Tramping v day shift

I’m 26, married.
Did days now do tramping. I prefer tramping. Hasn’t made my marriage any worse. I will say though, I’m lucky because the good lady knew this is what I wanted to do before we got married.

PaulNowak:
If ignored sufficiently, it will go away. Hopefully, maybe even die

:open_mouth: Wow, a bit strong mate. :open_mouth:

PaulNowak:
Please stop replying to or quoting the post of this total troll. If ignored sufficiently, it will go away. Hopefully, maybe even die

That’s quite harsh, it’s just the internet. We can pretend to be who we want as long as it doesn’t hurt people, it can always be turned off. Real life is when you open your front door.

Dipper_Dave:
If your kids have grown up and your love life is in the doldrums then tramping can relight the flames of passion in a parting makes the heart grow fonder type way.
Catching ones wife in bed with another woman can be a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately for me it was the mother in law on a sleepover. I retreated to the sofa as my advances weren’t welcomed. Can’t say I didn’t try though.

you obviously didn’t try this approach on them…watch and learn…youtube.com/watch?v=R_z40-fI4Ec

tramping can spice up your love life easier when you go euro and head for la jon and other such similar delightful places on the national routes.

For- you get your own truck
More sleep
More money( enough that you don’t have to work o/t like day/ night shift )
Get to see more of country / Europe
Against
Don’t eat as well as you would at home
Don’t see family all week
Planner thinks it’s fine to abuse you ( 15/15/15/13/13 , run you out of hours on last shift)
All the little jobs ( cut the grass, clean the car etc) that you’d do through the week you have to do on your days off
some showers are filthy
Once your on it you try and get off it

i do tramping mon-fri but would love a day job but most of the money is crap unless on supermarket type work from what i can see,i know its horses for courses but starting work at 3am getting home at 2pm having to go to bed at 6pm to get enough sleep is pointless as my mrs gets in at 6 and thats when id want to be awake.my tramping work is mostly 6am starts to 6pm so normalish hours so a fai rly normal day only u cant go home! :confused:

I’ ve tramped for most of my life, it aint for everybody and it deffo aint as good as it used to be, especially on the social side. (You guys who park in lay bys won’t know wtf I’m on about :smiley: )

I aint sure I would actually recommend it to anybody today, but there you go.
If you make it as comfortsble as poss in terms of in cab kit, eat properly, shower regularly, and park with facilities it aint too bad its trampING…not being a tramp :bulb:

If it don’t suit you don’t do it, I suppose I’m old fashioned I’ve always looked upon nights out as something that goes hand in hand with the job, … no offence but I have always looked upon day men as just playing at it. (That honestly aint meant as an insult btw, so don’t bother retaliating)

As for the marriage thing, it aint always negative, in all cases.
Out of a group of us who have known each other from school, we went to Prague for a lad’s wk.end, the 2 of us that were life long trampers were the only two that had the one wife from young, the other lads were on their second and third.

If the o/p fancies it, give it a go but it’s a way of life rather than a job, and you won’t know until you try it.

We probably all end up doing what we want to, tramping comes in all shapes and sizes, a days work is a days work so forgetting that it’s how you spend your overnight stops that makes the difference.

If you are free to decide where and when you want to stop (and your load and vehicle allow such discretion) then tramping can be a good life…assuming your family if you have one are happy with a weekend or maybe only one day of partner or dad or whatever a week.
If you’re stuck in poxy RDC’s until two mins before your 15 hours is up then have to find the nearest ■■■■■■■■■■■■ with lorries thundering past all night then the life aint going to be much fun, maybe the company insist on safe (MSA) parking, well what a bloody dump those places are, are you tracked and must not divert from route? again not for me.

On the other hand if you are free to choose your own routes and get off the main roads and find alternative routes, such as lower A or high B roads with tucked out the way layby’s or small village style industrial estates along the way where you can park reasonably safely and wander half a mile to a pub for a pint and decent meal, then nights out can be enjoyable, you might meet other like minded drivers (or even normal people) and chew the cud for an hour or two over a pint.
This is my idea of tramping, the other lot stuck in ■■■■ stinking MSA’s or lorry parks with bloody fridges running all round is my idea of hell.

My night out days (sounds odd) are over, thankfully, but each to their own.

" Wot wood ya get for tramping? "

Well immigrant, I am a big fan of oak. Strong, traditional and nice to look at.

sweepster:
There is no way I’d do a full night in the bunk at the back of the cab, That’s just for napping.

I sleep sweet as a baby in my Actros. You get used to it. Bottom sheet, nice thick quilt and pillow and Bob’s that’s bloke who’s doing your Auntie.

If you’re single with no kids or hate your wife and kids then go for it.

Tramped for the last 3 years on and off. Gave it up in September as I was not enjoying lay bye, ind est, service area sleeping anymore, and the job had changed somewhat. Now home every night, I was a bit ■■■■■■ off commuting every day, but am now strangely content for now.

