Tramping... what to expect

Not be mentioned yet but check Just Eat etc. if parked up in an unfamiliar area.

Either you can find somewhere to walk to to fetch it or if its ■■■■■■■ down get it delivered to truck.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Been out since Monday morning and so far so good. Been in the south (I’m based in West Yorkshire). Been sleeping well. Not getting cabin fever. Missing TV a bit and I’ve no way heating food yet so I’ve had to use my imagination as to where to park to eat OK. Found a couple of gems already. As it’s agency work at the moment I’ll make do but I intend to get a 12v microwave oven probably so at least I can solve that issue. And being vertically challenged chap I can stand up in the cab with is a plus. I’m hoping there might be a permanent job there as the work is some of the easiest I’ve done. The office haven’t called me once and I’ve done all my drops now. Heading north in the morning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danbabirecki:
Been out since Monday morning and so far so good. Been in the south (I’m based in West Yorkshire). Been sleeping well. Not getting cabin fever. Missing TV a bit and I’ve no way heating food yet so I’ve had to use my imagination as to where to park to eat OK. Found a couple of gems already. As it’s agency work at the moment I’ll make do but I intend to get a 12v microwave oven probably so at least I can solve that issue. And being vertically challenged chap I can stand up in the cab with is a plus. I’m hoping there might be a permanent job there as the work is some of the easiest I’ve done. The office haven’t called me once and I’ve done all my drops now. Heading north in the morning

Tbh mate any 12v microwaves I’ve seen have been a pile of cack, and afaik they’ve stopped making the 24v ones also.
Best to buy a decent inverter (capable of carrying a microwave obviously) and a reasonable priced household m.w. from Asda.
You will also be able to run your tv off it.
Job sounds ok mate, hope it goes ok for you with a permanent job with them.

If your a tramper you’ve got to live like a sewer rat in some lay-by somewhere all week

pot noodles,pies,chippy teas,kebabs,pizza,chinkys,food of the gods,not forgetting a scrub twice a week with a couple of wetwipes just to keep your klakkerbags smelling sweet.
if your out for a week then you only need the one pair of skiddies.
2 days normal,2 days back to front,and 2 days inside out. then get the misses to take a hammer to them on your day off…job done.
its best to use them to wipe the crumbs from the dash first,no sense in being extravegant.
rocking yourself to sleep like a baby in a cradle from the wash off of the trucks missing your mirrors by mere inches…
the only interruptions are from gays,doggers,and junkie prozzies battering at your door all through the night with the added bonus of a visit from the diesel faries,taliban doing your curtains,or someone smashing in your back doors.
living the dream my good man,thats why nobody likes tramping because conditions are so bad… :slight_smile:

Flip flops! Cos you really dont want to be walking barefoot in the soup that is a public shower.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

DickyNick:
If your a tramper you’ve got to live like a sewer rat in some lay-by somewhere all week

That statement isn’t exactly true though is it ? If you’re a tramper and you live like a sewer rat, then that’s because you can’t be arsed to live any other way.
I’m a tramper and I’m far from being a sewer rat, for the past 4 years ( apart from a 2 month stint away from driving ) I’ve been away living in the truck for 3 - 4 weeks at a time, my longest being 6, I take plenty of clean gear, and if I get the chance ( which I often do ) I’ll use a laundrette, I eat well sometimes in restaurants but I don’t shy away from cooking up a meal with fresh ingredients at the side of the truck, I don’t park in lay-by’s or industrial estates if I can help it, and if I do it’s only when I’m in the U.K. and even then I’ll call in to a services or truckstop to use their facilities I don’t ■■■■ in bottles and launch them into the hedgerow and I don’t crap in the grass verges, I shower at least once a day, my rubbish I put in a carrier until I am able to dispose of it properly and my cab is clean and tidy. I’ve a 20” colour tv / DVD player and did have satellite but was a pain setting it up, and only worked in France, Belgium and a bit of Holland.
Like all aspects of haulage it’s what you make of it.

