Tramping ???

What roughly do you do in a week from start to finish and also does daily and weekly driving hours work out good .Anybody care to give a quick example
Example
9 am start
13.30 45 minute break
drive 4.5

Daily rest then what from here ■■?

alza1988:
Daily rest then what from here ■■?

repeat as necessary :slight_smile:

dream on that shift will never happen lol :smiley:

danj:

I leave home bout 3-4 am mon morn, get back Friday afternoon- Saturday morning… That’s tramping mate, week in week out!

9-6 is part time :smiley:.

Try starting at 6am and finishing anywhere between 7 and 9 depending on if you have full or reduced rests.

Tonight I am on a full 11 hour rest but last night I pulled the card at 9pm from starting at 6am.

Tramping is great if you can prioritise your time and enjoy long hours out in the lorry.

Thereal-john:

danj:

I leave home bout 3-4 am mon morn, get back Friday afternoon- Saturday morning… That’s tramping mate, week in week out!

+1.

Thought I was reading my own post there

dar1976:
9-6 is part time :smiley:.

Try starting at 6am and finishing anywhere between 7 and 9 depending on if you have full or reduced rests.

Tonight I am on a full 11 hour rest but last night I pulled the card at 9pm from starting at 6am.

Tramping is great if you can prioritise your time and enjoy long hours out in the lorry.

If your only allowed to drive 9 hrs daily extended to 10 twice how is that possible ■■

Because driving a truck is not all just driving, there is quite a lot of “other work.”
i.e. Waiting to get loaded, assisting to get loaded, strapping, closing & buckling curtains, doing paper work, waiting to get tipped, unstrapping, etc. etc. etc.

Driveroneuk:
Because driving a truck is not all just driving, there is quite a lot of “other work.”
i.e. Waiting to get loaded, assisting to get loaded, strapping, closing & buckling curtains, doing paper work, waiting to get tipped, unstrapping, etc. etc. etc.

So you just put the tacho on work ? Is that completely legal with driving hours then ?

Basically yes, it then records driving time automatically when the truck moves.
Change the mode to break when you are going to take a (surprise!!!)… break.
Change it to rest when you are going to take daily or weekly rest.

Typing “how does a tachograph work” into Google brings up 110,000 results!

Driveroneuk:

Or you could do boxes (containers) and have none of the other work, just driving and a shed load of sitting around :wink:

Yep, lets all form that orderly que at 3am. Thats tramping allright :wink:

I’ve tramped. Never once started at 3 & never will. Think I once did a 05.30. Somewhere between 6.30 - 7.30 is good. :smiley:

alza1988:

So you just put the tacho on work ? Is that completely legal with driving hours then ?

[/quote]
get in Trafford park 00:01 - 01:00 Monday morning one week tramping see the mrs and bin lids Friday afternoon, next week Saturday afternoon! 71 hrs week one, second week 84 hrs! Easy as pal! No drink, drugs or redbull for me! :grimacing: I ain’t cab happy/ polish just a mad manc earning a crust! Piece of p1$$! :laughing: :sunglasses: :grimacing: :grimacing:

If you are going to be away from home from 9am day one to 6pm day 4 and only 8 hours a day of it is paid, then you’re onto a loser. 105 hours of your time wasted for only 32 hours of paid hours? - Bugger the night out allowances, I’d have to get a free car thrown in to make that pay!

Sorry bud, being paid for as many hours I’m away from home as possible is what rings my bell. I don’t often get it, but it absolutely rocks when I do! :grimacing:

Based on the same 9am start monday, this would therefore be as follows:

Monday: 9am-Midnight
Tuesday: 9am-8pm
Wednesday: 7am-10pm
Thursday: 7am-any old finish time required, as you’re back at the start depot at the end of this shift right? Let’s say 10pm for the sake of the “max out” argument.

If you’ve done this on an agency that pays poa, and deducts an hour for meal reliefs, then on Monday you’re getting 14 hours pay, Tuesday 12 hours, Wednesday 14 hours, and Thursday 14 hours IF you max out on last day.
That’s a 54 hour paid week, which obviously you then want to be at the highest through-rate possible and not something near minimum wage or dollied-up by fancy schemes that see it increasing after “so many hours with a vowel in them” and other such bullcrap plans only there to entrap the unwary!

The tax-free elements of tramper pay make this still rather mediocre base wage of £540 even @ £10ph worth it’s while. It’s not likely you’ll be driving over 48 hours per week, so you could also do this job week in and week out, 3 days off per week, albeit not much scope for overtime. :sunglasses:

If you get 4x£25 night outs, you’re going to end up taking home about £500pw which isn’t too bad all in all, bearing in mind the 4 day week aspect as well. Jobs like that tend to fly out the door by word of mouth however, and rarely last long when advertised!

cant believe the op thinks you start at 9am and finish at 6pm as a tramper wow!

war1974:
cant believe the op thinks you start at 9am and finish at 6pm as a tramper wow!

I can have days like that as a tramper, the quicker I can get them 9s and 10s in, the better.
If it takes me 15 hours to 9 hrs drivin, ive had a crap day!!!

alza1988:

Driveroneuk:

Yes. The legal maximum duty period per day is 13hrs which can be extended to 15hrs three times a week. The duty period consists of driving, non-driving work and driving/WTD breaks but not daily rest. So you can start at 6am, drive til 10.45am, take a 45 minute break, do another 4.5hrs driving, take another break and then do non-driving work such as loading/unloading until 7pm or 9pm if taking a reduced daily rest.

If your going to bugger off and leave loved ones for 5-6 days a week, then to make it worth it you need to max out your wages (therefore hours).

To do this you need to really carefully study the tacho regs until you understand them, even then keep a hard copy with you to refer to because they are complicated, you almost certainly will need to refer to them a few times a week to begin with.

When you have a good understanding of the rules and are able to to confidently tell planners what you can and cant do, and offer better plans to them to be able to maximise your working hours, then you will be quids in with tramping, and not before.

There are a lot of very “experienced” drivers out there who have no idea at all of the regs, just look on this forum and you’ll find a fair few. :unamused:

In a nutshell, you wont see your children grow up and you do 2 weeks work for 1 weeks pay.

I do shorthaul Euro tramping.
This week was fairly typical, it went :-
Sun - 0730 start, down to the ferry port, 1600 finish, 6.00 hrs driving
Mon - 0700 start, a drop near Saarbrucken, a drop near Mulhouse, parked up on the Swiss border 2100 finish, 10.00 hrs drive.
Tues - 0600 start, 2 drops near Zurich, 1 drop Bern, 1 drop Geneve, 2 collections Basel, parked up in Germany 5 mins from my last collection, 2000 finish, 8.30 drive.
Wed - 0600 start (0700 local) 1 collection in the middle of nowhere between Strassburg and Karlsruhe, up to Rotterdam for the ferry. 1800 finish, 8.30 drive.
Thur - 0745 start, an hour to get out of the ferry port, a drop near Doncaster, a drop near Durham, a drop in Glasgow, back to the yard. 1830 finish, 8.30 drive.
Weekend off consisting of Fri and Sat, start again Sunday morning.

For Euro tramping this was an easy week, I frequently push my driving and shift times much closer to the limits. I did well over 3100 km this week which is fairly normal.
I work for a pretty good company. We don’t get hassled, the gear is good and well maintained, the work is ok and suits me with its variety. Most drops/collections are repeats and known to us (after a while, I’ve got well over 700 addresses in my database), so we know where to go at the drop and who to look for, which saves a lot of time.
Timings are a bit rough and not exact, I don’t have my work diary with me. Places are mainly just a rough guide too, to give you a flavour of my job.