PaulNowak:
Please stop replying to or quoting the post of this total troll. If ignored sufficiently, it will go away. Hopefully, maybe even die

Blimey Paul, bit harsh sure you mean Seth. But for the innocent observer it may look like you mean me. Apologies if you do and I have done anything to upset you.

Hell no. Apologies all. I was merely suggesting we all just stop taking the bait from Immigrant. If nobody appears to be listening, he/she/it might just give up!

Seriously, no malice intended.

Tramping vs day work. Depending if you’re married:-

Which do you prefer, piles or earache?

robroy:
I’ ve tramped for most of my life, it aint for everybody and it deffo aint as good as it used to be, especially on the social side. (You guys who park in lay bys won’t know wtf I’m on about :smiley: )

If you make it as comfortsble as poss in terms of in cab kit, eat properly, shower regularly, and park with facilities it aint too bad its trampING…not being a tramp :bulb:

If it don’t suit you don’t do it, I suppose I’m old fashioned I’ve always looked upon nights out as something that goes hand in hand with the job, … no offence but I have always looked upon day men as just playing at it. (That honestly aint meant as an insult btw, so don’t bother retaliating)

Out of a group of us who have known each other from school, we went to Prague for a lad’s wk.end, the 2 of us that were life long trampers were the only two that had the one wife from young, the other lads were on their second and third.

If the o/p fancies it, give it a go but it’s a way of life rather than a job, and you won’t know until you try it.

Good post mate everything spot on.I did it 32yrs before ret.no regrets.
regards dave.

dafdave:

robroy:

Good post mate everything spot on.I did it 32yrs before ret.no regrets.
regards dave.

After your 32 yrs did you not find it hard to adjust to being home every night. I know that will sound sad to the ‘unbelievers’ :laughing: on here, but I have tramped for a similar amount of time to you.

My mate, an ex. tramper, who is also ex forces, reckons it is the same feeling as when he came out of the army, hard to re.adapt, you get into a habit and as you know it becomes a way of life.
I have been off since 19 Dec on hol, I definitely am not missing work, but have found it strange being home all the time.
Actually, come to think of it they’e right,… that DOES sound bloody sad :blush: :smiley:

Hi
Depends on what your looking for as night out money is to cover your costs . The company i work for pay for parking and the meal ticket no problems and supply a big truck and cab to do the nights away fridge microwave all the modern stuff. If the company you work for is going to look after you give it a go chap can always go back to days !!! Happy parking space hunting lol :laughing:

Also the only people who say tramping is for tramps and say they dont want to be dossin in lay bys full of ■■■■ or services being kept awake by a fridge all night etc are those who don’t know how to engage their brains and think off the beaten track. Too much hard work for some folk you see.
I always look for the industrial estates near pubs, town centres, council run car parks where trucks can park in town centres ( plenty around Wales) or bits of waste ground near amenities where I can go for a wonder, have a couple of jars and a nice pub meal or go for a takeaway or even sit down Chinese, Indian etc and have a chat to the locals.
Trouble is with this job too many drivers just want to be hermits when the card is pulled and close the curtains and that’s it untill the card goes back in. Once you have done a few week/month at it you will build a good portfolio of places where you know you can enjoy your “night out” even other drivers through word of mouth will give you good spots, however if you find a tidy spot just watch who you tell about it as before long every Tom, ■■■■ and Harry will be parking up there, ■■■■■■■ and ■■■■■■■■ in bottles and bags dumping them and leaving rubbish everywhere and you won’t be able to park there again.

My son is 5 in March and my daughter is 1 tomorrow. I only do days and I feel I’ve missed out on seeing them. I only get about 2 hours a worknight with them so I’m never applying for a tramping job. It would be almost impossible anyway as I’ve not got a class 1. I would like to but it’d be a waste of money at the moment.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Also the only people who say tramping is for tramps and say they dont want to be dossin in lay bys full of ■■■■ or services being kept awake by a fridge all night etc are those who don’t know how to engage their brains and think off the beaten track. Too much hard work for some folk you see.
I always look for the industrial estates near pubs, town centres, council run car parks where trucks can park in town centres ( plenty around Wales) or bits of waste ground near amenities where I can go for a wonder, have a couple of jars and a nice pub meal or go for a takeaway or even sit down Chinese, Indian etc and have a chat to the locals.
Trouble is with this job too many drivers just want to be hermits when the card is pulled and close the curtains and that’s it untill the card goes back in. Once you have done a few week/month at it you will build a good portfolio of places where you know you can enjoy your “night out” even other drivers through word of mouth will give you good spots, however if you find a tidy spot just watch who you tell about it as before long every Tom, ■■■■ and Harry will be parking up there, ■■■■■■■ and [zb] in bottles and bags dumping them and leaving rubbish everywhere and you won’t be able to park there again.

Agree with all if that. I am exactly the same.
I can never understand these guys that overnight in lay bys as it is, never mind the narrow lay bys with their mirrors pulled in :unamused: …do they not realise that the fact that their brain is telling them to pull their mirror in, that it also telling them…"It aint bloody suitable’'.! ! :bulb:
I have tramped for years, but I would not last 5 minutes living like that. :unamused: