Tramping question

what you should find is that a lot of firms will load you back to the area where your firm is located.
i used to work for longs of leeds and they always loaded me back to yorkshire the blue eyed boys used to load elsewhere… oh unless i used to load out darlaston in west midlands at ap uk toilet rolls for 3 drops london but then it was into tilbury back to leeds. most firms will be 3/4 nights a week.

out on a sunday afternoon and back home again on the saturday morning :wink:

What does the average/typical tramping job entail? Is it normally start Sun night, out all week then finish Fri night or is it too varied to say? I’m not thinking of doing it but would like to know for future reference.

It is very variable, for some companies it could just be 3 nights out, for others all week.

I tramp Mon-Fri Sometimes if Ive got an early delivery Monday morning I will go to yard Sunday night and kip in my truck,and leave early Monday,I just told my firm that they can send me anywhere as far away as possible all week,but try and make sure I get home Friday,and in 7 months I have only had to run in once on a Saturday,I mostly get 4 nights out a week but now and again I have to spend a night in the yard without night out money. I suppose it depends on what company you work for and the nature of the work. :wink: :wink:

I would be away 4-5 weeks at a time cos I would go and do my bit then drop a loaded fridge in Calais and another one would be shipped unnacompanied to me, then off I go again. I wanted it that way cos I have no ties and preffered not to be in the UK. :smiley:

Thanks for the replies

I do some European and some UK work.

Some weeks I start on Sunday and work through to Friday. For eg. This week I started on Sunday lunch time, took a ferry to Ireland, did 12 drops round Dublin and reloaded. Then got the ferry back Tuesday evening and tipped Wednesday morning and did a little local job getting home on Wednesday evening. Thursday I did a bit of local stuff in the morning, then went down to Newcastle, parked up for the night, tipped Friday and got back home Friday night. (There was a bit more to it than that, but that’s a different post :smiling_imp: ).

Some time before Christmas I did a trip to Southern Italy.
Monday was some local work, Tuesday I went up to Aberdeen, loaded and came back down to Rosyth to catch the ferry to Zeebrugge. Wednesday was a driving day down to about Ulm. Thursday was another driving day to about Bologna. Friday I got down to Taranto, arriving just in time to get tipped. Saturday I drove back northwards and found somewhere suitable to park for the Weekend, not too far from my reload.
Sunday I was doing the tourist bit :smiley: .
Monday I reloaded and headed north again, getting a bit further north than Bologna. Tuesday was a driving day, getting to somewhere like Frieburg (my memory is a bit hazy now, its a lot of miles ago :laughing: ). Wednesday I got back to Calais and crossed back to the south coast. Thursday I headed north and tipped. Friday I headed north again, reloaded and got home. I had Saturday and Sunday off, then started all over again, but down to Portugal this time :smiley: .

I normally start monday and finish friday or Saturday, generally 4 nights out or 5 if its 6 days. a couple in france and one on the ferry.

Although for a fortnight Ive been on locals, Tours to Dundee :stuck_out_tongue: