Trans UK pics TOPRUN

Great collection of pic`s posted on TOPRUN

toprun.ch/truck/09-2006/TransUK_1/

Many Thanks for getting them on there Keith for us all to see.

Cheers

thanks KIETH; NIANIAMH;and top-run,forthe great
photos, brilliant,fantastic, ta very much

excellent

These are excellent. The first lot are particularly interesting. The one with the Fiat 170 backed up to the big, black hangar - I could swear that was Rattlesden Airfield. This is still used a lot for storage etc.

chorcheela:
These are excellent. The first lot are particularly interesting. The one with the Fiat 170 backed up to the big, black hangar - I could swear that was Rattlesden Airfield. This is still used a lot for storage etc.

Looks like one of the old hangers that was at Martlesham, were tesco’s is now, Keith would be able to confirm it though, brought back memorys pics of all the gear laid out at the Capel yard on auction day, thanks for passin em on to toprun Keith.
Steve

Really great pictures, thanks to all that supplied them I,m sure they,ll bring a lot of memories back to a lot of people.regards derek

Great pictures,must have been something back in the day.Proper truck driving :sunglasses: .Who was the athelete crossing the finish line on the telly.Was it David Bedford?

Hi Keith
Great collection of trans uk pics. great pic of bob (at least he was nt in his argos truck)Hope you got some more there. If i ever get round to it i will see if jordy’s wife has any i’m pretty sure she did which i will post if i can.Surely you must have one of freds furry clogs though i thought they were legendary.

aidey:
Hi Keith
Great collection of trans uk pics. great pic of bob (at least he was nt in his argos truck)Hope you got some more there. If i ever get round to it i will see if jordy’s wife has any i’m pretty sure she did which i will post if i can.Surely you must have one of freds furry clogs though i thought they were legendary.

Come to think of it,I’m sure Fred was wearing them at the reunion :confused:

I’d be grateful if you can ask Jordy’s wife has any pics,I’m trying to get as many together as I can.

If i remember the hangres at martlesham belonged to Archabold and young ,Ancnhor Euro who i worked for rented part of the hanger at the back always told they were haunted by amarican air crews who were based there during WW2 !!

andy c I once went to Swiss to start a fill-in job. The truck was being repaired in Germany ,Frieburg area. It was 1800 on a Winters evening & the boss ,a German guy , took me to the truck from Basel in his car. When I got there it was a disused wartime airfield. & the truck was being worked on in one of the hangers. They had oval roofs and were camouflaged with grass. It was badly lit in the hangar & the lads were working on the truck with an oxyacetylene welder kit . The truck had a huge skull & cross bones on the air foil & was a real dog. The whole image was wrong for me. It reminded me of war films where they are getting the bombers ready for their next raid. Cut the story short ,I made my excuses & left.But I know what you mean about ghosts… :laughing:

The pic of the trucks backed up to the hanger were taken opposite boomers cafe at Felixstowe dock just before we were due to ship out on our first Middle East trip May 1975 I believe

I took a test

PROWLANDS:
The pic of the trucks backed up to the hanger were taken opposite boomers cafe at Felixstowe dock just before we were due to ship out on our first Middle East trip May 1975 I believe

I took a test

good to see your on here paul!

Hello Mattie, I presume that’s you ?,
interesting blogs. Is aidey talking about grumbly grimble’s clogs!, If so great bloke, heart of gold, took him down on his first trip, Tabriz I think, could’nt have stayed closer to me if he’d been sitting on my lap. Interesting trip back. had to tow him on bar from refahiye through to spielfeld. Long trip,long load.
Best paul

Oh yes thats who i was talking about . You must rember Jordy who drove for T.U.k He was my uncle and i spent many hours around the yard and on trips with him before i was old enough to drive myself. Another one you would rember woul;d be peter Ransome still around somwhere doing a bit.

is that pete the perv ransome who got banged up for tachos and driving without a licence then came out and got caught again

That’s outrageous to talk about Pete like that!!!, there is a pic or two of him in the Toprun tuk site, stuffing his face with a sandwich in Romania.
Yes Aidey I new Jordy well Played a bit of guitar did’nt he? a really nice bloke, and popular with everyone, a good bloke to have as an uncle I should think, last I saw I think he was on searle’s, might be wrong.

last i know peter ransome was working for romantieks, so i dont know where he is now as they fortunatly no longer trade

p.s yes paul, it is me!!

Hello young Matthew,
No work then, no aged rockers playing abroad!! What was Romantiek called before they became Romantiek, began with B ? did it. Very Intereting site, certainly moved some of my rusty old memory sticks. Pete was a bit of a loner really, not a good socializer, in the early days of TUK he ran with Steve (Hercules) quite a bit, can’t remember his surname, but eventually they sort of fell out. In those Tuk photosof the 4trucks in romania with Pete stuffing his face, I’d broken down near Sebes, water pump seized. Steve towed me to Sibiu, it was about -15C. We found a hotel in the town, ‘that was another story’ communism was at it’s most oppressive. anyway Pete wasn’t for hanging about, costing him money. so he persuaded Steve to go on with him and poor old Taffy ‘rest his sole’ stayed with me. it took 2 weeks for the parts to be sent out in a diplomatic bag to the British embassy in Bucharest and poor old Taff had to keep running me back and forward to Bucharest in the middle of winter in his unit, snow chains on snow chains off, snow chains on snow chains off. Eventually we were up and running, I think it was summertime !!!
All the best Paul

Hi prowlands no he played drums not guitar but your on the right lines yes he did work for searle up untill he died a few years ago now. He was a good bloke all round and still missed.