Tramping for lazy people

I have always stuggled to get up at 3 am for a 4 am start and have worked doing night trunks for a while.

Work agency these days, flexability suits me, but running up to Christmas I was hoping to get some regular work save up for a quiet Jan/Feb but I have been quiet recently. Been offered tramping work, 5 day week. Is it possible to do the job and start work at a reasnable time?

With tramping…you have some flexibility.
You can choose to drive closer to your next days destination jf you have the time. Then have a lie in. Or stop earlier then leave earlier next morning.
Starts times.do vary depending on booking in slots etc
But main advantage of tramping don’t have to drive to work.
So say you live half.an.hour drive from work
Because not driving there you get an extra hours sleep.
And same when finish…if tired just pull curtains shut n sleep so t have drive home

Macski:
I have always stuggled to get up at 3 am for a 4 am start and have worked doing night trunks for a while.

Work agency these days, flexability suits me, but running up to Christmas I was hoping to get some regular work save up for a quiet Jan/Feb but I have been quiet recently. Been offered tramping work, 5 day week. Is it possible to do the job and start work at a reasnable time?

Why do you class starting at a civilised time rather than a ridiculous one as being ‘‘lazy’’ exactly ? :unamused:
I personally don’t start before 6 am, not because I’m lazy it’s just that I could not raise the required amount of enthusiasm to get my arse out of bed half way through the night at around 2am, and what is the point?
But that is just me who has not got a great deal of interest in the job anymore,.and who has zero desire to impress anybody who is a boss.
Tramping can be enjoyable or a pain in the ■■■■,.doi g those time starts everyday ain’t my idea of pleasure.

We’ve got these absolute balloons at our place who give up their Sunday afternoons (unpaid) to sleep in the yard …to be able to get away one minute after midnight. :open_mouth: …and not because they are told to either ! :open_mouth: you see them parked up with curtains drawn up and down the country at 2 o clock in the afternoon .

I’ve said before it’s a job not a ■■■■ endurance test,.and driving 44 tonnes whilst tired is going to end up.as a ■■■■ up scenario.

If you get a life or death job that must be there early fair do.s,but why make your job.(and life) hard for yourself otherwise? :bulb:

Your thread title should be…
‘Tramping for guys who have their head screwed on and who have the job sussed’’

robroy:

Macski:

Why do you class starting at a civilised time rather than a ridiculous one as being ‘‘lazy’’ exactly ? :unamused:
I personally don’t start before 6 am, not because I’m lazy it’s just that I could not raise the required amount of enthusiasm to get my arse out of bed half way through the night at around 2am, and what is the point?
But that is just me who has not got a great deal of interest in the job anymore,.and who has zero desire to impress anybody who is a boss.
Tramping can be enjoyable or a pain in the ■■■■,.doi g those time starts everyday ain’t my idea of pleasure.

We’ve got these absolute balloons at our place who give up their Sunday afternoons (unpaid) to sleep in the yard …to be able to get away one minute after midnight. :open_mouth: …and not because they are told to either ! :open_mouth: you see them parked up with curtains drawn up and down the country at 2 o clock in the afternoon .

I’ve said before it’s a job not a [zb] endurance test,.and driving 44 tonnes whilst tired is going to end up.as a ■■■■ up scenario.

If you get a life or death job that must be there early fair do.s,but why make your job.(and life) hard for yourself otherwise? :bulb:

Your thread title should be…
‘Tramping for guys who have their head screwed on and who have the job sussed’’

The title is my attempt at homour.

I am OK with tramping, did it when I had my own truck, pefer doing an early afternoon/evening shift. I go to bed at 4am.

Macski:
The title is my attempt at humour.

Aye, so is mine. :smiley:

I have been tramping for years and I found it much easier than day work or night work. For one thing when you wake up, you are already at work without the hassle of getting out of bed at ridiculous o clock to travel to work, I got more hours to myself tramping than I ever did day working. Why I have taken to coach tour driving as I find it much easier being away in hotels all week. If you havent tried tramping before it is easier than day work in my humble opinion.

Yorkshire Tramper:
I have been tramping for years and I found it much easier than day work or night work. For one thing when you wake up, you are already at work without the hassle of getting out of bed at ridiculous o clock to travel to work, I got more hours to myself tramping than I ever did day working. Why I have taken to coach tour driving as I find it much easier being away in hotels all week. If you havent tried tramping before it is easier than day work in my humble opinion.

Yep, I agree.
I couldn’t think of anything worse (slight exaggeration btw :smiley: ) than doing 13 hours, (or worse a 15) and then travelling back home to get my tea,.■■■■■■ some sleep, then set off again travelling to work, to start the whole drudge over again…and again.
But each to his own.

Fair enough if it was 8 hours or so like a proper job, but not at the hours that you are expected to work in this game, just sounds like a bit of a rat race to me.

Ok, tramping has it’s down sides, but it can be,.(and is) a good life, …but only if you do it properly that is. :bulb: :wink:

robroy:
Ok, tramping has it’s down sides, but it can be,.(and is) a good life, …but only if you do it properly that is. :bulb: :wink:

Nail on the head. Once mastered it becomes an easy life. I honestly could never be a day driver ever again. If I returned to HGV driving, only one way for me and that is tramping.

