Tramping with a digital tacho

I’m sure I’m going to get asked this over the next few weeks…

When staying overnight away from base, do you finish off the shift at the end of each day and take your card out, or just switch it over to rest and leave it in recording?

I’m assuming that you leave it in, but what do you do to record your finish location (country) at the end of each day?

always take mine out, you could leave it in but if you forget to change mode[ put on rest/bed] then when you wake up in morn youll have 8hrs on other work [ cross hammers ] :blush: as after a few mins it automatically goes on to other work and stays on it .safer to take out i.m.h.o

other point being if like me you wake up after 7 hrs and dont leave for a couple of hours you can go and get a breakfast with your card safely in your wallet on you not left in your truck,just my thoughts

I leave mine in all week.

I take extra care to ensure I switch over to rest when I park up in the evening.

I think you’ll find that you can set the “end country” without withdrawing the card, from the standard window press “OK” then scroll down the menu until you reach “entry driver 1” press “OK” and you should be in the country setting mode, I’ve never had to do this but I assume that as you’ve already set the “begin country” you would go straight to “end country” (could be wrong though :wink: )

I always leave the card in the tacho when away overnight. You’ll soon get the hang of entering country of duty start and end on the VDO it’s as ‘Tachograph’ says, slightly different on the Stoneridge and Actia. Don’t forget to set mode for driver to ‘rest.’ The VU will default to the country last selected so long as you stop in the UK it’s easy, but then it’s not hard selecting the other countries.
As you cannot get the card out of the VU without the ignition being switched on, reckon that the card is safer there than in my wallet or loose in the cab.