Tramping first time on job

im going on my first hgv 1 job tramping from monday to fri , can any one give me some tips as to what i should take with me, and any tips at all on tramping in general. thanks for your time kev .

gas stove and gas, pans, cuttlery, coffee/tea sugar, milk, bottles of water (to cook with)

then id say… uncle bens bag’s of rice, tins of curry, chicken in white win sauce, etc, anything to mix in with rice (if ur not in a truck stop)

a good fridge, so u can carry bread, milk, marg, and general sandwich stuff, also have a nice cold beer at end of day.

dont forget sleep stuff, wash stuff and i always carry face wipes…as always handy to have quick wash down with… towel.

hope this helps

these are the basic i carry…

that would be a good place to start, the only other thing I would add to that is something to entertain yourself of an evening.

To start I would suggest a few good books.
See how you get on with tramping first, then perhaps you can look at things like a dvd player/tv etc

Don’t feel you need to get a fridge/coolbox straight away either. There are ways of getting by without. (I believe Lucy used to use a coolbag tied to the roof under the roof air deflectors. Besides a lot of the newer trucks have built in fridges now anyway AFAIK

The point I am trying to get across is don’t spend vast sums of money on expensive kit untill you know the job is for you!!!

a telephone number of another driver same company to get info places to fuel up where certain drops/pickups are plus they ll also give you an idea on certain loads ie loading such n such you need ten straps there n there etc goodluck

All good advise so far.

I agree with Semtex about buying expensive gear. A fridge us very nice, but a small (half litre) screw top carton of milk in a plastic bag on the step, with the top of the bag caught in the door to keep it upright will keep milk cool enough for one or two days, unless it’s really hot. It’s easy enough to get fresh milk every other day.

Basic cooking gear is essential. Some emergency, easy to cook grub too. If you’re stuck in the middle of an industrial estate somewhere waiting, you want to be able to make a brew or knock up a hot meal.
Using a truckstop is a lot less hassle though. You need money to spend, but washing facilities are there, a hot meal is waiting for you to fork over the cash, there’s probably a bar. All the comforts of home (OK, that needs a lot of imagination :laughing: ). Plus, you can moan about that last drop/collection. Get advise about good routes from drivers who are doing the job. Put the world to rights etc. Or have your meal and go back to your cab for a quiet evening reading, watching a DVD, or whatever.

Add to your list, the AA Truckers Atlas, either one will do, the large scale has a lot more detail, but is a lot bulkier and more expensive. The smaller scale one has enough detail to get you pretty close to where you want to be. You can add Philips large scale county maps to your collection as you find you need them.
Or splash out on a Sat-Nav, all the info of a map from city plan scale up to country wide routing in a package which fits in your pocket. The downside of Sat-Nav is widely documented all over the media. Don’t forget though, you are the driver, hit a bridge and whine, “my sat-nav told me to come this way”, we’ll just point and laugh at you. :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

It’s your money, make your own choices.