Tramping - digi/driver card

Hey up

When tramping:

Do you leave your digi/driver card in the tacho for the whole period your out, say 4 nights/5 days and just select Rest before daily rest period in the cab or do you take card out as if on normal day/night shifts.

Thanks in advance

UPDATE EDIT
Thanks for all the replies. General consensus so far is that there is no right or wrong way. So either option is good, but keep replies coming if you know differently. Thanks

Norfolk in chance:
Hey up

When tramping:

Do you leave your digi/driver card in the tacho for the whole period your out, say 4 nights/5 days and just select Rest before daily rest period in the cab or do you take card out as if on normal day/night shifts.

Thanks in advance

I always take mine out and put both drivers 1 and 2 on rest mode at the end of the daily shift

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I leave mine in all week and just change it to bed when parked up, sort of company policy at our place as that’s what the TM likes us to do.

Just leave mine In when nights out. Select break and that’s it

Either way is OK.

If you take the card out, and then three hours later need to move the motor a few yards (eg to let another driver out) you’ll not be interrupting your recorded break. On the other hand, if you leave the card in you’ll not risk fouling up a manual entry next day.

In this country I don’t think it makes any difference, although as I understand it some of the enforcement agencies in Euroland like to see everything recorded on the card (or other traceable document) should your work take you over the water.

I take it out, by the way once out makes no difference putting tacho on break.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
Either way is OK.

If you take the card out, and then three hours later need to move the motor a few yards (eg to let another driver out) you’ll not be interrupting your recorded break. On the other hand, if you leave the card in you’ll not risk fouling up a manual entry next day.

In this country I don’t think it makes any difference, although as I understand it some of the enforcement agencies in Euroland like to see everything recorded on the card (or other traceable document) should your work take you over the water.

I mostly work Euro and pop my card at night. No problems with that now, although in past times, yes they wanted a disc in.
Although many dont bother it is a requirement to enter start and end country at start and end of shift. I pop the card to prompt me to do this. Yes, it costs money if you dont.
If you must move truck when on break or daily rest, you are in a bind whichever way you look. Pop the card and it may look as if you are trying to hide something when the head is down loaded, or, it is there straight away on your own card.
Two different drivers with an unexplained move is one thing, the same driver all week with an unrecorded move? Looks very different.
What`s worse, a small move on the card, or a move off the card?

But either way can work.

I take mine out and put tacho on rest, purely so it displays total rest when I flick ignition on in the morning as I’m getting old and forgetful
Ps How long before we’re searching thru the UK sub-menu for Eire,Wales & Scotland when going over the borders??
[emoji54][emoji54][emoji54]

I do a mix of Euro-tramping and UK nights out. I put my card in at the start and leave it in overnight, on break obviously.
Once I’m parked up for the night I also log-off with whatever country I’m in and log-on with whatever country I’m in. It can change overnight because I’ll park up for an overnight on the ferry at Hull and start the next morning in Rotterdam, and then another night I’ll do the reverse journey.
On UK work, the nights I’m out I leave my card in and log-off (and on) in UK. When I’m back in the yard and away home for the night, I pull my card then put it back in at the start of my shift the next morning.

I can move my truck a short distance, a couple of truck lengths, without it showing on my digicard. The head will change to driving while my truck’s in motion, but if I click it back onto break immediately after I stop it’ll carry on as if I hadn’t moved (I did a print-out once to verify this). However, if I move any further, it’ll register a movement. Exactly how far I can move, or for how long I can be moving, I’m not too sure. It would have to be under a minute I would expect.

polytrotter:
I take mine out and put tacho on rest, purely so it displays total rest when I flick ignition on in the morning as I’m getting old and forgetful
Ps How long before we’re searching thru the UK sub-menu for Eire,Wales & Scotland when going over the borders??

Why would Eire be on the UK sub menu? Or indeed Wales or Scotland if they voted to leave the union?

Simon:
I can move my truck a short distance, a couple of truck lengths, without it showing on my digicard. The head will change to driving while my truck’s in motion, but if I click it back onto break immediately after I stop it’ll carry on as if I hadn’t moved (I did a print-out once to verify this). However, if I move any further, it’ll register a movement. Exactly how far I can move, or for how long I can be moving, I’m not too sure. It would have to be under a minute I would expect.

As long as your card is looked at on its own, the “illegal” movement will indeed be hidden. But the movement is still recorded on the head unit, and if it was necessary to prove that the vehicle was moved while you were recording Rest it could easily be done. It’s never going to be an issue in reality, of course, but if such “hidden” movements were a frequent occurrence it would be easily visible should DVSA look in depth…

Irishtrucker66:

polytrotter:

Why would Eire be on the UK sub menu? Or indeed Wales or Scotland if they voted to leave the union?

Uh yeah, tongue was firmly in my cheek. [emoji106]

On another note I’ve always wondered why the UK didn’t go the same route as Spain using our counties to book off in [emoji2369][emoji2369]

Roymondo:

Simon:

As long as your card is looked at on its own, the “illegal” movement will indeed be hidden. But the movement is still recorded on the head unit, and if it was necessary to prove that the vehicle was moved while you were recording Rest it could easily be done. It’s never going to be an issue in reality, of course, but if such “hidden” movements were a frequent occurrence it would be easily visible should DVSA look in depth…

I suppose one offs would be ignored, trucks are moved about all the time in the yard without a card in when drivers are on a daily rest.
Does vosa download off the tacho head on a stop or do they just read the driver card, I don’t know, not been stopped by them for at least 20 years.

Goes in first thing mon ( with a manual entry for prev fri / sat finish time , moN start time ) then stays in until finish fri / sat , this was what I was told was required by vosa/ company compliance officer , both gave the same reason , if you leave your card in you won’t be tempted to move ,

weeto:

Roymondo:

Simon:

I suppose one offs would be ignored, trucks are moved about all the time in the yard without a card in when drivers are on a daily rest.
Does vosa download off the tacho head on a stop or do they just read the driver card, I don’t know, not been stopped by them for at least 20 years.

On a routine stop the head is downloaded the drivers card is not removed, the VOSA man puts his control card in slot 2 then removes the paper roll cover and plugs a memory stick into the socket and downloads everything then downloads it on to the computer in the office for analysis

When I was running my own truck I used to leave the tacho card in for six weeks at a time, only ever took it out for the six-weekly PMI.

Norfolk in chance:
Hey up

When tramping:

Thanks in advance

UPDATE EDIT
Thanks for all the replies. General consensus so far is that there is no right or wrong way. So either option is good, but keep replies coming if you know differently. Thanks

Are you my cousin? :open_mouth:

When I used to night out I took the card out, it was just my routine, I’m the kind of idiot that would forget to switch mode…