Trans Arabia /S. Jones of Aldridge:A few pics

jsutherland:

ronhawk:
G, Day G,Day Backsplice just watching you country men taking on the Irish at Murrayfield 1/2 time 10. — 12 to the greens While waiting for my birthday celebrations to begin , thanks for your topic But unable to get the information you put on !! Photos ■■ But in the mean time hope you do well !!!

Happy birthday Ron. Looks like your having a good day [emoji16][emoji16]
Cheers
Johnny

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Thanks Johnny , looking forward to the celebrations , looks like the Irish are getting stronger . 13 – 22 thats full time

Happy Birthday Sadiq … hope i don,t get into strife but I downloaded the images for you …hope I don,t end up in the calaboosh …by the way caught up with a SARAMAT mucker of mine on Skype …hoping to exchange some piccys… these T/A images are from photobucket so assume they will be ok

also just for luck one of a Mandator from my humble beginnings… oops!!! ( I deleted that as saw it was copyrighted )

TRANSA004.jpg

TRANSA049a.jpg

How refreshing to look back at a genuine hard working lad Gogi RIP

G day Backsplice , your photos ■■ I can’t understand how the photos you have found ? Have been disfigured ■■? Ron

Stuffed if I know Ronnie …they were on another thread and I think that Photobucket is some website that people post on …anyway how are you going ■■? its been nearly as hot as Jeddah down here the last few weeks !!!

backsplice:
Stuffed if I know Ronnie …they were on another thread and I think that Photobucket is some website that people post on …anyway how are you going ■■? its been nearly as hot as Jeddah down here the last few weeks !!!

A night to remember Ron

Ah Ronnie my boy …it was adventures in Paradise under the desert sky… keep em’ comin

The morel of this story is ? A man from the West should never take a man from the Far East driving in the Middle East in an old ERF

The Jake brake switched on for the descent of Taif 1-1/2 hrs all down hill

Ta-if Ron …Remember my first trip 20ft box for Ras Tanura loaded to the roof with scaffolding pipes 20 ton I don,t think so more like 30 !!! anyway the f89 was more than able Ha! ha!anyway I remember at that time there was a bit of a curfew going up and trucks had to wait a while… but must say you can,t forget what it was like …I suppose its a lot more modern these days… Ron just looked closer our photos are of the same spot ■■?

G/ Day Backsplice , that could be you ?

It has now been modanised but only for cars ,Backplice

image.jpg

Well ron what do they do now take the Christian bypass round Medina when heading to Riyahd ■■?.. heres a couple from the good old days

img363.jpg

I like your humour Backsplice ,that F 89 looks like a Rock ? At first I thought the cracked windscreen was the rd

Ron …Salam Alykhum …here,s another couple for you

backsplice:

Morning all
Interesting pictures of the Taif mountain road - if my memory is correct their was an alternative road to Taif - you turned left around kilo 26/28 Mecca Road and their was a series of roads and rough tracks that took you up onto the Taif/Riyadh road - most of the Tonkas used thus route - I think the lads only used it a couple of times. I think this forms part of the new Jeddah to Riyadh dual/triple carriageway.

Have you seen the videos on You Tube of the Abha to Jizan road!! Also the Najran to Jizan Road.

I first went up the Jizan to Abha road when it was being constructed - the road was closed from 08.00 till 17.00 with all awaiting vehicles being parked up in a parking lot - we got there about 11am, virtually not vehicles waiting but gradually filled up, so by 5pm it was rammed full - you can imagine the race when the barrier was lifted - hell. That picture on the TA site of a Local tribesman holding a falcon was taken in that car park whilst he was resting.
I had Michael Jones and David Hughes with me.

Very interesting - Ron that mine site at Almasame is now fully operational and is shipping ore down to Jizan for the export - all the roads appear to have been upgraded.

Cheers

Ken

Kenb:

backsplice:

Morning all
Interesting pictures of the Taif mountain road - if my memory is correct their was an alternative road to Taif - you turned left around kilo 26/28 Mecca Road and their was a series of roads and rough tracks that took you up onto the Taif/Riyadh road - most of the Tonkas used thus route - I think the lads only used it a couple of times. I think this forms part of the new Jeddah to Riyadh dual/triple carriageway.

Have you seen the videos on You Tube of the Abha to Jizan road!! Also the Najran to Jizan Road.

I first went up the Jizan to Abha road when it was being constructed - the road was closed from 08.00 till 17.00 with all awaiting vehicles being parked up in a parking lot - we got there about 11am, virtually not vehicles waiting but gradually filled up, so by 5pm it was rammed full - you can imagine the race when the barrier was lifted - hell. That picture on the TA site of a Local tribesman holding a falcon was taken in that car park whilst he was resting.

How did you get to Jizan, Ken? Was there a coast road from Jeddah?

I only went to Jizan once, with a load from Dammam. Turn left at Taif and wind up and down the switchbacks of the Asir, then wait at the gate to go down Abha mountain. This would be around 1980 and they were building the road from the bottom up. I had a large stone lodged between 2 trailer tyres and I spent the time loosening the wheels and prising the rock out. I was first in the queue and when they opened it, at 4.00pm I think, I went 20 yards or so to be confronted with a 2 mile drop straight down in front of me and a right hand turn on the unmade road carved out of the side of the mountain! If I’d had any way of turning round I would have. I was scared ****less, and the Asir had been no place for the faint hearted! As soon as I turned I was overtaken by every lunatic behind me, at least there was nothing coming the other way at this point. At one wider point I was overtaken by a car with a young boy hanging out of the back window, a long stream of projectile vomit coming from him.

If you looked over the terrifying edge, there were cars and lorries, scrap now, resting where they had landed. It was easy to look over the edge, my MAN was left hand drive.

At one point it was so narrow that the outer trailer tyres were hanging in the air.

Eventually I went through a tunnel and emerged onto a newly built, totally unfrightening road.

Coming back wasn’t anything like as scary. I was empty and also now sitting on the side away from the drop!

John.

Ken after reading your post I got to thinking that I do remember another route as you said with a lot of dirt …I had to follow one of our blokes who had done it before it was a bit hairy to say the least I think it was a time when Ta-if was closed at certain times whether maintenance or accidents I can,t recall but anyway when it was open …my usual plan was leave Jeddah about 3.00/4.00 head up and get up to the top before it got really hot then have a cuppa and a couple of cream crackers with Kraft spreading cheese 40 winks and then hit Riyahd at night park up at the intercontinental hotel you could always meet up with somebody there …the little supermarket was run by a couple of Egyptian Brothers who would contact the delivery point and get them to send out a guide (very handy ) of course the reciprocal was to stock up on provisions there …I enjoyed my time there but that was then it was a little bit pioneering I( don,t think it will be anything like the 70,s/80,s )

Bukrah inshalah

Some great photos and stories on this thread. That climb up that mountain must have been hard on the motors with the weight and heat !
Keep the pics coming !