How sad that lorry drivers would prefer to spend all week away from there families than with them , I hated every minute of tramping as I wanted to be at home wit the family , doing what normal people do
Begs the question why half the trampers get married & have kids if they don’t want to see them all week

dozy:
How sad that lorry drivers would prefer to spend all week away from there families than with them , I hated every minute of tramping as I wanted to be at home wit the family , doing what normal people do
Begs the question why half the trampers get married & have kids if they don’t want to see them all week

It isn’t the fact of preference between at home with the family or not. When I was day driving I saw my wife for maybe an hour or so of quality time. I look forward to going home and seeing them every weekend, the job of tramping is more of a lifestyle than anything, not saying it is for everyone but I would rather spend quality time at home and not be shattered by the ridiculous hours as well as sneaking around the house so as not to wake anyone up. I have a good relationship with my wife and we don’t need to be with each other 24/7.

dozy:

Hey, don’t be sad for me doze,.I’m fine mate. :sunglasses:
:blush:
It also ‘‘begs the question’’… if you ‘hated’ it that much, why did you do it for so long,.did you have a gun to your head, or your arm up your back?

And why did you leave a lucrative trade when you were literally guaranteed to be home every night with your wife and family?
Doesn’t figure doze man tbh .

And as we’ve discussed before, your idea of ‘‘tramping’’ is much different to mine, and ifwhat you have told us on here regularly about the way you approached it, I would have lasted a year tops doing it that way …so with that in mind,. I maybe take your point after all. :wink:

In my case I met my Mrs as a driver, she knew what she was taking on, and it worked for us…still does,.‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’’ and all that. :wink:

Ok I missed a lot of my kids growing up, but I just got on with it as working in a factory would drive me up the wall…and did when I was younger,.doing the same trade as you.

I get long weekends now,.which kinda compensates for weeks away all my life, and weekends abroad etc.

So to sum up doze, on the whole,.I’m still healthy, stunningly good looking…reasonably fit, not rich but comfortable, and have a (very) hot wife. :sunglasses: …and my team is flying. :smiley:
So as I say doze…dont be sad for ME. :wink:

A few other factors here, it isn’t just trampers that miss their families, there are countless careers that take people away from their families for periods of time. Deep sea divers, military personnel, oil rig workers, engineers, fishermen, merchant navy, I could go on and on. Nowadays working away from home is as common as working from home. It suits a lot of couples as they both have their own independance and dont drive each other up the wall. Nothing special about tramping, Suited me for years as I still am suited to being away all week now. Either you just get used to it or it is something that suits you. Every driver should at least try it before condeming it. Those that use the term “living in a tin can” usually have never tried it but repeat the saying thinking that is correct.

Yorkshire Tramper:
A few other factors here, it isn’t just trampers that miss their families, there are countless careers that take people away from their families for periods of time. Deep sea divers, military personnel, oil rig workers, engineers, fishermen, merchant navy, I could go on and on. Nowadays working away from home is as common as working from home. It suits a lot of couples as they both have their own independance and dont drive each other up the wall. Nothing special about tramping, Suited me for years as I still am suited to being away all week now. Either you just get used to it or it is something that suits you. Every driver should at least try it before condeming it. Those that use the term “living in a tin can” usually have never tried it but repeat the saying thinking that is correct.

The ‘‘tin can’’ guys associate tramping with maybe a one off bad experience they have had…
On a day run, but time up after 15 hours unexpectedly…, totally ■■■■■■ off in a minging truck, parked up in a lay by with a Mars bar and a bottle of pop for tea, in a grotty lay by on the A14 , and getting rocked to death with little sleep…in a old sleeping bag and a jacket for a pillow, and waking up 9 hours later in same stinking truck (with 3 hours sleep) feeling like crap, until they can get to a MSA for a ‘cat lick’ wash and a coffee reviver. :laughing:
A bit like ‘‘dozy style tramping’’ in fact…sorry doze, only joking mate :wink: . :laughing:

dozy:

I enjoyed tramping when I was younger and tramping meant driving all over Europe. When my kids were born I did back off a bit but was still away all week. About five years ago I decided that I didn’t want to do nights out any more so went on to day work.

The point is that you can adapt to whatever else is going on in life, and build your job around your life and not the other way round.

I have been tramping as a class 1 driver for just over 2 years now.
I really like it. All mod cons in my truck, so don’t go without. Daily access to shower etc.
I enjoy the peace and quiet of it to be fair. My job is very easy and no stress at all.
I pick my start and finish times to suit me.
Don’t do many 15 hr days and rarely use a 10 hr drive. I’ve found as I’ve got used to the job and regular drops, that good planning makes it an easy life.
It’s what you make it.

trevorking1964:
It’s what YOU make it.

Exactly this
If you make it a life of crap it’s a life of crap.
If you make it enjoyable it’s enjoyable
Ok it ain’t a cushy bed of roses non stop, …but neither need it be a run ragged, not sleeping, not eating nor sleeping properly , complete cluster ■■■■ of an endurance excercise as some consider it or practice it.

wOuld never do tramping work when I had my dog!

Macski:
wOuld never do tramping work when I had my dog!

Not take it with you?

Macski:
Been offered tramping work, 5 day week. Is it possible to do the job and start work at a reasnable time?

Definitely. My lad will start around 5am on a Monday morning but for the rest of the week its 6-7am. He tries to get to or near where his first drop is the following day.

As robroy said it’s what you make it. When he first started he used to chase himself ragged, no doubt due to the fact he’d only recently got a licence. Four years in and he’s long since learnt to slow down.

I have a question that ties in with this, the “lazy” part referring to part time as opposed to early starts. I was interested to read on the recent “start times” thread that a lot of respondents work 3 days a week. Are any of them trampers? Is there such a shift as a 2 night/3 day tramp? Or are trampers mainly out 4 nights/5 days? robroy, you must do a 3 night/4 day tramp, correct? I would like to try tramping (the good way) because I think I would like it for the same reasons stated in this thread, and as I’m a long term agency driver, I could see myself doing a part time tramping shift once a month or so. Possible?