Tramping .

Hi ive been driving nights for two years now & im about to do my first tramping job , any tips would be grateful :smiley:

Plenty of advice will be offered (and has previously been detailed) here, but one sure fire way to find out what ‘extras’ you need is the ‘hard way’; do it for a few weeks - you don’t forget a second time when you’ve missed something you wish you had packed!!

All the best with your venture.

My advice would be not to scrimp on taking whatever you need to turn your truck into a home. I used to carry a small mobile library with me, as well as loads of CDs (this was in the pre- Kindle/ipod age!) and a guitar. And a bike, sometimes, if I thought I was going to get time to go for a ride in the evening. And cooking stuff, as well as a small fridge, a proper coffee machine and all the usual stuff like clean clothes for a week, and toiletries.
A lot depends on what they’ve given you to drive and how much space there is in it. I tramped for a while in a low roof DAF 85 and I couldn’t have taken half this stuff in that.

This thread has some good tips on what to take:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=37297

I also liked to carry a gas stove (store outside cab if possible) and an emergency kit for worst case scenario i.e. winters coming and you’ve lost all electrics and stuck on Shap in a blizzard.

Hard to be totally prepared so keep an ongoing list of what you need and when an opportunity arrises pop in a supermarket or if you know your going to be home one weekend order it online.

Also try and logically store everything in your cab so you know where it is and keep it clean, spilt milk don’t half hum after a few weeks.

A list of good truckstops and ones youve used is ideal and add your own notes as well.

Oh and you will find wetwipes are your best friend :wink:

Toilet roll.

Make sure you get yourself a bottle to have a pee in■■?
“Wet wipes for that relaxing wash after a hard days graft” :smiley: :smiley: