Tramping job ?

Hi all,please excuse my ignorance, but what’s a tramping job?

When you stay out and sleep in the lorry.

Do tramping jobs exist in cat. C or only in C+E

yes there are cat C vehicles with sleeper cabs :smiley:

Living like a tramp in a tin box?

Seany:
Living like a tramp in a tin box?

lol nice way of describing it :stuck_out_tongue:

You become very proficient at ■■■■■■■ up against the front wheel…

Like said above, a tramping job is when you sleep out in the lorry.

If you have any more queries or questions like this, you can use the Truckers Dictionary thread :slight_smile:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54967

Truckulent:

Really? Im a tramper and ive always managed to get to the toilet without ■■■■■■■ up the wheel or ■■■■■■■ myself… Maybe you need to see a doctor for some tablets…

Beetie:

Truckulent:

Really? Im a tramper and ive always managed to get to the toilet without ■■■■■■■ up the wheel or ■■■■■■■ myself… Maybe you need to see a doctor for some tablets…

I’ve never really got that.
Among the highlights I have seen, a driver, parked for the night at Kettering, standing at his cab door ■■■■■■■ out of it, just so he can walk through it later, another ■■■■■■■ on a bay wall at Tesco Harlow, 20 seconds walk from the toilets and the result of two Spanish drivers who decided to have a dump behind their trailer in our yard, right opposite the driver’s toilet which was labelled in Spanish :cry:

Regards,
Nick

ncooper:

Beetie:

Truckulent:

I’ve never really got that.
Among the highlights I have seen, a driver, parked for the night at Kettering, standing at his cab door ■■■■■■■ out of it, just so he can walk through it later, another ■■■■■■■ on a bay wall at Tesco Harlow, 20 seconds walk from the toilets and the result of two Spanish drivers who decided to have a dump behind their trailer in our yard, right opposite the driver’s toilet which was labelled in Spanish :cry:

Regards,
Nick

Winds me up a treat :smiling_imp: … Laziness pure and simple…

Truckulent:

Bit difficult for me to do that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Beetie:

ncooper:

Beetie:

Truckulent:

Regards,
Nick

Have always managed to find a toilet
Winds me up a treat :smiling_imp: … Laziness pure and simple…

Thanks to Sam Miller for his answer but I had already checked that link for an explanation and it was a bit vague. It just said it was a driver who goes where the next load takes them.I’m still wondering how long do these tramping jobs last? Are you away for a couple of days, a week, a month? What’s the usual story here. Also I have to say I love the way an Innocent question can get waylaid into a huge debate about something else altogether, ( “to ■■■■ or not to ■■■■” for example ).

richvanho:
Thanks to Sam Miller for his answer but I had already checked that link for an explanation and it was a bit vague. It just said it was a driver who goes where the next load takes them.I’m still wondering how long do these tramping jobs last? Are you away for a couple of days, a week, a month? What’s the usual story here. Also I have to say I love the way an Innocent question can get waylaid into a huge debate about something else altogether, ( “to ■■■■ or not to ■■■■” for example ).

They usually last minimum of a week but can last up to months.

Similar to ships that travel the world picking up cargo,one port to the other. :smiley:

Tramping; put middle east in the search box. some good stories & tramping in its true sence.

Take a load out, tip it, get given an address to reload. Tip that, get given an address to reload - repeat as necessary :smiley:

richvanho:
Hi all,please excuse my ignorance, but what’s a tramping job?

Hi richvanho,

That’s a great question, so I’ll do my best to help.

There are a few uses for the word “tramping.”

First, let’s separate it from “nights out.”
Nights out is normally when you have insufficient drivers hours to reach a destination, and then need to park up for the night. You continue the next day, tip, reload (maybe needing another night out) and then return to base. IMHO, whether you do that on national or international transport makes no difference cos I wouldn’t call it “tramping.”

Tramping is more along the lines of leaving base on a Sun/Mon, then delivering and reloading to/from towns/cities all over the place as necessary before returning to base after having been away all week, or for just a few days. Of course, trampers must do “nights out” as part of tramping.

In my 30ish years in transport, I did Euro tramping for about 10 of those years. Frequently, I was away from the UK for 6-8 weeks at a time. Here are a couple of examples:
Leave the UK with a drop in France, 3 drops in Belgium and a drop in Sweden.
(I haven’t tramped if I reloaded in Sweden for the UK.)
I reloaded in Sweden for delivery to Holland. (Now I’m tramping.)
I then went empty into Germany and loaded for Spain. I delivered that load in Spain and reloaded in Spain for delivery to Italy. Once I’d delivered that, I reloaded in Italy for the UK.

I took a load from the UK and delivered it to Italy. I reloaded in Italy and delivered that to Norway. I went empty from Norway to Sweden and reloaded for Italy. I delivered that then reloaded in Italy for Spain. I reloaded in Spain for Belgium. I went empty from Belgium into Germany where I reloaded for Italy. I then reloaded in Italy for the UK, but collected some more stuff from Luxembourg for the UK on the way.

If you substitute UK towns/cities for the above, then you’re a UK tramper.

I hope that helps. :smiley:

Tramping originally meant going away with a load on a Sunday and the driver finding himself a reload when tipped, in those days, where you went next depended on the digs, and a recent copy of Headlight magazine.

It came from the maritime, Tramp Steamer where they used Shipping Agents to consolidate a full load. Drivers were using Contacts or Clearing Houses in the same way, when you got back to the yard, you handed in your paperwork and told the boss where you had been, not the other way round.