing.

Your holiday starts from the moment you contact us!

And also, in other place:

Your holiday starts when you board the vessel and allows you to unwind in congenial and friendly surroundings and enjoy a relaxed crossing.

Why not try a mini cruise experience taking your car with you!

so I guess yes…

Just googled: Not all crossing are taking cars, but some do.

For a car driver a cabin cost 20 quids, but as you are saving about 100 miles of driving if you go east, you saves on fuel, so that gives you a few quid for a good sleep.

I’ll go for it, I think.

Orys, if you are still in Glasgow, wouldn’t Rosyth-Zeebrugge be a better option?

sure they take cars; they also have cabins and a sizeable seating area where you can stretch, not like those calais-dover ferries where you have to snooze in a cafe or restaurant. I cannt recall if the seats recline though…
you can also book through their website, www.transeuropaferries.com. port facilities on both sides poor to non-existent, on-board OK. I cann’t help myself but I feel warmer on TE than on the dover ferries.
TE fares are also rather stable compared to p&o, seafrance or norfolkline which is great for Christmas time crossings.
Harwich, Hull or any other long routes are prohibitively expensive compared to Dover/Ramsgate services.

Harry Monk:
Orys, if you are still in Glasgow, wouldn’t Rosyth-Zeebrugge be a better option?

No, as for the money I spend for that route, I can have fuel all the way to Poland and back :stuck_out_tongue:

HomoFaber:
sure they take cars; they also have cabins and a sizeable seating area where you can stretch, not like those calais-dover ferries where you have to snooze in a cafe or restaurant. I cannt recall if the seats recline though…
you can also book through their website, transeuropaferries.com. port facilities on both sides poor to non-existent, on-board OK. I cann’t help myself but I feel warmer on TE than on the dover ferries.
TE fares are also rather stable compared to p&o, seafrance or norfolkline which is great for Christmas time crossings.
Harwich, Hull or any other long routes are prohibitively expensive compared to Dover/Ramsgate services.

Thanks for all the info, very useful!

Edited: Just booked. If you use their own website is over 5 quids cheaper than the same ticket on aferry. And it’s the same price as Norfolkline Dover-Dunquerque, but the payment is clear, so you don’t have any “fuel surcharges” nor “credit card payments” which makes it 45 compared to 49 total in Norfolkline.

orys:

Harry Monk:

No, as for the money I spend for that route, I can have fuel all the way to Poland and back :stuck_out_tongue:

And with the weather we’ve been having, you could probably also drive all the way to Poland and back (in the time a crossing takes). :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

OK, there may be a slight exaggeration there, but Norfolk Lines Rosyth - Zeebrugge is dog slow.
The Superfast used to disembark at about 11 am, Norfolk Line it’s around 2 pm.

Simon:
And with the weather we’ve been having, you could probably also drive all the way to Poland and back (in the time a crossing takes). :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

…without puking every 5 minutes :smiley: