Tramping... what to expect

When I first started tramping I had the basics for months, sleeping bag, small camping cooker and a peak stove, 10ltr jerrycan of water, enough tinned food / ready meals to last me the week, pot noodles, pan, kettle and eating irons, cup, and an ever growing pile of A to Z’s, all stacked in the passenger footwell and my clean kit in a hold-all on top.
There’s no definitive list of what to take and what not, each driver will have his / her own kit list.
You’ll start to ditch gear you have no use for and collecting useful stuff as you go along, try not to clutter up your cab, nothing worse than looking for gear you know you have but can’t find it for gear you don’t use.
One of the best home comforts I found was taking a bowl and sponge, if you end up miles from anywhere you can always warm a bit of water and get a quick wash, not the same as grabbing a shower but you don’t have to get in your scratcher minging.

If you use tablets for games and tv

And for anyone out there

3 are doing unlimited internet calls txts deal for £20 a month.
Although it’s SIM only and think it’s a 2 year contract.
But if watch lot.of.tv be worth it

What drugs are some of these people on? Maoster and Robroy have always got the right answers!

A tool kit? Any problems with the motor and it’s ring it in to your office, let them make the decision on what to do, how to fix it is not your problem!

Truck stop to fill a flask? Ask for the kettle at drops/collections. Providing you’re not a knob customer’s will oblige, even be brazen enough to ask if they have got a shower you can use.

Get on SNAP! No, that creates problems for yourself.
So you are around Rhyl at teatime and can not do the next drop in Bangor until tomorrow morning, what now? Head back towards Chester area for the SNAP parking there (is there any?) or head over towards Bangor or even head to the Roadking at Holyhead? My choice would be find the leisure in Rhyl or nip into Llandudno for a quick shower (another piece of vital kit, swimming shorts) and then to Caernarvon lorry and coach park. Chinese over the road via Morrisons car park. Not wasted a load of time and diesel running back to Chester or Holyhead, more or less on the doorstep for Bangor in the morning for a brew and a wash before they start and another brew as you’re leaving. That’s just an example of what I would do, any other suggestions?

Earplugs for noisy lay-bys? That’s a big NO WAY. Getting rocked about all night be passing traffic waiting for nine hours to be up to drop straight back into the driving seat and off…

As for a TV, fine but do really want to be tuning a telly just to watch it for an hour.

I’ve never met Robroy or Maoster but I agree with both. Use the lorry parks in town centres like Darlington, Upton upon Severn, Gosport, Kirkcaldy and get out of the cab for a walk and go for a pint and talk to strangers.

What drugs are some of these people on? Maoster and Robroy have always got the right answers!

A tool kit? Any problems with the motor and it’s ring it in to your office, let them make the decision on what to do, how to fix it is not your problem!

Truck stop to fill a flask? Ask for the kettle at drops/collections. Providing you’re not a knob customer’s will oblige, even be brazen enough to ask if they have got a shower you can use.

Get on SNAP! No, that creates problems for yourself.
So you are around Rhyl at teatime and can not do the next drop in Bangor until tomorrow morning, what now? Head back towards Chester area for the SNAP parking there (is there any?) or head over towards Bangor or even head to the Roadking at Holyhead? My choice would be find the leisure in Rhyl or nip into Llandudno for a quick shower (another piece of vital kit, swimming shorts) and then to Caernarvon lorry and coach park. Chinese over the road via Morrisons car park. Not wasted a load of time and diesel running back to Chester or Holyhead, more or less on the doorstep for Bangor in the morning for a brew and a wash before they start and another brew as you’re leaving. That’s just an example of what I would do, any other suggestions?

Earplugs for noisy lay-bys? That’s a big NO WAY. Getting rocked about all night be passing traffic waiting for nine hours to be up to drop straight back into the driving seat and off…

As for a TV, fine but do really want to be tuning a telly just to watch it for an hour.

I’ve never met Robroy or Maoster but I agree with both. Use the lorry parks in town centres like Darlington, Upton upon Severn, Gosport, Kirkcaldy and get out of the cab for a walk and go for a pint and talk to strangers.
As Grumpy Dad says, yes you will build up loads of stuff you think you need and will get rid of stuff you never use.

As said above I’d avoid services/truckstops and also laybye
I park in.industrial estates and have my own little hidey holes.
Where can open the door as wide as I want .
can chill out instead of listening to fella in next cab
Hands free as loud as possible talking to his misses about where he’s been.

Plus get better food. Have a walk.round sometimes get bus into.town.
Or walk round the countryside.
As for showers. Most motorway services have them.free of charge. Just go to wh smiths and ask.
I have one before I park up. Then again when I can next day.