Well all in all it was a successful week. Showered every day. Slept well and ate well but look forward to when I can cook for myself when I get a tramping job permanently (as in I can buy a microwave or hot plate). Didn’t stay in a lay-by but not permitted by company anyway. Didn’t stay in any truck stops as there either were none near where I wanted to be for next day or they were full. I had hoped it would be a positive experience and it was better than that by some margin. I appreciate it’s only been my first week but come Monday I’ll be ready to do it all again. By the way… I only had chips once and no cooked breakfasts at all. The Wimpy in Bicester was mighty tempting but I resisted its tasty clutches

cgscott:

edd1974:
And your also need these

What if he drives an merc?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
he will deffo need one then…not forgetting the scania bomber jacket

I was sat in the sun last night in a beer garden in a pub in Devon, after having a shower, and changed, with a t.shirt and a pair of shorts and shades (looking like a bad tourist :smiley: ) after having a bloody good meal and relaxing with a pint. :sunglasses:
I just got to thinking ‘‘This job is a lot better than many after all’’. …got it sussed. :sunglasses:

■■■■■■■■ to sitting in a ■■■■ lay by all night like some of you lot, with yer pot noodles, like a demented ■■■■ hermit waiting for the next 15 hour teararse to start. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: …nah not for me.

So I did a couple of weeks with one agency of tramping and I’m now doing some more agency tramping. It’s all good. Finding some decent spots to park up (current company don’t favour truckstops for cost reasons) but I’m figuring it out. Films on iPad and books are invaluable for me. All the suggestions of plenty of baby wipes is more than spot on although it was lovely to get a proper wash this evening as getting regular showers in this current job is proving tricky due to workload. Not complaining but it’s a choice of stopping for a shower and then finding a place to park up or just parking up and using multiple wipes. Current work can get quite grimly but ample wipes goes a long way.

Sure your aware.
But most motorway services have shower and are free of charge.
Just ask at wh Smith for a key.
There not the best but do the job.
Best place for a shower I fin is red lion truckstop just off j16 m1 .costs 2 I think but worth it. Cubicles are clean roomy showers are hot and powerfull

danbabirecki:
So I did a couple of weeks with one agency of tramping and I’m now doing some more agency tramping. It’s all good. Finding some decent spots to park up (current company don’t favour truckstops for cost reasons) but I’m figuring it out. Films on iPad and books are invaluable for me. All the suggestions of plenty of baby wipes is more than spot on although it was lovely to get a proper wash this evening as getting regular showers in this current job is proving tricky due to workload. Not complaining but it’s a choice of stopping for a shower and then finding a place to park up or just parking up and using multiple wipes. Current work can get quite grimly but ample wipes goes a long way.

I just make time for a shower whatever the workload, I also tend to plan my day round where to stay at a decent park up for a night out.
Get your priorities right mate :wink: :laughing:
It makes for a better quality of life/job.
If you’re workload is preventing you doing basic human activities like washing and/or eating properly, you are being pushed.
Wet wipes are for hand cleaning and washing in one off dire emergencies.
Your boss sure as hell showers and eats properly before he goes to bed, …what’s good for one etc etc. :bulb:
Listen to me or take no notice and carry on…up to you.

robroy:

danbabirecki:

I just make time for a shower whatever the workload, I also tend to plan my day round where to stay at a decent park up for a night out.
Get your priorities right mate :wink: :laughing:
It makes for a better quality of life/job.
If you’re workload is preventing you doing basic human activities like washing and/or eating properly, you are being pushed.
Wet wipes are for hand cleaning and washing in one off dire emergencies.
Your boss sure as hell showers and eats properly before he goes to bed, …what’s good for one etc etc. :bulb:
Listen to me or take no notice and carry on…up to you.

I’m the same as Robroy planning the day around my shower and where to park. I can never understand drivers who moan that they have not had a shower for three days. A bit of forward thinking makes tramping a whole lot easier. Wet wipes are there for severe emergencies.
When I first started tramping my initial fears were whereto park,where to eat, and more importantly, where to shower! Use leisure centres, (make sure you got your pool shorts and flip flops, don’t want to get arrested for anything) there are centres where you can park a wagon nearby for example Chichester, Birtley, Stratford or Poole or Hexham.
Listen to Robroy or take no notice and carry on…up to you!