Best advice I can give is.keep.a.look out for places you think look good to park while on your travels. Take a.note /postcode.
As overtime your be in.and.out of the same.places and your get to know

Thanks Chaps. I think starting with basics and adding stuff as and when I feel I’d benefit is the way forward. The idea of getting out of an evening to stretch my legs and get a bit of food around other humans appeals whenever possible. Doing a bit of agency work this week and although it’s fairly local I’ve been eyeing up places I could park up for if I was needing to. Plenty of food pubs and curry houses/ Chinese restaurants etc with places I could park within a 20 minute walk types of places. Town centre truck stops is a good idea. Gym and free motorway showers is a good shout too. The main thing is I’ve ordered my Minions pillow case!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And your also need these

danbabirecki:
Thanks Chaps. I think starting with basics and adding stuff as and when I feel I’d benefit is the way forward. The idea of getting out of an evening to stretch my legs and get a bit of food around other humans appeals whenever possible. Doing a bit of agency work this week and although it’s fairly local I’ve been eyeing up places I could park up for if I was needing to. Plenty of food pubs and curry houses/ Chinese restaurants etc with places I could park within a 20 minute walk types of places. Town centre truck stops is a good idea. Gym and free motorway showers is a good shout too. The main thing is I’ve ordered my Minions pillow case!

PureGym do a £14 a month membership, pay an extra £2 and you can use any of their gyms, and they are open 24/7.
I used to take a TRX with me, could with use it in an empty trailer or on the doors, it’s quite compact when stowed away and takes up no room.

edd1974:
And your also need these

What if he drives an merc?

I did look at Minions sleeping bags but they only do them for kids. At 5’6” I’m a small fella but even I want adult sized sleeping bag

cgscott:

edd1974:
And your also need these

He’ll be paralysed after a few weeks spine shaking so will be medically unfit to hold a licence anyway :wink:

cgscott:

edd1974:
And your also need these

Benjie83:
I’d also suggest a cheapie spare phone lobbed in a bag if doing distance work, old Nokia 3210 or whatever just in case modern tec goes ghostly on you…

O/p…What he really means is the old Nokia is handy if you get on with some bird down the road that you don’t want the Mrs to find out about. :laughing: :laughing:

robroy:

Benjie83:
I’d also suggest a cheapie spare phone lobbed in a bag if doing distance work, old Nokia 3210 or whatever just in case modern tec goes ghostly on you…

O/p…What he really means is the old Nokia is handy if you get on with some bird down the road that you don’t want the Mrs to find out about. [emoji38] [emoji38]

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Nah, I’d just Bury her when I’m done tbh, way less risk involved.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

@beanie…Hiya mate, you mentioned the truck park at Caernarvon, where abouts is it?
Years ago you could park down by the castle which they stopped, then you could park on the way out of town beside Morrisons which they built on.
So where is it now?
Just curious btw.

Benjie83:

robroy:

Benjie83:

O/p…What he really means is the old Nokia is handy if you get on with some bird down the road that you don’t want the Mrs to find out about. [emoji38] [emoji38]

Ah right, so you never go back for seconds then. :laughing:

Or maybe you do with a shovel. :open_mouth: :laughing:
This is getting too weird now, let’s knock it. :smiley:

robroy:

Benjie83:

robroy:

Benjie83:

Ah right, so you never go back for seconds then. [emoji38]

Or maybe you do with a shovel. :open_mouth: [emoji38]
This is getting too weird now, let’s knock it. :smiley:

[emoji38][emoji38]

Nae bother to me if the meats gone cold, no different to leftovers on boxing day…

Alas I have many a reason for my solution, to your assumption of my methods my good man…

One of my previous career paths means I’m quite adept at these types of solutions, should one find himself entwined in its rigmarole, thus I’d be secure in my suggested solution as I know I’d leave the Nokia on charge at some point… [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Well I picked up a few essentials and now I’ll just wing it tomorrow. No idea about the truck in terms of facilities nor do I know roughly where I’m headed. Magical mystery tour.

Keep us posted it feel free to ask anything. You can PM me if you prefer.

danbabirecki:
Well I picked up a few essentials and now I’ll just wing it tomorrow. No idea about the truck in terms of facilities nor do I know roughly where I’m headed. Magical mystery tour.

As I mentioned earlier, swimming shorts are in my essential kit for getting a shower at leisure centres/swimming pools (Stratford upon Avon and Chichester to name two where the lorry parking is available) and buy yourself an AA Truck Road Atlas. Dont rely solely on a sat nav. Good luck!